Introduce yourself

Fun & Games, Birthdays, Film, Books, Sport, Hobbies whatever floats your boat talk about it in here.
usrunrigfan

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby usrunrigfan » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:14 pm

Bine wrote:I hope you will have the chance to see RUNRIG live on stage in their Heartland. Many of their non-Scottish fans travel a lot to see them and I can tell you - it's worth while.
:

You're right, Bine. It was worth every second of sleeping on the airport floor when the snow shut down the UK airports in December! I'd do it again in a second. I'm already saving my pennies for 2012.

Welcome, AlamoSpursfan. I'm in Ohio. (Lived in Texas before though)
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

AlamoSpursFan
Your favourite Runrig song: Proterra
Favourite Album: Day of Days

Postby AlamoSpursFan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:23 pm

Thanks for the welcome!

Where in Texas, usrunrigfan? I've been to Ohio a few times. Beautiful countryside y'all have up there. Nice folks, too!
0 x

usrunrigfan

Postby usrunrigfan » Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:37 pm

Houston and Denton. Too darn hot, although Denton was more bearable.
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

Zephyr
Your favourite Runrig song: This Darkest Winter
Favourite Album: The Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Barrowlands2010

Postby Zephyr » Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:39 am

Slackitude wrote:Hi, my name's Bill, my wife Janette and I only just recently got into Runrig. I was watching a YouTube video and it had fascinating background music that was credited to a band called "Runrig" That started me on my search and soon I showed what I had found to my wife. We agreed we wanted more of their music and started off with "Fifty Great Songs".and "The Stamping Ground" and the collection has grown from there.

About me, I'm a Yank, living in Indiana though originally from Los Angeles (Long story but I wouldn't go back for all the world, after all this is where my wife is) My ancestry is primarily German, Norwegian, and Scots, although had you asked my mother I was a Scot and that was an end to it. My wife and I are both disabled, in our early fifties, and we stay busy writing though neither of us have managed to sell any stories yet. It's a tough market to crack. Other hobbies include computers, I enjoy building them for people and usually don't charge more than the parts (Janette, my wife, says I have no head for business). My illness makes itt difficult for me to get around so much of my social life is on line, I'll likely haunt these boards a good deal. Oh, I also collect swords. Mostly Medieval European swords, but I have a fondness for Chinese blades as well. My collection is small but growing, I plan to add to it soon a German war sword with "Ever Faithful" in Scots Gaelic engraved on the blade to tie together my two different ancestries. (Of course first I have to figure out how to say "Ever Faithful" in Gaelic.)

Other music I like, well there's a can of worms. Anything from fifties doo-wop to Devo to Oysterband to Enya. I'm all over the map, musically. The only thing I just can't get into is rap, especially gangster rap. Just not to my taste.

Well, that's me, hope I wasn't too wordy.

Hi there, slackitude, I'm in Los Angeles, but grew up in Ohio a hundred years ago. I love LA. All music can be beautiful to ones ears, don't you think? Except perhaps Rap, because it is not really music, but monotone chanting of a sort. Not my favorite. Ever faithful - uair sam bith dileas....try asking Rig, who teaches Gaelic. There is a Gaelic Learners Corner thread here somewhere. they might be able to help you also.
Slàinte
0 x
Seinn, seinn, seinn, Òran ur, òran an uir

Marcus777
Your favourite Runrig song: Everlasting Drum
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Barrow Lands

Virgin ;-)

Postby Marcus777 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:38 pm

Brand new to the Forum, I Live on the 'Isle of Mull' and we just got Electric, hense the Broadband, Fan of RR for many years, Looking forward to the Only Scottish gig this year

See you there :-))
0 x

gaelwildflower
Your favourite Runrig song: Amazing Things
Favourite Album: Mara, The Big Wheel

Re: Virgin ;-)

Postby gaelwildflower » Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:17 pm

Welcome to the forums. I have just one question for you: what's up with the subject line?
0 x
"Here's to you, as good as you are, and here's to me, as bad as I am; but as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, as bad as I am."

Martina

Postby Martina » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:46 am

I finally made it back here.... forgot my password etc...lol..I am getting really old.

Gaelwildflower, as I am a weather fan, I absolutely love your signature!!
0 x
But I have seen an awesome beauty
I've seen the tears run turn to wine on your face
And I wondered and I trembled
As you held me so close in your arms
With a love that held more learning
Than I could ever understand

(Calum MacDonald)

gaelwildflower

Postby gaelwildflower » Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:44 pm

Martina wrote:I finally made it back here.... forgot my password etc...lol..I am getting really old.

Gaelwildflower, as I am a weather fan, I absolutely love your signature!!

Thank you, Martina. :) I am fascinated by it.
0 x
"Here's to you, as good as you are, and here's to me, as bad as I am; but as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, as bad as I am."

jelenak
Your favourite Runrig song: Pride of The Summer
Favourite Album: Cutter And The Clan

Postby jelenak » Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:04 pm

Hello!
I'm Elena, 31, from Russia )
I discovered Runrig some months ago -- tried to find some Irish and Scottish ballads in the Internet and suddenly found this band )
And now I'm trying to improve my poor English -- and then I'm going to come and see the concert in the UK. In fact, for me -- Runrig is an additional motive to learn this language.

Thank you!
0 x

puffin
Engine Room

Postby puffin » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:16 pm

Welcome Elena! :rose:

If your post is an example of "poor English" then all I can say is that it's a whole lot better than that of many native English speakers! :D

Also look out for The Band from Rockall (topic about them in the "Other Music" section), Calum and Rory of Runrig's new "solo" project, to be released at the end of this month. :)
0 x
And I dream of a day when our superficial gaze
is replaced with something more real
And the lines on the face are a thing to celebrate
for the tales that they tell

[FolkLaw c.Nick Gibbs 'The Tales That They Tell']

jelenak
Your favourite Runrig song: Pride of The Summer
Favourite Album: Cutter And The Clan

Postby jelenak » Fri Apr 20, 2012 3:26 pm

Thanks )
Oh, I know -- ordered the CD some days ago ;)
0 x

gaelwildflower

Postby gaelwildflower » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:07 pm

Elena, your English is far superior to that of most English speakers. Runrig is my motive to learn the Scottish Gaelic language. :) Good luck improving your English and have fun at the concert! By the way, you have a lovely name. That is one of my favorite names, right up there with Elizabeth and Seonag.
0 x

rig

Postby rig » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:05 pm

Fàilte a h-uile duine! :rose: :rose: :rose:

Welcome everyone!

Sorry I haven't been on this thread for a while, been busy - not ignoring anyone.
Really like seeing new fans joining - great to see the Runrig family extending across the world, and hearing people's stories.

As Rory sings on the new Band from Rockall album, There's a chain.... :music:

Faithful for ever: ..... Dìleas gu brath /JEE-lus goo brach/

(It's also the regimental motto of the Canadian 48th HIghlanders)

'uair sam bith' is not really formal enough for a motto - it's more 'at any time' - but it's a very good and useful phrase.

- Would you go back to the mud of Drumnadrochit and watch Runrig in the rain again? Uair sam bith!! :rose:
0 x

The colour frontier
The ageing light
The sight that knows no fear

gillyp
Your favourite Runrig song: Every River, Proterra, today!
Favourite Album: 50 songs
Favourite Gig: Inverness

Postby gillyp » Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:25 pm

Hi, I'm Gilly. 61 and proud of it! Living in Cornwall in a hamlet with 8 houses and a farm! Married to Geoff who also loves Runrig. We got into them on our first visit to Skye about 20 years ago. Have loved them ever since. Have four married children and ten grandchildren all in South East so we spend lots of time on motorways where RR come in very handy. Loved all the live gigs we have been to and have all the DVD's too. Retired at Christmas and was looking forward to free time etc, but Geoff had to have second major back op in six months and my elderly mum has come to live so not much relaxation for me. Can't wait for Inverness.
would love to post a photo but don't know how!
0 x

Pyrope
Your favourite Runrig song: Every River

Postby Pyrope » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:43 pm

Hello :)

I'm Lauren (or Pyrope), 22, living in Guernsey, Channel Islands. I was introduced to Runrig by my parents who took me to my first Runrig (and first ever live gig) gig when I was 7. Being a kid, I got onto the chair so that I could see them and was instantly captured by them. I've seen them countless of times and have received countless of hand me down tshirts from my parents. Unfortunately, since moving to the Channel Islands, it's been incredibly hard for me to get back to see them - including this year :( I won't be missing their big anniversary next year though!

As for other things I like...I love Pokemon, photography, cats, tea, lego, David Bowie and horror. A strange mix. But I love Runrig more than anything else.

My dream has come true though, I've been lucky enough to meet them and I've declared my love to Rory (and had to apologise to Calum for choosing his brother) ;) And I share Iain's birthday! My only other dream is to see them perform at Loch Lomond.

I'm joining here because I've only ever seen ONE person in tiny Guernsey wearing a Runrig tshirt. That's ONE person out of 60,000 so it's nice to meet you all in advance!
0 x

WaterWolf
Your favourite Runrig song: Right now: In Scandinavia
Favourite Gig: Scone 09!

Postby WaterWolf » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:29 pm

A very big welcome on board to both Gilly and Lauren! :rose:
0 x
Good happiness is shared

LizzieW
Your favourite Runrig song: Precious Years
Favourite Album: The Cutter and the C
Favourite Gig: Inverness 1991

Postby LizzieW » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:32 am

Hi
I'm Liz, a mature Runrig fan - been following them since 1989. I lived in Scotland for 17 years but now live back home in Yorkshire.

I also wanted to ask if you are allowed to sell Runrig memorobilia on here. I'm moving house - to a much smaller house - and need to get rid of loads of stuff. I have Runrig things I sadly can't keep and wondered if there was a For Sale bit on here.

Thanks and best wishes to everyone...Liz :music:
0 x

rig

Postby rig » Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:24 pm

Hi Liz, and welcome! :rose:

Sorry , the 'introductions' sections tends to get missed.

I recall other folk offering memorabilia on here, fan-to-fan (NOT ebay links!), so I would say tell us approx what you have and let people PM you about it.

But in a separate thread in 'off topic', perhaps?

(Mods, correct me if I'm wrong!)
0 x

The colour frontier
The ageing light
The sight that knows no fear

Lochiel1745
Your favourite Runrig song: Hearts of Olden Glory
Favourite Album: Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003

Postby Lochiel1745 » Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:14 am

Hi - I am an old Runrig Fan who has just found this forum. I live in Fife, love everything about the guys music, am a Jacobite and hope to make some friends here and share the music of a great band.
0 x

MartinaB
Your favourite Runrig song: Thairis air a ghleann
Favourite Album: Mara
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003

Postby MartinaB » Sat Oct 26, 2013 5:57 pm

Phewww, I finally made it back here....

Great to be back again.. :love:

Hugs to everybody :-)
0 x

Return to “Off Topic”