Introduce yourself

Fun & Games, Birthdays, Film, Books, Sport, Hobbies whatever floats your boat talk about it in here.
Auldbar
Your favourite Runrig song: An Sabhal Aig Neill
Favourite Album: The Cutter

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby Auldbar » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:47 pm

G'day
Great to be here and find out a bit more about our favourite band.
It's just nice to know I'm not the only one who loves Runrig Downunder :love: :D
0 x
But I can't understand why we let someone else rule our land, cap in hand.

ninja_jim
Your favourite Runrig song: An Toll Dubh
Favourite Album: Year of the flood
Favourite Gig: Live at Scone Palace - Year of Homecoming 2009

Postby ninja_jim » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:02 am

been a fan for a few years, but remember my parents playing their music when I was a wee boy - I'm what you'd politely call a naturalised Scot, but since neither of my parents are from around here and they've both got an adventurous spirit, I spent the better part of my formative years travelling around and visiting within Scotland (isn't it amazing how incredible the world is just outside your doorstep?!)..... I then went off and joined the Navy (and saw some of the rest of the world), and now it's come full circle - I moved back to the village, live with a lassie I grew up with, and we have a wee son who's the first in 5 generations to be born in Scotland.... unfortunately, I work on the south coast, but every time I drive north and pass that sign at Gretna I know I'm only a wee while from being home and happy.....

I listen to Runrig because when I'm away from home the atmosphere the music generates takes me right back there - in my mind's eye I walk through the village, seeing the majesty and beauty of the views around me, and I see my family there waiting for me...... in some ways, the music makes me sad (because I miss being there), but it's a happy sadness (if that makes any sort of sense!) since I know I'll be back there at some point....

I've only ever seen them live once - it took me a while to actually do it! - at Scone in 2009 (on that note - will they ever get around to releasing an album of that concert - it was truly awesome!!), and my other half, whose experience of concerts and festivals makes you wonder if she did anything else with her time, had to grudgingly admit that it was the best, most enjoyable and chilled out gig she'd ever been to! (she even admitted that since it was so good, she hadn't actually missed not going to the Cowal Games which were on the same day!)...... I think she hates to admit it (she's a trance/electronica fan at heart), but I think there's another Runrig convert in the house, and there might be another just as soon as Isaac gets big enough to wear headphones!

Anyway, that's quite enough from me.... just to say thanks, Runrig, for creating music that sounds like Home....
0 x

Crunchie
Forum Admin

Postby Crunchie » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:06 pm

Nice to see some more new members. Welcome to the forum one and all! :D
0 x

black back
Your favourite Runrig song: Darkest Winter
Favourite Album: The Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Barrowlands

Postby black back » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:33 am

I've been on the lookout for a Runrig forum for ages and it had never occured to me to look on the official site. Oh well at least I made it eventually and I am wondering when the band are next playing the Barras if anyone can tell me?
0 x

usrunrigfan

Postby usrunrigfan » Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:16 pm

Hi Black Back. Welcome to the forum. Most likely Dec of 2012 as the band is taking 2011 off from touring to do solo projects, write and (hopefully some well deserved rest for them with some new recording for us after.)
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

Slackitude
Your favourite Runrig song: May Morning
Favourite Album: The Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: n/a

Postby Slackitude » Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:44 pm

Hi, my name's Bill, my wife Janette and I only just recently got into Runrig. I was watching a YouTube video and it had fascinating background music that was credited to a band called "Runrig" That started me on my search and soon I showed what I had found to my wife. We agreed we wanted more of their music and started off with "Fifty Great Songs".and "The Stamping Ground" and the collection has grown from there.

About me, I'm a Yank, living in Indiana though originally from Los Angeles (Long story but I wouldn't go back for all the world, after all this is where my wife is) My ancestry is primarily German, Norwegian, and Scots, although had you asked my mother I was a Scot and that was an end to it. My wife and I are both disabled, in our early fifties, and we stay busy writing though neither of us have managed to sell any stories yet. It's a tough market to crack. Other hobbies include computers, I enjoy building them for people and usually don't charge more than the parts (Janette, my wife, says I have no head for business). My illness makes itt difficult for me to get around so much of my social life is on line, I'll likely haunt these boards a good deal. Oh, I also collect swords. Mostly Medieval European swords, but I have a fondness for Chinese blades as well. My collection is small but growing, I plan to add to it soon a German war sword with "Ever Faithful" in Scots Gaelic engraved on the blade to tie together my two different ancestries. (Of course first I have to figure out how to say "Ever Faithful" in Gaelic.)

Other music I like, well there's a can of worms. Anything from fifties doo-wop to Devo to Oysterband to Enya. I'm all over the map, musically. The only thing I just can't get into is rap, especially gangster rap. Just not to my taste.

Well, that's me, hope I wasn't too wordy.
0 x

puffin
Engine Room

Postby puffin » Sat Apr 30, 2011 8:50 pm

Slackitude wrote:(Of course first I have to figure out how to say "Ever Faithful" in Gaelic.)

Welcome to the forum, Bill and Janette. :rose:

Just ask on the "Gaelic Learners'" topic here and someone will supply the translation. :)
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=121
0 x
And I dream of a day when our superficial gaze
is replaced with something more real
And the lines on the face are a thing to celebrate
for the tales that they tell

[FolkLaw c.Nick Gibbs 'The Tales That They Tell']

usrunrigfan

Postby usrunrigfan » Sun May 01, 2011 2:00 am

Welcome to the forum, Bill and Janette. I'm your neighbor in Ohio. (Not from here, have lived all over.)

I have swords, too. :)
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

Slackitude
Your favourite Runrig song: May Morning
Favourite Album: The Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: n/a

Postby Slackitude » Mon May 02, 2011 12:11 am

Thanks for the advice, Puffin, I'll do that. Ah, usrunrigfan, a fellow sword addict-er, I mean, fan. Glad to meet you!
0 x

black back
Your favourite Runrig song: Darkest Winter
Favourite Gig: Barrowlands

Postby black back » Fri May 06, 2011 9:33 pm

usrunrigfan wrote:Hi Black Back. Welcome to the forum. Most likely Dec of 2012 as the band is taking 2011 off from touring to do solo projects, write and (hopefully some well deserved rest for them with some new recording for us after.)

That's a shame that we'll miss them this year then but absence makes the heart grow fonder as they say and we'll looking forward to seeing them again next year with any luck.
0 x

gaelwildflower
Your favourite Runrig song: Amazing Things
Favourite Album: Mara, The Big Wheel

Postby gaelwildflower » Mon Aug 08, 2011 3:38 pm

I'm Rebecca. I teach piano, write songs, sing, and draw. I've played piano since I was five. I am a direct descendant of Sir William Wallace. I love genealogy, canoeing, and guns.

I recently discovered Runrig. I've always had an obsession with Celtic music, so last year, I was listening to Highlander Radio out of Boston on the internet. "Loch Lomond" was playing, and I fell in love. I immediately went on YouTube to find more Runrig! I was hooked. I made myself a playlist of all my favorite songs: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL1B0AC792B0F5E78E I know it's long, but after a long day, this is what works. :) "Pride of the Summer" is my motivational song. :) "Hearts of Olden Glory" moves me to tears every time. My mom loves "News From Heaven".

Runrig has also helped me learn Scottish Gaelic. That and this amazing website called "Beag Air Bheag". Anyway, their Gaelic songs help me with the pronunciation. So far, I can say only a few Gaelic phrases fluently, but it's quite obvious I'm getting better at it since I freaking dream in Gaelic!

After discovering such a phenomenal band, I went to show my family. They didn't quite catch on at first, but after I told them about the band, and that the lyricist is a born-again Christian (and everything can go right when your lyricist is a born-again Christian), they decided to check it out. Now, my grandma is peppering her Facebook page with Runrig music.

I can honestly say that Runrig has been a blessing to me. And I decided to return the favor and pray for each band member. Including Donnie, because I miss him, and I still consider him Runrig. Anywho, GOD BLESS RUNRIG!
0 x
"Here's to you, as good as you are, and here's to me, as bad as I am; but as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, as bad as I am."

Woody10
Your favourite Runrig song: Loch Lommond
Favourite Album: Play Gellic
Favourite Gig: Singen, Germany

Postby Woody10 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 4:15 pm

Hallo, my name is Roland and I am from Austria. I´m a Runrig fan since 1986 when a scottish friend played a tape in my car travelling through germany. My wife and my oldest daughter are als great fans and we had the chance to join in diverent concerts (Singen, Vienna, Munich and Sterling Castle). I really like the gelic songs, Loch Lommond (we visit the Loch every time we stay in Scottland) and especially the song "Dust".

Greatings from Austria

Roland
0 x

usrunrigfan

Postby usrunrigfan » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:08 pm

Hi Rebecca and Roland,

Welcome to the forum.
Rebecca, where in Ohio are you? I'm in between Akron and Cleveland/
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

Bine
Your favourite Runrig song: Big Sky
Favourite Album: Mara
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness 2007

Postby Bine » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:04 pm

Welcome to all the new members. It's very nice that some new life comes into the forum :)
@Roland
Living in South Germany, I'm almost your neighbour. And like me, you and your family seem to be kind of a little bit of Scotland-addicts :D
0 x

gaelwildflower

Postby gaelwildflower » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:52 pm

usrunrigfan wrote:Hi Rebecca and Roland,

Welcome to the forum.
Rebecca, where in Ohio are you? I'm in between Akron and Cleveland/

I'm in Worthington. It's in the Columbus area.
0 x
"Here's to you, as good as you are, and here's to me, as bad as I am; but as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, as bad as I am."

usrunrigfan

Postby usrunrigfan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:09 am

That's not too far. There is a Highland Games in Ligonier, Pa the second weekend in September. It's a good oppurtunity to hear some good music. I'll be there on Sat. the 10th.

The Dublin, Ohio Irish Festival had some great bands this last weekend. I couldn't go, though.
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

gaelwildflower

Postby gaelwildflower » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:21 pm

usrunrigfan wrote:That's not too far. There is a Highland Games in Ligonier, Pa the second weekend in September. It's a good oppurtunity to hear some good music. I'll be there on Sat. the 10th.

The Dublin, Ohio Irish Festival had some great bands this last weekend. I couldn't go, though.

I went to Dublin for the City Folk festival a while back, to see Sierra Hull and Bua. Apparently, the singer for Bua is the only American ever to win the Sgiath Uí Dhálaigh shield in the Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann in Listowel, Co. Kerry.
0 x

AlamoSpursFan
Your favourite Runrig song: Proterra
Favourite Album: Day of Days

Postby AlamoSpursFan » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:56 pm

Hello, everyone! Or as we say here in Texas, "Howdy, y'all!"

I'm a relatively new Runrig fan, but I have quickly become an addict. I first discovered the band on Sirius Satellite Radio. The first song I heard was "Clash of the Ash" on the Celtic Crush show hosted by Larry Kirwan of Black 47. I was hooked, but I didn't think to look the band up until I heard the live version of "Loch Lomond". I went hog wild on iTunes, downloading everything they had. I even ordered the Day of Days DVD, not realizing that it wouldn't play here in the states. Luckily, I stuck it in the computer and it fired right up. I am now a card carrying member of the Runrig fan club, as well.

My family heritage is almost exclusively Irish, although there is some Scottish mixed in, which might lead to my almost fanatical love for this band. I was raised listening to classic country/western music, but I quickly discovered rock when I grew old enough to make my own choices. My favorite band of all time is the Canadian band Rush. I'm also a huge fan of a Texas band called Reckless Kelly.

My dream is to one day tour both Ireland and Scotland to see the lands of my ancestors. Hopefully I can mix in a Runrig show or several, as well, since the odds of a Runrig tour of Texas are probably pretty slim.

Thanks for reading, and thanks for the forum! I hope to be a regular poster from here going forward!

Oh, and the Spurs that I am a fan of are the NBA San Antonio Spurs, not the English football club. I have to admit I'm not a big follower of what we call soccer over here.
0 x

tesadmo
Favourite Gig: Aberdeen 2009

Postby tesadmo » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Welcome to the board! :)
0 x
"Sure as the sunrise"
That's what they say about the Albion

Bine
Your favourite Runrig song: Big Sky
Favourite Album: Mara
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness 2007

Postby Bine » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:33 pm

Hi AlamoSpursFan - and welcome to the board :)
It's always nice to hear of a new fan, because very many of those that join the board are old fans who only recently discovered the board or who finally decided to give it a try with a forum (as it was the case for myself).
I hope you will have the chance to see RUNRIG live on stage in their Heartland. Many of their non-Scottish fans travel a lot to see them and I can tell you - it's worth while.
The band promised that in 2012 they will be back on stage. And you really shouldn't miss the opportunity to experience them live. They're simply the best. :love:
0 x

Return to “Off Topic”