Camping aids

Fun & Games, Birthdays, Film, Books, Sport, Hobbies whatever floats your boat talk about it in here.
mort's cap

Camping aids

Postby mort's cap » Fri Aug 15, 2014 5:55 pm

Only two weeks to go till Tonder and excitement is building at the prospect of another 40th birthday party, this time for the festival itself :music: The last time I camped was at Tonder in 2004 so I've been acquiring some of the mod cons that are now available to make the experience slightly less uncomfortable. Funky blue pocket wellies, a gas/electric-free cook pot, and now I'm really buzzing because.....my Travel Johns have arrived :) At the risk of sounding a bit too interested in po-related things (see other thread), this looks like a really handy device to avoid the need to leave your tent in the middle of the night, though unfortunately not handy enough to avoid the need to leave the queue when standing outside waiting for a Runrig gig :D Has anyone used these and found them okay? That question is directed at the ladies as I presume the men make other arrangements :roll: You can PM me if you have any tips you don't particularly want to share with everyone else!
0 x
There's a sky of newest blue

Data1964
Chief joke-teller
Your favourite Runrig song: Chi Mi'n Geamhreadh, Every River
Favourite Album: The Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Bristol 05, BORLUM 07

Re: Camping aids

Postby Data1964 » Sat Aug 16, 2014 6:15 pm

I use a 1litre plastic milk bottle. Its a wide opening, screw on cap, watertight bottle and very cheap and recyclable!
0 x
Grant me absolute forgiveness for the fool I am!

A h-uile là sona dhuibh 's gun là idir dona dhuib.

Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein loma-làn easgannan

mort's cap

Postby mort's cap » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:34 am

Data1964, this is a bit different. It's not just a receptacle. The liquid turns to a solid within a few seconds of coming into contact with the crystals at the bottom of the bag. You then seal it up (when full - it takes nearly a litre!) and dispose of it in an ordinary bin. No smells or anything.
0 x

From_t'North
Your favourite Runrig song: Ubhal as Airde
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Nottingham June 1993 - my first

Postby From_t'North » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:57 pm

We just took a portapotti to POTM. After YotF at Drumnadrochit, I just couldn't face the campsite loos. We had it in the living area of the tent. Luxury!
0 x
There's a place
Where the rocks of Caithness
Lie beside the ocean
On summer days
...It's the future and it's safe

Zephyr
Your favourite Runrig song: This Darkest Winter
Favourite Album: The Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Barrowlands2010

Postby Zephyr » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:15 am

mort's cap wrote:Data1964, this is a bit different. It's not just a receptacle. The liquid turns to a solid within a few seconds of coming into contact with the crystals at the bottom of the bag. You then seal it up (when full - it takes nearly a litre!) and dispose of it in an ordinary bin. No smells or anything.

Sounds like kitty litter! :D What an idea. Can't say I've ever tried it though. Good luck.
0 x
Seinn, seinn, seinn, Òran ur, òran an uir

roadtrip
Your favourite Runrig song: Too many to list
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: New York, 2004

Postby roadtrip » Thu Sep 04, 2014 5:23 pm

Sounds like a job for adult diapers to me. You can wear them at night and in line too. Not sure if they contain smells though. Over here you see Depends brand in the grocery stores everywhere The aging of the baby boomers don't ya know!
0 x
All our roads are waiting to be revealed...
I'm still here with the eyes of a child, the wonder never grows old

DaveyTee
Your favourite Runrig song: Loch Lomond, This Darkest Winter, Skye.
Favourite Album: Once in a Lifetime
Favourite Gig: Wolverhampton '93

Postby DaveyTee » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:59 am

Without wishing to be personal, did you, er, use the Travel Johns? And how was the camping experience in general? I used to camp quite a lot, but haven't done so for decades. I rather miss it (except for the toilet arrangements :sick: ).

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

mort's cap

Postby mort's cap » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:28 pm

Yeah, I used the TJs and they were great. I'd recommend them. My tent was near the toilet block but it saved all the faff of getting your boots on etc during the night. I actually rented a tenthouse which was already set up and came with some extra facilities such as lighting, power and a mattress. I would definitely do this again if (when!) I go back to Tonder - well worth the extra money.

The flameless cook pot was a success too. Another device using a chemical reaction, this time to produce heat to either heat up or actually cook your food (in about 10-15 minutes), depending on the 'strength' of the sachet you use. The first meal I cooked was so hot it burnt my tongue so, yes, that definitely worked too! Okay, you couldn't do a gourmet meal on it but it was good for preparing simple packet meals. I'd have still used a gas stove if I'd been in the UK but you can't take gas onto planes of course. There was plenty of choice of food on site but this was a good way of saving a bit of money.

Generally the camping experience was much better than last time. I was more organised and it helped that the weather was mild and relatively dry.
0 x

Return to “Off Topic”