Introduce yourself

Fun & Games, Birthdays, Film, Books, Sport, Hobbies whatever floats your boat talk about it in here.
gael
Your favourite Runrig song: Fifteen?(Beurla) all the Gaidhlig ones
Favourite Album: All of them I have
Favourite Gig: waaaa!

Re: Introduce yourself

Postby gael » Mon May 17, 2010 12:21 am

Hi all!

Well, I just pre-enrolled for the AGA Gaelic classes starting in the fall. I really need to practice what I preach. As an art teacher I tell my students that learning anything isn't always easy, but it's not magic either and art (like language) CAN be learned, and takes PRACTICE, and anyway every journey begins with the first step! This is no different.

So thanks, rig! I have also visited the Akerbeltz website (that runs forum na gaidhlig) some months ago where I had my first encounter with the words to Runrig Gaelic songs. It was one of the reasons I became a Riggie! :love: Awesome website BTW for a humorous and intelligent approach to learning Gaelic. (akerbeltz.org)

gael :music:

"Cha sheas an uair mar a tha i..."
0 x

StandFree1903
Your favourite Runrig song: Rhythm of my Heart
Favourite Album: Long Distance

Postby StandFree1903 » Wed May 26, 2010 2:08 am

Welll, where do i start.

Im Pamela, I get called Pamii or Pam by my friends (and boyfriend).

I am 25 years old, currently unemployed, after the summer i be studying my Higher English so I can progress to Robert Gordon University to study BA Journalism.

Been a fan of Runrig since i was 5 years old. I suffer from anxiety and i feel that the band helps me relax and stay calm with their music.

I am also a sports fan, Support the Dandy Dons (Aberdeen FC), been a lifelong supporter of them. I also dabble in martial arts, at the moment I am doing Kickboxing.

Ok I am going to stop babbling about me and let you all go lol.

Chow

Pamii
x
0 x
"If you keep trying, you'll eventually get what you want. There will be a number of knockbacks along the way, but you just have to keep trying." - Tyrone Smith, STV North Sports Presenter.

Crunchie
Forum Admin

Postby Crunchie » Wed May 26, 2010 9:23 am

Welcome Pamela there's at least another two dons fans here to keep you company.
:D
StandFree1903 wrote:Welll, where do i start.

Im Pamela, I get calle d Pamii or Pam by my friends (and boyfriend).

I am 25 years old, currently unemployed, after the summer i be studying my Higher English so I can progress to Robert Gordon University to study BA Journalism.

Been a fan of Runrig since i was 5 years old. I suffer from anxiety and i feel that the band helps me relax and stay calm with their music.

I am also a sports fan, Support the Dandy Dons (Aberdeen FC), been a lifelong supporter of them. I also dabble in martial arts, at the moment I am doing Kickboxing.

Ok I am going to stop babbling about me and let you all go lol.

Chow

Pamii
x
0 x

usrunrigfan

Postby usrunrigfan » Wed May 26, 2010 5:57 pm

Hi Pam, Welcome to the group. I like Play Gaelic if I am stressed out, which do you use to relax?
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

craig
Your favourite Runrig song: to many to mention
Favourite Album: to many to mention
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003

Postby craig » Wed May 26, 2010 8:27 pm

Well here goes, my names Craig I'm 27 and live in Perth and have been a runrig fan for so long I can't actually remember the first time I heard them!
I got into them when I was wee through older members of my family who were into them in the late 80s and early 90s.
The first time I seen them live was at the Usher Hall in Edinburgh in 2000, since then i've been back to Edinburgh to see them a further few times, a few times at the Albert Hall in Stirling, Stirling Castle in 03, Perth quite a few times,Aberdeen and Crathes Castle in 04.
I missed out on the last couple of big concerts at Loch Ness and Scone because of work commitments but hopefully i'm going to get back to see them live again soon.
Apart from being a big Runrig fan I also like Wolfstone,Big Country, Deacon Blue,Cappercallie,Dougie MacLean,and pretty much anything else along that line.
When I'm not at work I also like hillwalking, cycling and have just started playing golf (very badly!!).
Well thats a very quick introduction from me, hopefully I will bump in to some of you in here or at the next concert,I have tried to log in to the chat room here but my pc does'nt like it and won't let me in for some reason, hopefully get it sorted out soon,
till then have a good one
Craig xx
0 x

usrunrigfan

Postby usrunrigfan » Thu May 27, 2010 1:29 am

Hi Craig, welcome to the group.
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

chris49
Your favourite Runrig song: Chi M'in Geamhradh
Favourite Album: Gaelic Collection.
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 1998

Hi Everyone

Postby chris49 » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:03 am

Hi Everyone.

I'm Chris and I've just joined the forum. I enjoy listening to Runrig any chance I get and have to admit that they are the best Celtic band I have ever heard. I really enjoy the song " Chi M'in Geamhradh " because it is just so easy on the ear. ( Am listening to it as I type this ). :D

I've only ever been to one concert at Stirling Castle in August of 1998 but sadly missed the concert in Edinburgh back in 2008. :(

Hope hear some of the more recent news about the band since I last looked them up on the website.

I am studying Gaidhlig and find that listening to some of the songs helps me with the pronunciation of some of the words I hear.

Must go now as up early.

Mar sin leibh an-drasta.

Chris.
0 x

usrunrigfan

Postby usrunrigfan » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:17 am

Welcome to the group, Chris. I personally refer to Runrig as the best band on the planet. ;)

Make sure you check out the Gaelic Learner's thread.
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

chris49
Your favourite Runrig song: Chi M'in Geamhradh
Favourite Album: Gaelic Collection.
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 1998

Postby chris49 » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:44 am

usrunrigfan wrote:Welcome to the group, Chris. I personally refer to Runrig as the best band on the planet. ;)

Make sure you check out the Gaelic Learner's thread.

Thanx mate, it's good to find a site that deals " BEST BAND IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE " :D

I listen to Runrig virtually every day and prefer to play any of the albums I have with a bit of volume.....lol.

Catch ya layer mate, I will check out the Gaelic Learners Thread in due course.

Moran taing agus mar sin leibh an-drasta.

Chris.
0 x

usrunrigfan

Postby usrunrigfan » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:46 am

>I listen to Runrig virtually every day and prefer to play any of the albums I have with a bit of volume.....lol.

Me too, I never get sick of them.
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

gael

Postby gael » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:55 am

Hi all! We returned from Scotland the 12th of August. It was so amazing! A week in the Borders, and another in the Highlands. I took around 2700 pictures, I cried when we left, and I miss it still. :( :love: I heard a lot of Gaidhlig spoken in the Highlands and Islands, and am still taking classes!

I listen to Runrig every day, in my car on the way to and from work mostly, with the bass up full and the volume loud! Rockin' out to the best band on the planet. :love: :love: And at home, of course. Some of my students like them, and I got both my kids hooked. I try to listen to other Scottish music, but nobody compares to Runrig. I just can't get enough. And those of you who get to go in December...I hope you have a great time! I'm saving up for next time, walking on home ground and finally getting to see the lads live. :music:

Mar sin leibh an drasda!
0 x
Cha chaidil mi gun till mi do mo ghraidh

Soar above the singing river...Running to the light.

Bine
Your favourite Runrig song: Big Sky
Favourite Album: Mara
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness 2007

Postby Bine » Sun Oct 03, 2010 9:11 am

Hi guys,
I've been a RUNRIG fan for more than 20 years. So I became old together with them - I'm 46 now.
I adored Donnie's voice (I still do), I love Rory's very much, I like Bruce's.
Only in 2005 I started attending live concerts in Germany, Denmark and Scotland on a regular, frequent basis. Most times on my own, because I love to travel alone. But my husband and family got used to live with a mad one and sometimes come with me to the German concerts at least. ;)
As I'm not really the type of person who needs many people around me to be happy, I only started with fan-club and stuff like that very later on (2007), but I found out that I like it.
0 x

rig

Postby rig » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:56 pm

Hi Chris, hi Bine, fàilte oirbh!

Hope you'll enjoy the scope this forum gives you for talikng endlessley about Runrig and singing their praises without people thinking you're mad! :twisted:

Chris and Gael, ciamar a tha ur cuid Gàidhlig? How's your Gaelic these days?

Gael, did you get started with AGA? Glad you enjoyed your trip to Alba so much and were able to listen to Gaelic being spoken. Where did you go?
0 x

The colour frontier
The ageing light
The sight that knows no fear

gael

Postby gael » Sun Oct 03, 2010 6:42 pm

Hi rig, and everyone! The Gaidhlig is going as well as can be expected for someone my age learning it! Tha mi sean, agus slaodach! But when I think of where I was a year ago and where I am now, it gives me hope. I have extra duty school-related things this year ('S e tidsear a th' annam) so I didn't sign up for the AGA course, but I am still taking my classes in Seattle. Learning verbs now!!!! And I'm addicted. :o

Alba...in a nutshell then: Gatwick then York, over the Border to the Peebles area, most of the Border abbeys, towns my family is from (some family still there probably), formidible Border Reiver places (Hermitage), Siccar Point (birthplace of Geology), Edinburgh, Rosslyn, Bannockburn, Glencoe (we stayed there), Loch Ness and Caisteal Urquart, Culloden (powerful, moving experience!) Ullapool and by ferry to Lewis, Calanais, overnight in Tarbert, to Skye by ferry, Oban (distillery and uisge beatha), very briefly through Aberfeldy, a ton of castles around Glencoe, through Glasgow in the back of a tow-truck (don't ask!), down to Haltwhistle and the Roman fort and Hadrian's wall, Wales (Ruthin), Stratford upon Avon, and back to Gatwick via Oxford. A day in London, then home. (Is this home?) The food was great without exception, the people were nice with one exception and that was in Wales, and I didn't want to come back. Skye was by far my favorite place in the Highlands! Peebleshire in the Borders. The Bonny Tweed...

I was supposed to meet up with Alec Macdonald (brother of Robert Macdonald, the late accordionist of Runrig's first recording "Play Gaelic"), whom I met at the Seattle Feis (he was a guest presenter and is a great guy!), but we didn't get to Aberdeen this trip. :cry:

Anyway, next time I return, it will be to hear my favorite lads play my favorite music. I hope this wasn't too long!

Tioraidh!
0 x

rig

Postby rig » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:14 pm

Mòran taing, Gael - tha mi toilichte gun do chòrd an turas riut! :D

Glad you enjoyed the trip! And what a trip - you don't seem to have drawn breath!
You will have great memomories as you go through all these photos.

DO hope you make it back to soon and can catch our lads in action. :music:
The Barras gig would be good, but probably a bit much to have two trips in one year. As they are not touring in 2011, you have time to get saving!

Gur math a thèid leat leis a' Ghàidhlig!

:rose:
0 x

The colour frontier
The ageing light
The sight that knows no fear

vonmore
Your favourite Runrig song: every river ,The ship.
Favourite Album: stamping ground
Favourite Gig: lochness 07 glos 07 the castle 08

Postby vonmore » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:25 pm

hello ...........i have been away to long......blame fb lol

i love all thats runrig.....ahhhhh Brucie babe..........
black mores nights........love u to colin.....lol
chris de burgh....love u to trousers..........hehehe

now that leaves jon bon jovi.........top of my egg any morning.......xxx

and not forgetting the very yummy mr williams...........that i would consider bigamy for...lol

and yes just as mad as ever.................xxxx :music: :rose: :love:
0 x
YOU ASK ME TO BELIEVE IN MAGIC
EXPECT ME TO COMMIT SUICIDE OF THE HEART
AND YOU ASK ME TO PLAY THIS GAME WITHOUT QUESTION

RAISING THE STAKES ON THIS SHOTGUN ROULETTE

gael

Postby gael » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:50 pm

As the Barras celebration nears, I become sadder and ever more melancholy that I can't be there with you all, listening live to the best band in the universe for all time (not exaggerating!)

Aye, two trips to Scotland in one year would have been costly (tha sin daor!), and if I'd known about Runrig when I was planning our summer trip two years ago, I would have done things differently. I actually cried when I realized it would be impossible! (And I'm doing it again!)

So to all of you fellow Riggie-peeps going, my best, and I'll be there in spirit, rockin' with you all. I. LOVE. THIS. BAND!
0 x

Bine
Favourite Album: Mara
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness 2007

Postby Bine » Wed Nov 24, 2010 1:23 pm

gael wrote:As the Barras celebration nears, I become sadder and ever more melancholy that I can't be there with you all, listening live to the best band in the universe for all time (not exaggerating!)

Aye, two trips to Scotland in one year would have been costly (tha sin daor!), and if I'd known about Runrig when I was planning our summer trip two years ago, I would have done things differently. I actually cried when I realized it would be impossible! (And I'm doing it again!)

So to all of you fellow Riggie-peeps going, my best, and I'll be there in spirit, rockin' with you all. I. LOVE. THIS. BAND!

:rose: Don't be so sad. You will see them live on stage after their sabbatical, together with all those who could or couldn't go to Barrowland in December.
WE. ALL. LOVE. THIS. BAND. :)
0 x

Adelheid
Favourite Gig: Germany 2010

Postby Adelheid » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:22 pm

Hi all,
my name is Elke and I´m 46. I`m new in the forum. First I heard a lot of music from Wolfstone. Then I discovered Runrig in 2004. I bought "Proterra" and was excited. I especially like the galic songs. My first concert was in germany a year ago, it was great.
;)
Elke
0 x

Crunchie
Forum Admin

Postby Crunchie » Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:08 pm

Welcome on board Eckle! :D
0 x

Return to “Off Topic”