Runrig Tattoos

Fun & Games, Birthdays, Film, Books, Sport, Hobbies whatever floats your boat talk about it in here.
Munros285
Your favourite Runrig song: Maymorning
Favourite Album: Once in a Lifetime
Favourite Gig: Scone 2009

Runrig Tattoos

Postby Munros285 » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:29 pm

Hi All!

There are two parts to this post.

I'm planning on getting a Runrig Tattoo with some lyrics in Gaelic from my favourite Runrig song, Maymorning. I've always admired this song and because I was born in the month of May I have always been drawn to it.

My problem is, I don't know Gaelic or anybody that can speak or translate into Gaelic. I would use Google Translate but all those horror stories of false translations with tattoos meaning something else rather than what the person wanted has turned me off. Therefore I am looking for somebody who can give me a hand and help translate lyrics into Gaelic. Whilst nobody will be able to read what it says, I know I will and it will be personal.

Can anybody give me a contact or can somebody translate these well known lyrics - "I'm alive again on a Maymorning" - into Gaelic?

I would immensely appreciate the help. :D

Who has a Runrig tattoo and would like to show it off? Does anybody have a particularly creative tattoo? or one which you haven't/ have regretted having done?

It's all in the aid of some fun. It would be brilliant to see what other Runrig fans have had tattooed in the past. :-P

Thanks,

Munros285
0 x

puffin
Engine Room

Re: Runrig Tattoos

Postby puffin » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:05 am

Forget Google Translate - it only has Irish Gaelic anyway so is no use at all!

There are a few Gaelic speakers on here - or if you're on Facebook you could try asking in one of the Runrig fans groups there. Good luck! :)
0 x
And I dream of a day when our superficial gaze
is replaced with something more real
And the lines on the face are a thing to celebrate
for the tales that they tell

[FolkLaw c.Nick Gibbs 'The Tales That They Tell']

Crunchie
Forum Admin

Postby Crunchie » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:14 pm

My first port of call would be http://www.foramnagaidhlig.net/ it's a Gaelic forum but it has labels in English so you know where you're going. Someone there might be able to help! :D
0 x

LilithNoor
Your favourite Runrig song: Alba
Favourite Album: Amazing Things

Postby LilithNoor » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:31 pm

My Gaelic is still at beginner level, but I'll have a bash.

Tha mi bèo a-rithist - I'm alive again
Air Madainn Chèitinn - on a morning in May

it would be pronounced something like 'HA me BE-oh a REE-ist air MA-tinn CHEY-tin' - emphasis is almost always on the first syllable in Gaelic. The CH is soft like loCH or a' CHaluim.

I recall someone saying that a lot of Runrig songs work as well in either language due to Calum and Rory being bilingual. Can only confess my translation doesn't scan quite as well as the original!
1 x

urbanite
Your favourite Runrig song: Proterra
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Usher Hall 2009 (my first 'live' experience)

Postby urbanite » Mon Sep 14, 2015 2:19 pm

I have to say that tattoos give me the creeps - not at all improved by all the TV programmes that seem to be on these days (in Englamd at least). But I guess a Runrig tattoo might persuade me (though a Welsh dragon hasn't done so in a lot more years than I will own up to)
The caution against having text is to make sure that you have checked, double checked and treble checked what it is that you're getting... Or to quote from the Big Bang Theory "why do you have a tattoo of the Chinese symbol for 'soup'?" "That's not 'soup', it's 'courage'!" "well, I suppose it does take courage to get soup tattooed on you!"
0 x

Return to “Off Topic”