Introduce yourself

Fun & Games, Birthdays, Film, Books, Sport, Hobbies whatever floats your boat talk about it in here.
cathrupert
Posts: 421
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:43 pm
Your favourite Runrig song: In scandinavia
Favourite Album: Everything You See
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003
Location: Leeds

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby cathrupert » Sun Mar 21, 2010 10:30 am

Welcome Paul - great to see you here - You know me better as Cath Horner xx or perhaps Scruffybear!!! too many identies but all the same person !!!
0 x

User avatar
PaulEastham
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:27 pm
Your favourite Runrig song: cant answer that one ;)
Favourite Album: Amazing thngs
Favourite Gig: KOLN 93
Location: Southampton

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby PaulEastham » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:33 pm

lovely to meet you all :)
0 x
you cant polish a turd !!!

User avatar
Vanadane
Posts: 1766
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:06 pm
Favourite Album: Everything You See
Favourite Gig: Silkeborg 2010
Location: Denmark

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby Vanadane » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:41 pm

PaulEastham wrote:lovely to meet you all :)
Nice to meat you too! About your signature, you can actually polish a turd. I saw that Mythbusters episode...!
0 x
Together we stand ... divided we fall.

User avatar
PaulEastham
Posts: 10
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:27 pm
Your favourite Runrig song: cant answer that one ;)
Favourite Album: Amazing thngs
Favourite Gig: KOLN 93
Location: Southampton

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby PaulEastham » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:48 pm

hahaha vanadane ! nice to meet ya. i stand corrected lol
0 x
you cant polish a turd !!!

User avatar
Vanadane
Posts: 1766
Joined: Tue Nov 04, 2008 6:06 pm
Favourite Album: Everything You See
Favourite Gig: Silkeborg 2010
Location: Denmark

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby Vanadane » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:50 pm

PaulEastham wrote:hahaha vanadane ! nice to meet ya. i stand corrected lol
Are you standing and using the computer at the same time?! :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm half lying down right now, if anyone's interested in knowing...
0 x
Together we stand ... divided we fall.

User avatar
gael
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:45 pm
Your favourite Runrig song: Fifteen?(Beurla) all the Gaidhlig ones
Favourite Album: All of them I have
Favourite Gig: waaaa!
Location: Eastern Oregon, USA
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby gael » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:52 pm

Ciamar a tha sibh, a-huile duine. 'S toil leum Runrig!

Screen name: Gael
Real name: Gayle (my parents were right on target, except the spelling!)
Age: 55 and counting, married female
Avatar: a glacially-cut ridge in Glacier National Park, Montana (with icebergs floating in the turquoise lake) taken by me from a helicopter in July of '09
Occupation: Art teacher, artist, writer
Citizenship: USA
Residence: Oregon (the eastern desert part, and yes, there is one)
Home: Montana, the most beautiful place on the planet (and Scotland, vicariously)
Nationality: Scottish Border Reiver and a bit of Welsh, Scandanavian (Norse and Swede)

Favorite Band of all time: RUNRIG ...forever! I. Love. This. Band.

Some thoughts and opinions:
Calum and Rory Macdonald are the greatest songwriting team ever, including Lennon & McCartney. I'm serious, and they're still going. The poet and the music-man... bardachd agus ceol = geasan.
Malcolm Jones: Like David Gilmour with a soul, only better. AMAZING guitar, he's the sound of Runrig, and bouzuki, mandolin, pipes and accordion too!
Iain Bayne: His drums are the heartbeat of the world.
Brian Hurren: Absolute consummate magic on the keyboards & organs.
Bruce Guthro: Voice like smoky whisky (Talisker comes to mind) with overtones of warm honey...hmmm, a new drink, perhaps?
ALTOGETHER, A BAND LIKE NO OTHER! RUNRIG GU BRATH!

Donnie -v- Bruce: Both superlative voices, both different. I love them each for different reasons. Get over it, people--Donnie's gone and Runrig wouldn't be here if it weren't for Bruce.

Last thoughts & first ones: I first heard Runrig last April on You-tube. I now have ten or so CDs and listen to them constantly. I love the Gaelic stuff, and the English stuff. I love it all. My biggest regret is that I didn't know about them long ago. I could kick myself! It's my dearest wish in all the world to hear Runrig perform live. It is also the most unlikely of my dreams to ever happen, but in the event that it ever does...well, I can always hope that somehow I'll be in Scotland at the same time they're there performing, someday before I die. There is not a single song I don't like. :love:
0 x

User avatar
SDB
Engine Room
Posts: 790
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:58 am
Your favourite Runrig song: Sunndach
Favourite Album: Recovery
Favourite Gig: Barrowlands 1993
Location: Waiting on the return of Pan

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby SDB » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:09 pm

gael wrote:Ciamar a tha sibh, a-huile duine. 'S toil leum Runrig!

Screen name: Gael
Real name: Gayle (my parents were right on target, except the spelling!)
Age: 55 and counting, married female
Avatar: a glacially-cut ridge in Glacier National Park, Montana (with icebergs floating in the turquoise lake) taken by me from a helicopter in July of '09
Occupation: Art teacher, artist, writer
Citizenship: USA
Residence: Oregon (the eastern desert part, and yes, there is one)
Home: Montana, the most beautiful place on the planet (and Scotland, vicariously)
Nationality: Scottish Border Reiver and a bit of Welsh, Scandanavian (Norse and Swede)

Favorite Band of all time: RUNRIG ...forever! I. Love. This. Band.

Some thoughts and opinions:
Calum and Rory Macdonald are the greatest songwriting team ever, including Lennon & McCartney. I'm serious, and they're still going. The poet and the music-man... bardachd agus ceol = geasan.
Malcolm Jones: Like David Gilmour with a soul, only better. AMAZING guitar, he's the sound of Runrig, and bouzuki, mandolin, pipes and accordion too!
Iain Bayne: His drums are the heartbeat of the world.
Brian Hurren: Absolute consummate magic on the keyboards & organs.
Bruce Guthro: Voice like smoky whisky (Talisker comes to mind) with overtones of warm honey...hmmm, a new drink, perhaps?
ALTOGETHER, A BAND LIKE NO OTHER! RUNRIG GU BRATH!

Donnie -v- Bruce: Both superlative voices, both different. I love them each for different reasons. Get over it, people--Donnie's gone and Runrig wouldn't be here if it weren't for Bruce
Last thoughts & first ones: I first heard Runrig last April on You-tube. I now have ten or so CDs and listen to them constantly. I love the Gaelic stuff, and the English stuff. I love it all. My biggest regret is that I didn't know about them long ago. I could kick myself! It's my dearest wish in all the world to hear Runrig perform live. It is also the most unlikely of my dreams to ever happen, but in the event that it ever does...well, I can always hope that somehow I'll be in Scotland at the same time they're there performing, someday before I die. There is not a single song I don't like. :love:


Fine 4th post !! Welcome! :music:
0 x
See the young men late in the glen , all with camans in hand

User avatar
gael
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:45 pm
Your favourite Runrig song: Fifteen?(Beurla) all the Gaidhlig ones
Favourite Album: All of them I have
Favourite Gig: waaaa!
Location: Eastern Oregon, USA
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby gael » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:57 pm

Tapadh leibh! (Tha mi ag ionnsachadh Gaidhlig a-nis.)

I could have said more. But words are inadequate, really, to describe how I feel about this band, so enough said. Thanks again. Maybe I should write an article! :music:

Tioraidh agus le meas!

Gael
0 x

User avatar
usrunrigfan
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby usrunrigfan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:19 am

Welcome, Paul!

Gael, hooray another US Riggie!
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

User avatar
gael
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:45 pm
Your favourite Runrig song: Fifteen?(Beurla) all the Gaidhlig ones
Favourite Album: All of them I have
Favourite Gig: waaaa!
Location: Eastern Oregon, USA
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby gael » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:48 am

Alas, we can't afford to go to the live performance at the Barrowlands this winter because we're going to Scotland this summer... :cry: while the lads are out of the country. Wouldn't it be great if Runrig would come to the US, like Seattle or somewhere? There is a Gaelic community there (it's where I take Gaelic classes).
0 x

User avatar
Verd
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:28 pm
Your favourite Runrig song: Skye, Anytown, the only rose...
Favourite Album: Play Gealic
Favourite Gig: Oberhausen '05

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby Verd » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:10 am

usrunrigfan wrote:Welcome, Paul!

Gael, hooray another US Riggie!



i agree, we cant have enough of them :D

welcome Gael :rose:
0 x
Image

User avatar
Zephyr
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:14 am
Your favourite Runrig song: This Darkest Winter
Favourite Album: The Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Barrowlands2010
Location: Los Angeles, Calif. USA

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby Zephyr » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:05 am

Welcome Paul.... :D

and welcome Alex/ Verd, yea another US fan!

gael wrote:Alas, we can't afford to go to the live performance at the Barrowlands this winter because we're going to Scotland this summer... :cry: while the lads are out of the country. Wouldn't it be great if Runrig would come to the US, like Seattle or somewhere? There is a Gaelic community there (it's where I take Gaelic classes).


Hi Gael, Tha mi toilicht' coinneachadh ruibh! Well, that's about it for my Gaelic so far, aside from some vocabulary, a few basic greetings and all of the Runrig Gaelic songs I can sing. Congratulations on your taking classes. I have thought about it, but so far have just been learning through song...and here and there.
And welcome to the forum. It's good to meet yet another US fan. Our numbers are growing. Still don't think it's enough to bring them our way, however. Hope you can get over there someday to see them, because they are spectacular live. I have managed 6 so far. Great fun. And a lovely country, Scotland. Will catch two of the concerts this December in Scotland, then that's it for me until 2012, as they will not be touring in 2011. Save up and perhaps you can see them in 2012. It is well worth the trip! Slàinte.
Last edited by Zephyr on Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Seinn, seinn, seinn, Òran ur, òran an uir

User avatar
Zephyr
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:14 am
Your favourite Runrig song: This Darkest Winter
Favourite Album: The Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Barrowlands2010
Location: Los Angeles, Calif. USA

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby Zephyr » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:19 am

Izzy wrote:Hello there

My name is Izzy and im 36 years old originally from a tiny place called Scourie in Sutherland :

Im sorry to say that I'm one of these auld fogies who have not yet fully embraced the new era and its always the oldies that I reach for first but I'm getting there :D
Looking forward to getting to know all you


Izzy, welcome ... there is nothing wrong with loving the oldies. The oldies are the best in my book. I consider Runrig oldie/newie since they are still producing new stuff, but they go way back. Lots of the new stuff today, I find vapid and boring. Nothing like Moody Blues, Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel and such, fine instrumentation, beautiful words and melodies, pleasing voices. Long live the oldies!
And Scourie...I will be there this summer. How very exciting to meet someone from there.
0 x
Seinn, seinn, seinn, Òran ur, òran an uir

User avatar
usrunrigfan
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby usrunrigfan » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:40 am

Welcome to the forum Izzy!


I know a nice lady from Barra that lves near me in Ohio and teaches Gaelic via Skype. She charges a very small fee for each lesson. If anyone is interested, please email me privately and I will give you her email address.
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

User avatar
Verd
Posts: 139
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:28 pm
Your favourite Runrig song: Skye, Anytown, the only rose...
Favourite Album: Play Gealic
Favourite Gig: Oberhausen '05

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby Verd » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:12 pm

Zephyr wrote:Welcome Paul.... :D

and welcome Alex/ Verd, yea another US fan!



:kiss: :rose: :love:


Welcome Izzy and Paul and all the newcommers that havent posted yet.
0 x
Image

ClanRoss
Posts: 18
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 10:06 am
Your favourite Runrig song: Loch Lomand, Road trip, In Scandinavia
Favourite Album: Everything You See
Location: Marchwood Southampton
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby ClanRoss » Tue May 11, 2010 9:13 am

i'm rob i'm 20
i'm from marchwood southampton hampshire england uk
hobbies apart from runrig are, cooking, reading, facebook, going to the gym
my dad was fortunate enough to go to school with two of the original members of runrig (callum and rory) so he tells me
i'm a proud supporter of southampton Football club who are unfortunalty stuck in league 1

other music i like are Westlife, Cascada, madonna, lady gaga, bon jovi, amy macdonald and meat loaf

i'm hopefully going to study a degree in Hospitality Management

anything else i've missed out on or if you want me information please PM me and i will be happy to oblige
;) :)
0 x
Looking out on all thats been i close my eyes in isolation

User avatar
gael
Posts: 16
Joined: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:45 pm
Your favourite Runrig song: Fifteen?(Beurla) all the Gaidhlig ones
Favourite Album: All of them I have
Favourite Gig: waaaa!
Location: Eastern Oregon, USA
Contact:

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby gael » Tue May 11, 2010 2:57 pm

Hi all! I've been trying to formulate an adequate response to all of you, so here goes: usrunrigfan, I may take you up on that email someday to that nice lady from Barra. I'm not ready yet. My Gaelic isn't even rudimentary and I'd be embarrassed. But I will definitely keep it in mind. Learning a new language without using it every day is difficult. Maybe I just need to move to Skye...

RE: the band. It's just nice to know I'm not the only one who loves Runrig in this country--one could call it obsession (my husband does!). I've never heard anything like it, or felt anything like it. What other rock-band can do this? It must be the ceol na Gaidheal, that underlying "something" that I don't have an English word for. Many of their songs are like anthems and they deserve to be more well known than they are.

Anyway, I'm savin' up my pennies for when they start touring again so I can see them live. Meanwhile, I'll be adding to my collection of the best music in the world. These guys are incomparable, without equal, for whatever reason.

Tioraidh! gael
0 x

User avatar
rig
Posts: 1506
Joined: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:35 pm

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby rig » Fri May 14, 2010 8:57 pm

Hi Gael and others,

Great to have such fervent confirmation of the worldwide Riggie phenomenon! :rose:

If the (various!) governments ever let me retire before I drop, I dream of travelling the world and dropping in on all the Runrig fans I only know from this and the various other boards. Now that would be some trip! :D


For those interested in Gaelic, a couple of recommendations to be going on with:

1. Our own (very sporadic) Gaelic Corner thread here on Off Topic - I've just bumped it! ;)
Beginners welcome! :rose:


2. Fòram na Gàidhlig: run by a Riggie, it's a bilingual message-board which caters for all levels, from learners to fluet. Have a browse:

http://www.foramnagaidhlig.net/foram/

3. For those nowhere near classes, but wanting to learn systematically, there's a very thorough but fun programme of Skype classes run by the Atlantic Gaelic Academy, based in Nova Scotia but offering group classes at all sorts of times, world-wide. They do all levels, from beginners to advanced. I know quite a few of the students and some teachers (Gaelic is a small world...), so can certainly recommend them as reputable and good value for money. The next round of courses start in the autumn.

http://www.gaelicacademy.ca/


4. If you're on Facebook, there are a couple of quite good pages on there: Gàidhlig na h-Alba (for all levels), and Gaelic, especially good for real learners.

So - something for everyone! :rose:

Siuthadaibh! Off you go! :D
0 x
Image

The colour frontier
The ageing light
The sight that knows no fear


User avatar
usrunrigfan
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby usrunrigfan » Sat May 15, 2010 2:06 am

gael wrote: usrunrigfan, I may take you up on that email someday to that nice lady from Barra. I'm not ready yet. My Gaelic isn't even rudimentary and I'd be embarrassed.
Tioraidh! gael


Gael..........that's what teacher's are for!
When ever you change your mind, give me an email. :)

Does your husband like Runrig?
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

User avatar
usrunrigfan
Posts: 859
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:06 pm

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby usrunrigfan » Sat May 15, 2010 2:07 am

ClanRoss wrote:[color=#0000FF][i]i'm rob i'm 20
i'm from marchwood southampton hampshire england uk
;) :)



Hi Rob, welcome to the group!
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!


Return to “Off Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest