NY2SY

Fun & Games, Birthdays, Film, Books, Sport, Hobbies whatever floats your boat talk about it in here.
mort's cap

NY2SY

Postby mort's cap » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:46 am

Not long now till Niall Iain sets off. Please show your support for him in the amazing feat he's attempting.

http://www.ny2sy.co.uk/welcome/

http://youtu.be/sshvDhKJhfo
0 x
There's a sky of newest blue

rig

Re: NY2SY

Postby rig » Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:00 pm

Can't believe he is finally heading off.
What an amazing lad, and after all he's been through with the delays - it's a huge feat to get your spirits up again and concentrate and train, and then really do it.

Please share the links and publicise it everywhere you can!

:rose: :rose: :rose:

http://youtu.be/Y85idn_hjAM

:music:
0 x

The colour frontier
The ageing light
The sight that knows no fear

mort's cap

Postby mort's cap » Sun May 18, 2014 9:21 pm

Having just seen the news, you can't help but wonder whether Niall Iain is doing the right thing.
0 x

urbanite
Your favourite Runrig song: Proterra
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Usher Hall 2009 (my first 'live' experience)

Postby urbanite » Mon May 19, 2014 9:36 pm

I know what you mean Mort but if we think too much we'd never cross a road, get on a plane etc
0 x

mort's cap

Postby mort's cap » Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:06 pm

He's off! Bon voyage Niall Iain :thumbsup:

http://www.ny2sy.co.uk/diary/
0 x

rig

Postby rig » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:10 pm

He is indeed off, on schedule. A friend of mine was there to see him off.

You can track his progress here: http://www.ny2sy.co.uk/track-my-progress/

Please support this amazing lad on his gruelling and dangerous endeavour.

BUy a t-shirt (they are very nice, especially the navy blue men's ones), donate, and spread the word! :rose:
0 x

The colour frontier
The ageing light

gillyp
Your favourite Runrig song: Every River, Proterra, today!
Favourite Album: 50 songs
Favourite Gig: Inverness

Postby gillyp » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:40 pm

Sad to see the news about Niall, but glad he is going to be OK. Hope he recovers soon.
0 x

rig

Postby rig » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:49 pm

If anyone has missed the news, he sustained back and head injury in bad sea conditions about 100 miles out of New York, and had to summon help. NOw on land in New York after hospital stay, and recovering.

Desperately sorry for him as he is undoubtedly bitterly disappointed. His boat had to be abandoned in bad sea conditions, so a fresh attempt is not looking likely. He was also already late with the weather window due to unfavourable winds.

I still think he is immensely brave and we should support the cause he was campaingning for.

Unfortunately the JustGiving page linked to on his NY2SY website is no longer valid, so please send cheques to SAMH instead, making sure they know Niall Iain was the reason for the donation.

Address:
SAMH
FREEPOST SCO6266
GLASGOW
G5 9BR

Personally I am splitting my donation between SAMH and the NY2SY project, as there will undoubtedly now be costs involved in medical treatent, flight back, maybe searching for the boat....

Address:

Niall Iain Macdonald / NY2SY
72 Westview Terrace
STORNOWAY
Isle of Lewis
HS1 2LD

(Both addresses courtesy of his website: http://www.ny2sy.co.uk/donate/

Mere sympathy is not enough at this stage. If you can donate, please do so. That is the best 'get well soon' card he could get.

His godfather Donald John Macdonald (STV news person) is posting updates about Niall Iain on Facebook, which are presumably the most reliable source. These are public posts so non FB-ers can also read them.
https://www.facebook.com/donald.macdonald.14473

:rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose:
0 x

The colour frontier
The ageing light

mort's cap

Postby mort's cap » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:58 am

Thanks for posting this Rig.

It is such a painfully disappointing outcome for Niall. He must be feeling the weight of that at the moment, and for some time to come no doubt. But it was an enormous challenge he'd set himself and I admire the courage and dedication he has shown to even embark on it in the first place. The profile of SAMH has had a boost through his efforts and, even it does not profit to the extent it would have done had he succeeded, hopefully their funds will have benefited.

Bounce back soon Niall Iain :)
0 x

rig

Postby rig » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:10 pm

In case anyone hasn't seen this post by Niall Iain himself :

https://www.facebook.com/NY2SY?fref=ts

My apologies for taking so long to write and update everyone on the situation but I hope that you will understand that it's been an intense and dramatic time. I am only now processing the events of the last 24 hours and the coming to terms with the fact that my NY2SY Solo North Atlantic Row has come to such a premature end.

As you will probably now know, I had an accident on my boat on Friday afternoon and sustained an injury that resulted in me having to the call the Coastguard in the UK to make them aware of my situation.. They in turn notified their US counterparts and a rescue mission was initiated that involved me being picked up from my boat by the US Coastguard Cutter "Sailfish".

I have already seen some reports of the incident online that are inaccurate and feel that it only right that I give my own account of what happened.

At about 4.00pm on Friday afternoon, 9 days into my row, I had just finished stowing my oars and was getting ready to get into the cabin to get some sleep when I was hit by a wave on the starboard beam that caused my to lose my balance and fall. This wave just caught me unawares and the boat seemed to just drop down straight off the back of it, instead of sliding down, and this sudden jolt threw me into one of the oar storage stanchions, where I hit my head, and then I fell backwards into the footwell of the boat. It all happened very quickly and I knew instantly from the pain in my lower back that I was in trouble. The pain was such that it took me about 15 mins to actually get myself out of the footwell and sitting up on the side of the boat. I was in terrible pain and even the smallest movement was causing me to call out. It was clear that I wasn't going to be able to continue rowing and that I may well have suffered a serious spinal injury. Given the circumstances, I felt that the only option was to call the Coastguard and ask for help.

Initially they were going to despatch a helicopter to lift me off the boat but that was ruled out due to the bad weather in the area. The decision was then made to send the Coastguard Cutter from New York to take me off the boat. It was around 11.00pm before they reached my position and I had been out on the deck for all that time due to the fact that I could hardly move and just couldn't get myself back into my cabin. I was then taken aboard the Cutter, where they made me as comfortable as possible, and taken back to New York. Once I reached the hospital at 6.00am the next morning I had a series of tests and scans and it was found, thankfully, that my spine was not damaged but that I had suffered from an acute muscle spasm in my lower back. I was then given treatment for this and allowed to leave the hospital later that morning. Also, the head injury was not as bad as first thought, just a lot of blood from a small wound. So this morning I found myself back in New York, with nothing but the clothes I was wearing when I was taken off the boat and a few personal possessions. Unfortunately, the Coastguard were unable to retrieve my boat and she remains out there adrift on the Atlantic Ocean.

I am now staying with some very kind friends whom I met in New York before I began my row and trying to figure out a way of retrieving my boat. All my belongings are still on board and I have invested all my money in the boat, if I lose her then I have lost everything. I have already contacted several boat charter companies, as well as other contacts that I have here in the marine business, to see what can be done before she drifts too far from the land to be able to retrieve.

I am still in some considerable pain with my back and it will take time to recover. It was over 12 hours before I received treatment for my spasm and the muscles finally started to relax so that has clearly done some damage, but hopefully only in the short term.

I have given serious thought to continuing my row, if I could get back out to the boat, but I have decided that this just isn't viable or wise so I will have to abandon my attempt to row across the North Atlantic Ocean this year. There would always be the risk of having more problems with my back if I was to return to the row and it wouldn't be right to expect the US Coastguard to have to come to my aid a second time should I have another problem. I clearly need time to recover and it would be foolish to carry on when I wouldn't not be 100% fit. I also have to consider other ocean rowers who may want to undertake this route in the future and my actions could have implications for their attempts or even ocean rowing in general.

I will now speak with my various sponsors, and others who have invested in NY2SY, before making any more plans about the future with regard to the project.

I would like to pay tribute to the US Coastguard and especially the crew of the Coastguard Cutter 'Sailfish' for their professionalism and also the kindness they showed me during my rescue. I need to give a special metion to Emergency Medical Technician Shayne Gorman who stayed with me througtout the entire journey back to New York and made sure that I was OK. Also thanks to the staff at the Bayonne Medical Center who looked after me so well this morning.

I am so sorry that I was unable to complete my row. I can't really describe what it is like to have worked so hard to get to the start of NY2SY and then for it to end like this, I'm heartbroken. So many people have helped and supported me over the past 4 years, which is why I was finally able to get to the start here in New York, and I can only apologise for failing to complete what I had hoped to do. Even after I eventually left New York and made my way out into the ocean I never took anything for granted or considered the job done. It was always going to be a hard challenge but I was ready for it and prepared to take it on. I never envisaged it ending in this way.

I'm not sure what else I can write or say.

Thank you for all the messages and comments, they mean a lot.

Again, I am just so sorry.

NI
0 x

The colour frontier
The ageing light

gillyp
Your favourite Runrig song: Every River, Proterra, today!
Favourite Album: 50 songs
Favourite Gig: Inverness

Postby gillyp » Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:34 pm

Thanks for this Rig, I had already sent in a donation, hope everyone can continue to do so.
0 x

urbanite

Postby urbanite » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:45 pm

Has there been any news about how Naill Iain is recovering?
0 x

puffin
Engine Room

Postby puffin » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:59 pm

Niall Iain seems to be recovering pretty well, physically at least. A few weeks ago he completed the 'Skye's The Limit' Skye Duathlon coming in 30th out of 82. :rose:

He has been posting a bit on his NY2SY Facebook page recently: on 3rd October he wrote "Apologies for going AWOL...sorting my head and healing my back. Will write more soon. NI"

A few days later he posted a photo of himself becoming reacquainted with his old friend, the rowing machine.

Then last week he posted this:
"I had a couple of mishaps before I departed but they were down to carelessness (cutting my finger with a knife whilst making a lanyard) and also forgetfulness (leaving my iPod out on deck overnight) due to the offer of a free meal. It meant that I departed New York with 4 stitches in my right index finger and hardly any music, just the handful of songs that I had on my iPhone. The only 2 full albums that I had to listen to during my time on the ocean were Paolo Nutini's 'Caustic Love' and Frightened Rabbit's 'Pedestrian Verse' and whenever I now hear a song from either album it takes me right back. A few folks who I had made friends with during my time in New York very kindly came down to see me off, as well as some folks that I had never met before but who had heard about NY2SY. I was very nervous when the time came to leave the marina and finally begin my row so I very much appreciated the support and good wishes. Conditions were perfect when I made my way out into the Hudson River and I was soon sweating heavily under my salopettes. By this time I was feeling terrible, full of self-doubt and second thoughts, and I had to keep talking to myself out loud to keep going. I thought that the departure would be an exhilarating experience, it was anything but. I caught the tide just right and was making about 3 knots down the river as I kept a careful eye on the various shipping that was around me...sailing boats, pleasure craft, cruise ships, tugs and barges and the Staten Island Ferry. I managed to avoid them all and found myself directly under the Verrazano Bridge around 5.30pm, which I was very pleased with as I knew that I had to make a good start to make sure that I didn't get pushed back towards New York when the tide turned. The bridge really marked the start of NY2SY to me and I started to relax slightly as I rowed under it and all the people in their cars that were crossing completely oblivious to me and 'Alliance Trust' below. I carried on rowing in the ideal conditions past Coney Island and then Breezy Point (which I referred to as Rockaway Point) and out into the ocean. It was a beautiful sunset that evening and I enjoyed my first meal at sea, slumped on the deck of the boat as I had a well earned rest. I was rowing almost constantly so was very tired by the time it got dark and that resulted in my problems with the drogue. The boat has a tendency to turn beam-on to the waves when she drifts so I would deploy a drogue off the stern to keep her trim in the water and lessen the rolling motion. I somehow managed to get the drogue tangled in the rudder, which took some time to sort out, and then when I began rowing again in the early hours I forgot to retrieve the drogue. It took me about 15 mins to figure out why the boat was so hard to move and why I had lost all my speed. My first 24 hours on the ocean were very tiring and nervous and scary and new but I soon settled into my routine and calmly dealt with problems as they arose, and you have a few to sort out each day.

It was an intimidating environment to be in but it was also an incredible feeling too, what a privilege to have experienced even that short time out on the ocean.
"

I don't think he realises just how much he did achieve even though he was unable to complete his Atlantic crossing as planned: at least he is alive and relatively unharmed when his situation could have easily been so much worse. I wonder if he knows how many hearts-in-mouths there were over those days back in June when we didn't know how bad his injuries were? Was he aware that some people had e-mailed the Hospital he was [briefly] in to pass on good wishes? He has raised the profile of the SAMH charity and awareness of the problems of mental health in places far beyond Scotland, and has shown himself to be a man of amazing physical strength and emotional determination while trying to "give back" something to those who were there when he needed their help. I have so much admiration for Niall Iain and would love to meet him one day: at least I have been able to give him a hug "by proxy" through a friend who met him in New York before he set off, and treasure the photo she sent (at his request!) of her passing on the "manly handshake" from Mr Puffin. :)

Niall Iain - you may not have rowed from NY2SY but you are a hero in my eyes - after all, which one of us would have set out on a voyage like that, alone? :rose: :rose: :rose:
0 x
And I dream of a day when our superficial gaze
is replaced with something more real
And the lines on the face are a thing to celebrate
for the tales that they tell

[FolkLaw c.Nick Gibbs 'The Tales That They Tell']

urbanite

Postby urbanite » Thu Nov 06, 2014 9:46 pm

Thanks for that Puffin. I'd looked on the website (don't think of Facebook)
0 x

rig

Postby rig » Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:34 pm

His NY2SY Facebook page is public, so can be seen by those not on FB.

Like Puffin, I registered immense relief when he began posting again after a long hiatus.

He is still a kind of hero to me too. He really has raised awareness (and money) for mental health sufferers all over the world, maybe especially in 'pockets' where friends of Runrig and Niall Iain fans are, but nevertheless. An inspiring and self-deprecating man. Puts vapid, rich 'celebs' to shame.

I hope and pray he can get his broadcasting career back on track as he must be feeling the financial pinch. He put all his savings into that boat, and lost out on a lot of media jobs as he expected to be gone so long.

And not wanting to make Puffin jealous, but I have met him too, and he is a really nice, open, down-to-earth guy to talk to, and exceptionally cute. :kiss:

:rose:

https://www.facebook.com/NY2SY
0 x

The colour frontier
The ageing light

Return to “Off Topic”