Feedback on new software/style etc

Fun & Games, Birthdays, Film, Books, Sport, Hobbies whatever floats your boat talk about it in here.
Crunchie
Forum Admin

Feedback on new software/style etc

Postby Crunchie » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:32 pm

As per the updates we might get stuck with this style for a while chaps, if anyone has any feedback on it please feel free to give it here. On the old version of the forum there were two default styles one of which I modified to give the little shinty guy logo and Stamping ground buttons. Unfortunately with the latest software upgrade the developers have decided not to support the old style I used and so we have this one instead. Aside from the graphics there are other differences such as user information displaying to the right of posts. I will be working on a set of graphics similar to the old style but it depends on when I get time.

The main new feature is the "notifications" which appear at the top of the forum, they'll inform you if someone replies to one of your posts/threads etc. you can edit the notification settings in "Board preferences" in your user control panel.
0 x

puffin
Engine Room

Re: Feedback on new software/style etc

Postby puffin » Tue Dec 02, 2014 11:49 pm

I'm sure we will soon get used to it - Just a bit of a surprise arriving all of a sudden on an unfamiliar blue page!

Well done on sorting out the upgrades and keeping us all together. :rose: :rose:
0 x
And I dream of a day when our superficial gaze
is replaced with something more real
And the lines on the face are a thing to celebrate
for the tales that they tell

[FolkLaw c.Nick Gibbs 'The Tales That They Tell']

Crunchie
Forum Admin

Postby Crunchie » Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:27 am

I'm already hating the "40" forum buttons, need to change them.
0 x

Bine
Your favourite Runrig song: Big Sky
Favourite Album: Mara
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness 2007

Postby Bine » Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:48 pm

I like the new colour.
Other style changes are a matter of getting used to them, but nothing that would bother me.
So far, I haven't found an 'activ topics'* button, but possibly, I'm only blind. ;)
And I like the fact that I don't need to upload a new avatar which was required after one of the earlier updates.
Very good job, Crunchie! :rose:

* Edit:
I've found it :D
0 x

run132
Engine Room
Your favourite Runrig song: Impossible to say!
Favourite Album: Em, all of them!
Favourite Gig: Too many to list!

Postby run132 » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:08 pm

Well done for keeping the forum going Crunchie, I am happy just so long as it is here! Three cheers!
0 x

gillyp
Your favourite Runrig song: Every River, Proterra, today!
Favourite Album: 50 songs
Favourite Gig: Inverness

Postby gillyp » Thu Dec 04, 2014 11:51 am

Thanks Crunchie, all working well here!
0 x

urbanite
Your favourite Runrig song: Proterra
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Usher Hall 2009 (my first 'live' experience)

Postby urbanite » Wed Dec 10, 2014 12:22 am

When things start livening up on the forum, how will we know where the new posts are and will we be able to go to the first unread post as the previous software allowed?

On a personal issue, as a right-hander using an iPad, I use the right-hand side of the screen for scrolling - with the profile/icons there it becomes a distraction when I'm scrolling and suddenly find I'm being redirected to a member's profile (though I accept that the left-handlers may have felt the same way about the profiles previously being on the left)
0 x

Crunchie
Forum Admin

Postby Crunchie » Wed Dec 10, 2014 9:32 am

Hi urbanite,

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

When the forum gets busier the little Stamping Ground logos on the front page should light up as follows:

No new posts
forum_read.gif
forum_read.gif (1.43 KiB) Viewed 1182 times

forum_unread.gif
forum_unread.gif (1.43 KiB) Viewed 1182 times

On the forums themselves topics with new posts light up as follows:
No new posts
topic_read.gif
topic_read.gif (653 Bytes) Viewed 1182 times

topic_unread.gif
topic_unread.gif (652 Bytes) Viewed 1182 times

On the topics themselves you can click the following icon to go straight to the new posts:
icon_post_target_unread.gif
icon_post_target_unread.gif (89 Bytes) Viewed 1182 times

The Quick links menu at the top left of the forum can highlight any unread posts.
new.jpg
new.jpg (53.14 KiB) Viewed 1180 times

Unfortunately the new style is something I can't change just yet. When we first opened the new forum there was two default styles to pick from (subsilver and prosilver). I chose the subsilver style to be the default but for whatever reason the developers have not chosen to make it available for the latest upgrade. I am keeping my eye on the developers website and as soon as any style similar to our old one appears I will install it here and let people know.
0 x

Zephyr
Your favourite Runrig song: This Darkest Winter
Favourite Album: The Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Barrowlands2010

Postby Zephyr » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:03 am

Thanks Crunchie for all of your hard work. It was a bit of a surprise to see the new pages. It has an updated, clean and more colorful look now, if a bit confusing because its new. But one can get used to anything with time. I like the way it looks and it seems a bit more useful, not that i had figured out the old one all that well! I couldn't figure out how to add the avatar back when we lost them on the last change. Will have to try again.
I like the blue. Easier to read. Good work!
0 x
Seinn, seinn, seinn, Òran ur, òran an uir

Return to “Off Topic”