Introduce yourself

Fun & Games, Birthdays, Film, Books, Sport, Hobbies whatever floats your boat talk about it in here.
Crunchie
Forum Admin

Introduce yourself

Postby Crunchie » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:09 pm

Thought this might be a good idea to start a thread so we can hopefully get to know you all (and you us) a bit better. Please tell us a bit about yourself if you like, maybe how you got into Runrig and what your favourite albums etc are.

I go first *clears throat*

Hello everyone my name is Crunchie and I'm a curryoholic... oops sorry wrong forum!

Anyway I'm 22 years old from Falkirk in central Scotland. My other interests aside from Runrig are football (I support Falkirk FC as they are my local team and have a season ticket this year), a bit of photography, exotic pets (my room is a zoo - admission is £5), a bit of walking, swimming, cycling, programming and web site design and construction. :)

I heard the band through my parents who are also fans and have been listening to Runrigs music since I was 4. My favourite album is the Stamping Ground but I'm starting to like the most recent one "Everything you see" more and more. When I was 16 I made a little online shrine to Iain Bayne who is my favourite member of the band (based on a photo i was given in which Iain was the only one seen to be making an acceptable effort to smile).

Other bands I like include U2, Del Amitri, The Men They Couldn't Hang, Great Big Sea and Grant MacAskill.

So tell us a bit about you if you like! :)
0 x

Skye High Andy
Forum Admin
Favourite Album: Heartland

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby Skye High Andy » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:07 pm

I guess you can guess I'm Andy! I'm 42 and been a Runrig fan since 1983, when I was stuck on Skye (no one would give us a lift off the ferry) so some local bloke let us stay in his caravan. He was playing some music that he described as a "local band trying to make it big".

I'm a full time single parent with four little ones to keep me entertained, and I'm about to start the second year of an electronics degree at Essex Uni. Apart from that, mountains and music are my main thing. Seeing K2 up close and personal is probably the most humbling experience I've had to date!

Musn't forget Fiona (Fifs). I'll get something nasty done to me if I don't give her a mention!

Other music? Well, that varies but mainly Blackmore's Night, Pink Floyd/David Gilmour, Wolfstone and similar stuff...

That's about it for me!

K2 from Concordia, Pakistan
0 x

Gabriel's Sword
Forum Admin

Postby Gabriel's Sword » Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:09 pm

The Official version of previous poster. Ignore his posts, they're not important.
0 x

tommy-g
Favourite Gig: Barras '91

Postby tommy-g » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:55 am

I came across Runrig in October 1987, aged 12, when my dad was flicking TV channels and Runrig "Mod for Rockers" was on the other side. I was eventually forced to join the fan club to get my hands onto the recording!!!

I bought my first tape (remember them) the following summer on holiday in Lossiemouth - Once in a Lifetime and I went back an bought Cutter and the Clan a few days later. Both tapes were played to death before being replaced on CD!

Other things I like are most folk music and bands like U2 my newest love is Great Big Sea.

I love spending time outdoors, running, horse riding, and hill walking when I get a chance but badly in need of a walking partner.
0 x
tommy-g

Data1964
Chief joke-teller
Your favourite Runrig song: Chi Mi'n Geamhreadh, Every River
Favourite Album: The Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Bristol 05, BORLUM 07

Postby Data1964 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:27 am

I'm a newbie compared to the previous posters. Only got into the group about 3 years ago and so far have seen them twice - Bristol 05 and Borlum. Am 43, married with 2 kids and an Angel of a :love: Granddaughter :love: of 13 months. Spent 20+ years working for the Government, now happily working for myself (apart from the accounts). Also work voluntarily for a Medical Charity.
When our kids were young, my wife and her mate used to have a bottle of wine and a pizza on a Saturday night, listening to music and my Mrs used to rave about this Scottish Group, my thoughts were of the Accordian Playing Alexander brothers. Went on the web and bought Amazing Things off Amazon and was just blown away. Have most of their stuff now, just some AAA cd's to get.
I love music, almost anything from Abba to Zappa, with a particular penchant for Real Rock, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple/Rainbow/Blackmores Night ( :love: Candice :love: ), AC/DC, Chris de Burgh, Seven Nations, Bon Jovi, Guns & Roses, Foreigner, Meatloaf, Journey.......... Think I'll stop there, hopefully you get the Idea :D
Love photography, motorsports, eating. Chinese, Pizza, I'm not fussy. :lol: Also have a naughty sense of humour, which most of my friends will testify against me.
I believe that life is too short to waste, that we should live life to the full and let others get on with theirs. And that mines a pint!
0 x
Grant me absolute forgiveness for the fool I am!

A h-uile là sona dhuibh 's gun là idir dona dhuib.

Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein loma-làn easgannan

Searchlight
Your favourite Runrig song: News From Heaven
Favourite Album: The Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Loch Lomond 1991

Postby Searchlight » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:39 am

Apart from being the board's pain in the bahookie I'm 32, married for 8 years and I've been a Runrig fan since I was 15 so that's 17 years now :shock:

I have a boring job as an admin assistant for a large financial company and my overwhelming obsession is music and everything involved with that whether it be buying CDs or getting to as many gigs as possible. I love everything from traditional Scottish folk music all the way through to Norwegian black metal :twisted: As for Runrig, I'd have to sit and count how many times I've seen them but it must be at least 30 times by now and I've met the band on several occasions over the years :D
0 x
"I believe in the Metal Gods: Ville Valo, Bruce Dickinson and Rob Halford"

Essan
Your favourite Runrig song: Cum Ur N'aire
Favourite Album: Once in a Lifetime
Favourite Gig: Brum Symphony Hall 29/3/14

Postby Essan » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:51 am

I'm Andy, 41 and, like Crunchie, a curryholic

I discovered Runrig when I heard the single version of Loch Lomond played on Radio 1 ( :o ) way back in 1982, and later came across a copy of it in the bargain bin at Woolworths (:o :o)

Unfortunately I no longer have it :(

First album bought was Heartland (although I had previously borrowed Highland Connection from my local library)

I've only seen Runrig live 4 times - at Cambridge on the Searchlight, Big Wheel and Amazing Things tours, and at Bristol on the Mara tour. Next month in Gloucester I finally get to see them with Bruce and Brian!

My other favourite artists are Jim Hunter (whom I used to drink with in Lochailort, though not been in touch with him for a few years now), Jethro Tull, Bruce Springsteen, Rush and early Marillion.

I'm an amateur meteorologist and co-owner of Ukweatherworld. Also a keen photographer. I used to be a very active hillwalker but don't get the chance to get away as much as I used to. Back in the winter of 1989 I spend 3 months walking solo through the Highlands. Also spent the summer of 1999 living in the Highlands. Nowadays I live in Evesham, Worcestershire. I've worked for an international Insurance Broker, run several pubs and nowadays own my own small antique centre.

I'm also Newsletter Editor for the Mountain Bothies Association, and am responsible for the maintenance of a bothy near Lochailort called Essan - hence my name :D

Although born and bred lowland English, I consider myself a naturalised Highlander :D

My ambition is to work with animals and small children and bring peace to the wo ....... oh, sorry, wrong speech :D
0 x

porthos
Favourite Gig: Sheffield '07

Postby porthos » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:56 am

Well, I'm Judith. I'm 17 and I'm a poor impoverished student. I was born in Orkney and I'm very proud of it! I was unfortunate enough to move down to England just after I started school, so now I'm trying by all means possible to get back up North...!
I only became hooked on Runrig last year when I was helping my Granny buy my sister's birthday present and I suggested this book of music that she'd been watching on eBay every time it came up (Flower of the West). I'm very ashamed to say that I told my Granny "Well she'll like it but I won't." I had heard the Big Wheel a few years before and wasn't keen, but somehow as soon as I relistened and read the Songbook I was instantly addicted! My favourite member of the band is Calum, particularly after I wrote to him asking for help with my English coursework (I'm that obsessed - I actually did my coursework about Runrig!) and he wrote a really helpful letter back.
I like music a lot (mainly Runrig, Donnie Munro and The Corries) and I play piano, trumpet, flute and I sing too. I love writing and I end up writing 'pomes'/short stories/novels rather than doing my college work. I love the arts in general apart from dancing because I'm probably the least flexible person in the world.
0 x
Reality leaves a lot to the imagination.

Rungirl
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003

Postby Rungirl » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:32 am

My name is Elin, 53 years old :cry: , living in Denmark and a great Runrig fan. I´ve been married in 34 years, have 3 children and 5 grandchildren. We first discovered Runrig in 2001, and have since then collected 36 cd´s and 6 dvd´s, and our greatest moment was meeting the guys after a concert in 2003. We listen to Runrig every day, but also Bruce Guthro, Donnie Munro, Woolfstone and many other bands. I have a disease called MND, started in 2003, it`s slowly eating up the strenght of my body(can´t speak properly, can`t walk and my arms are loosing strenght to) but my brain is as good as before!! Joke haha. But still enjoy going to concerts sitting in my wheelchair, looking forward for the next Runrig concert(nov.2) here in Denmark. :music:
Lots of love to all you riggies out there from Elin Denmark
0 x

Runrig forever

runrigangel
Your favourite Runrig song: Every River + Life is and Clash ot Ash
Favourite Album: Everything you see
Favourite Gig: Borlum 2007(despite the cold and mud)

Postby runrigangel » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:03 am

Im runrigangel Aka Carrie im a 19 year old 1st year History Student at Cheltenham and Ive been going to gigs for ten years my first was Donnies last and they be amazing I waded through mud at Borlum and loved it
0 x

Skye High Andy
Forum Admin
Favourite Album: Heartland

Postby Skye High Andy » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:08 am

Data1964 wrote:Blackmores Night ( :love: Candice :love: )

I know what you mean... don't tell Fifs, she isn't meant to know about that! To mis-quote a famous quote..... I wonder what first attracted the young, beautiful Candice Night to the ageing, greying, over the hill mult-million pound guitarist Richie Blackmore?!!
0 x

GunChleoc

Postby GunChleoc » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:23 am

Ever since a friend dragged me to a certain concert during the German Christmas Tour 2005, I've not only been hooked on Runrig but also become quite the Gaelic junkie. And I spend far too much time on the inet. Not much else to tell :ugeek:
0 x
Oileanach chànan chuthachail
Tha mi a' coimhead air Haraidh Crèadhadair
Fòram na Gàidhlig

puffin
Engine Room

Postby puffin » Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:49 am

Hello all! I am a rather shy Puffin (female), living in my cosy burrow in Gloucester, England. Married to John for many years, age (don't you know it's rude to ask a lady that?! ;) ) - let's say mature in years but sometimes immature in behaviour :P ; born in Yorkshire, brought up in suburban London, no children (our choice). Wondering why the years fly past so quickly these days. :(

First aware of Runrig when I heard "Rythym of my Heart" played on Radio 2 whilst waiting in the car outside a Safeway supermarket, then caught a repeat of the "Mara" concert one evening on Radio 2, taped it (on cassette!) and played it over and over. Went out soon aferwards and bought the "Long Distance" album (+ bonus CD) as the best intro to a band seemed to be through a "best of" collection and the rest, as they say, is history! Subsequently bought the rest of the CDs; videos and later DVDs, found the website and message board, joined the fan club and am really looking forward to attending my first ever live RR gig next month in Gloucester and my second the following day in Bristol. :music: Have made some good friends through the MB, some of whom I have been privileged to meet :) , others, as yet, not.

Enjoy birding, photography :cam: , gardening :rose: , holidaying in Scotland, visiting Scottish islands. I spend far too much time on the internet which is sort of amusing as when Himself came home one day some years ago with several boxes containing his first PC I didn't really see the point and didn't think we needed one! :lol:
0 x
And I dream of a day when our superficial gaze
is replaced with something more real
And the lines on the face are a thing to celebrate
for the tales that they tell

[FolkLaw c.Nick Gibbs 'The Tales That They Tell']

Conor2
Your favourite Runrig song: Proterra.
Favourite Album: all of them
Favourite Gig: SCONE PALACE. 2009.

Postby Conor2 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:14 pm

Hi all iam Malcolm ,named after some guiterist , and have the same birthday as some some drummer . both in some Scotish band .
Iam Scottish but live in God Zone as they like to call it ..
Aotearoa , "Land of the long white cloud".
Found Runrig in 1991 in a pub in Kent .UK. '
Loved them ever since .Support my country and team through thick and thin , (Scotland, Rangers)

And i love her on the left of me .Anastasia.
Last edited by Conor2 on Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
I am going away, in the hour of my days
The warm knowing place still hold you
Though we wander and roam
We will cherish our own
On that long road home, I’ll be waiting..

RUNRIG .

Lancs Dave
Your favourite Runrig song: Ocean Road
Favourite Album: Everything You See

Postby Lancs Dave » Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:35 pm

Not surprisingly, I'm Dave from Lancashire. I packed in work last year at the tender age of 58 and now I am employed full time, unpaid by wife at home and daughter in Leeds, generally painting and decorating. I do a lot of hillwalking, monthly in the Lake District and I get to The Highlands about 6 times a year. Just back from Applecross where a mate of mine has access to a big old estate house next to nowhere - wonderful!

I've climbed all the Munros and am now doing a lot of repeats at a more leisurely pace, most recently in the Cairngorms with Lionel. I'm looking forward to another Runrig hill meet when somebody suggests one.

I like travelling and am going to New Zealand in Jan for 6 weeks to avoid the dark dreary nights here. I also enjoy birding, low level rambling and, of course, Runrig, who I've seen in England, Scotland, Switzerland and Denmark. Going to 2 English concerts next month and Perth in December. Now I must get back to my chores.
0 x

Data1964
Chief joke-teller
Your favourite Runrig song: Chi Mi'n Geamhreadh, Every River
Favourite Album: The Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Bristol 05, BORLUM 07

Postby Data1964 » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:02 pm

Skye High Andy wrote:
Data1964 wrote:Blackmores Night ( :love: Candice :love: )

I know what you mean... don't tell Fifs, she isn't meant to know about that! To mis-quote a famous quote..... I wonder what first attracted the young, beautiful Candice Night to the ageing, greying, over the hill mult-million pound guitarist Richie Blackmore?!!

I wont tell Fifs, if you dont tell Mrs Data! :lol:
Maybe Image Candice Image was attracted to his Musicianship, like wot us blokes are! Image
0 x
Grant me absolute forgiveness for the fool I am!

A h-uile là sona dhuibh 's gun là idir dona dhuib.

Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein loma-làn easgannan

Kitty_Jay

Postby Kitty_Jay » Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:05 pm

I'm Emily, I'm 21 and I was born and brought up in the good old West Country! Sad to say though, I don't have such a spectacular accent as Tiz!

I'm a 3rd year English Lit/Celtic Studies student at Glasgow University. Spent last year living on North Uist and attending Colaiste Beinn na Faoghla on the Gaelic Language and Traditional Music course, which I would recommend to everyone!!! It was amazing. I speak Gaelic sort of fluently (hope to improve), and play the fiddle.

First heard Runrig when Dad bought Long Distance in Fopp after reading about the band in the Scots Magazine. My Dad didn't like it and gave it to me, and I didn't like it either! (I know, it's shameful!). Then we both gave it another go and became hooked. Dad came to Borlum with me (his first Runrig gig), and I do believe he's on the MB somewhere......!

Other than music, which is a major interest, I like reading and writing (Thomas Hardy, The Brontes, Alexander Cordell...) and mountains. I'm currently saving for a trip to the North basecamp of Everest in Tibet after Uni. It's always been my dream to go there as my childhood hero was George Mallory. He still is my hero actually!

That's pretty much me in a nut shell!

:-)
0 x
'girl from the county hell got too annoying to type. I'm so lazy!'

cathrupert
Your favourite Runrig song: In scandinavia

Postby cathrupert » Thu Sep 20, 2007 6:42 pm

Hi I'm Cath just turned 46 and some of you know feeling a bit vulnerable about it It feels like a turning point in the 40's

Been a fan of Runrig since 1992 I think when I saw them as support for Genesis at Roundhay Park in Leeds. Following this I met a guy who was also a fan and took me to a number of gigs 1995 and 1996. He has long gone but the music remains very high on my priority list.

Living in Leeds I have to be a Leeds United fan but perhaps the best said about that the better.

In terms of other music I like classic rock from both britain and America

I work full time as a Family Court Adviser which is a kind of Social Worker and have an eighteen year old son who is currently studying music technology and plays in a band.

I enjoy the pleasures of good music and plenty of wine

Having a great time getting to know people on this board and laughing at some of the humour - keep it up Cath XX :) :)
0 x

Lancs Dave
Your favourite Runrig song: Ocean Road

Postby Lancs Dave » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:49 pm

cathrupert wrote:high on my priority list.

Living in Leeds I have to be a Leeds United fan but perhaps the best said about that the better.

Hi Cath, my daughter was Ken Bate's wine waitress last season (a full time job!!) she can tell some good stories!
0 x

stevie_celt
Your favourite Runrig song: Edge of the World
Favourite Album: Recovery
Favourite Gig: Borlum

Postby stevie_celt » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:10 pm

I'm Steve (Stevie in Scotland). Just turned the big 50, and married for the past 30 years to June, and have just one daughter Laura (currently rebelling) aged 19.

I live near Wolverhampton, having been brought up between Dudley and Blackhill in Glasgow's east end (father from Dudley, Mother from Glasgow).

I work for a certain police force in a specialised department which I am not at liberty to discuss :zipit:

I've been a lifelong supporter of West Bromwich Albion, but also follow Celtic, the family team. Internationally I support Ireland, from my grandparents (I was so tired of the constant bickering between my parents about England and Scotland that I decided to follow Ireland instead :D ).

I also like walking, solitude and lazing in the sun.

First got into Runrig in the nineties after hearing Loch lomond on a compilation disc.
0 x

Return to “Off Topic”