Wildlife Appreciation Thread.

Fun & Games, Birthdays, Film, Books, Sport, Hobbies whatever floats your boat talk about it in here.
Vanadane
Favourite Album: Everything You See
Favourite Gig: Silkeborg 2010

Re: Wildlife Appreciation Thread.

Postby Vanadane » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:47 pm

From_t'North wrote:
Vanadane wrote:I wish I didn't live in the "city"... Well, it has more than 200 citizens, so technically it is a "by", which is the Danish word for city or town.

We have "by" in English place names too - from the Danish. I lived in Derby (Deer-by). But there are loads around where the Danish invaders settled
I knew about "by" being in English place names, but I didn't know the reason. ;) And by the way, sorry about the invasion! :lol: :lol: :lol:
0 x
Together we stand ... divided we fall.

From_t'North
Your favourite Runrig song: Ubhal as Airde
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Nottingham June 1993 - my first

Postby From_t'North » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:14 pm

Vanadane wrote:
From_t'North wrote:
Vanadane wrote:I wish I didn't live in the "city"... Well, it has more than 200 citizens, so technically it is a "by", which is the Danish word for city or town.

We have "by" in English place names too - from the Danish. I lived in Derby (Deer-by). But there are loads around where the Danish invaders settled
I knew about "by" being in English place names, but I didn't know the reason. ;) And by the way, sorry about the invasion! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Its all part of the rich tapestry of our culture - and the reason why English is such a mongrel language - a bit here and there from all the cultures which have invaded over the years - Celtic/Saxon/Danish and French are the dominant influences.
0 x
There's a place
Where the rocks of Caithness
Lie beside the ocean
On summer days
...It's the future and it's safe

Crunchie
Forum Admin

Postby Crunchie » Tue Jul 19, 2011 4:55 pm

Heard a massive commotion outside a few weeks ago and came out to find a cat being dive bombed by blackbirds. On closer inspection kitty catty had a young blackie in its mouth but dropped it when I sprinted toward it shouting at the top of my voice.

Baby blackie had a few scratches and cat bites are apparently full of bacteria so we took him in to give it a feeding up along with some antibiotic. My vet knows me well enough by now not to mind my ringing late at night to ask if I can go ahead and give medication.

Blackie turned into quite a handsome wee thing

We let him/her go after a week though I took him to my parents who have an enclosed garden.

mucked up his flight to freedom though and crash landed into a home made fence we'd errected to stop the rabbits eating mums flowers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo97DNGyreM

After he'd hopped about in the bushes for a while he flew into the rabbits shed via their catflap. :shock:

Came out the other side and took refuge in a plant pot while one of the rabbits crept ever closer in order to nose at him.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgLn9TcER5Q

He came back to the garden for food in the morning and at night for a week afterward, not sure where he's gone now though. While he was with me I had to stick him in the bathroom with a tray of dirt and worms. Eventually he worked out that if he scratched the soil he'd find bugs in it though he was taking all manner of live insects by the time he left.
0 x

Sheltie
Your favourite Runrig song: The Greatest Flame
Favourite Album: EYS
Favourite Gig: The next one!

Postby Sheltie » Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:56 pm

I must go through my holiday pics and upload a few more but here is our visitor at the bottom of the garden in Lochmaddy. He stayed for ages, seeming to be happy to be photographed. A little Doe was with him but much more skittish. Just lovely. :love: :love:
Attachments
resize stag.jpg
resize stag.jpg (47.62 KiB) Viewed 2799 times
0 x

From_t'North
Your favourite Runrig song: Ubhal as Airde
Favourite Gig: Nottingham June 1993 - my first

Postby From_t'North » Fri Dec 23, 2011 5:39 pm

Something for Chrunchie - poor wee little snake :( - luckily found before it got too cold :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-16316110

The Scottish SPCA is appealing for information after the discovery of the albino kingsnake at the Lidl store in Leven.

The young snake is being cared for at one of the charity's animal rescue and rehoming centre, where it has been given the name "Tinsel
0 x
There's a place
Where the rocks of Caithness
Lie beside the ocean
On summer days
...It's the future and it's safe

Crunchie
Forum Admin

Postby Crunchie » Mon Dec 26, 2011 12:02 pm

From_t'North wrote:Something for Chrunchie - poor wee little snake :( - luckily found before it got too cold :)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-16316110

The Scottish SPCA is appealing for information after the discovery of the albino kingsnake at the Lidl store in Leven.

The young snake is being cared for at one of the charity's animal rescue and rehoming centre, where it has been given the name "Tinsel

Poor wee mite, I hope someone nice adopts him or her. :)
0 x

roadtrip
Your favourite Runrig song: Too many to list
Favourite Gig: New York, 2004

Postby roadtrip » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:41 pm

I recently read about the oil covered birds washing up on the shores of Uist. As no sign of oil is to be seen on the beaches, it's not known where the birds ran into it. Most of the birds are dead, but a few have been found alive, so the oil can't be too far away can it?
Does anybody know more? I read the report on BBC online.
0 x
All our roads are waiting to be revealed...
I'm still here with the eyes of a child, the wonder never grows old

DaveyTee
Your favourite Runrig song: Loch Lomond, This Darkest Winter, Skye.
Favourite Album: Once in a Lifetime
Favourite Gig: Wolverhampton '93

Postby DaveyTee » Sat Jun 16, 2012 2:06 pm

Over the last few days I seem to have seen quite a lot of wildlife round here. First, I saw a roe deer with her fawn - the latter was obviously fairly new and couldn't have been any bigger than a hare. They were grazing quite contentedly in a field opposite our village and I was able to watch them for some time.

I came across possibly the same deer a few days later while walking the dog in the woods in the vening. I suddenly saw the deer, partly obscured by undertgrowth, not more than 15 yards from me. Strangely, the dog did not see it. The deer and I stood and looked at each other for maybe 15 seconds, then I slowly turned away and moved on.

That same morning a buzzard had swooped across the patch just in front of me, then soaring up and coming to rest in a nearby tree. It's not until you see them in flight as close up as that that you know just how majestic (and big!) thay are. Saw a red squirrel the same morning - almost all the squirrels round us are now red, largely due to an active culling of the greys.

Then last night I went out of the backdoor in the darkness and tripped over what I thought was soft football. It turned out to be a hedgehog. I was worried I might have hurt it and went back in, but then watched it and after a few minutes it uncurled itself and scuttled away. Since seeing that I've put a net over the pond as in the past I have had the sad task of fishing out a drowned hedgehog.

Finally, here's a picture of one of the regular visitors to our garden. Both he and his mate consume large quantities of our peanuts, and this week I was pleased to see one of them and a juvenile in our apple tree, with the adult making trips to the peanuts and then returning to the tree to feed the juvenile (who looked nearly as big as the adult).

Last edited by DaveyTee on Sun Apr 07, 2013 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
Scottish, not British.

Crunchie
Forum Admin

Postby Crunchie » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:17 pm

Good shot Davey, I always found the woodpeckers that came to our feeder a bit shy and so we only ever got photos of the male.

At the moment we're trying to photograph a fox which we've spotted on the opposite side of the canal when we take our dogs out. I assume he/she must have a den nearby but there's plenty of ducks and rabbits to be had.

Hoping to get up north soon for a wee whale watching trip.
0 x

usrunrigfan

Postby usrunrigfan » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:46 am

Even though I live in town, I am fortunate enough to rent a sizable piece of property surrounded by parkland. On any given day, I see permanent residents: geese (yuk, messy), ducks, birds of all kinds, a hawk, squirrels, chipmunks, groundhogs and rabbits. Passing through on a regular basis are deer, blue herron, buzzards, raccoons, skunks, opossums. A few times a year I see huge turtles (as in bigger than a shovelhead) and coyotes. If I go down to the creek at the end of the property I see big snakes. I avoid the creek in the summer and only go down there when it is too cold for them to be out.

Many of the formentioned enjoy eating anything I plant, so I have taken to growing only what nothing will eat, which can be a challenge, as the groundhogs will even come up on the porch for a potted plant. Veggies are out of the question, so now I just have a few kinds of flowers and ornamental grass. I've even had deer eat evergreen shrubs.
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

gaelwildflower
Your favourite Runrig song: Amazing Things
Favourite Album: Mara, The Big Wheel

Postby gaelwildflower » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:03 pm

I saw the cutest little family of skunks waddling across the street. Luckily, momma skunk didn't spray. :)
0 x
"Here's to you, as good as you are, and here's to me, as bad as I am; but as good as you are and as bad as I am, I'm as good as you are, as bad as I am."

DaveyTee

Postby DaveyTee » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:38 am

Very pleased - we have found newts by our pond! :D

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

scotgirl
Global Moderator

Postby scotgirl » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:25 pm

Within the past month, I've seen 5 dolphins from the beach in the town where I live. I love dolphins, they're one of my favourite creatures :D
0 x
"The silent skies, an innocent heart, holding the moment away from time in the dark. All I see, all I know, is touching the sacred earth and warming the hallowed ground" - C & R Macdonald

joyce_m
Your favourite Runrig song: Sona, Flower of the West, Sunndach
Favourite Gig: Glasgow 2/12/09

Postby joyce_m » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:58 pm

RSPB Loch Garten have today ringed and tagged this year's osprey chicks.

They have been named Caledonia and Alba.
0 x
Thig crioch air an t-saoghal, ach maraidh gaol is ceol

Crunchie
Forum Admin

Postby Crunchie » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:34 pm

Had a little party of harvest men on my balcony this morning, I wonder what they were up to. :shock:

There were 11 of them there, all similar in size.
0 x

roadtrip
Your favourite Runrig song: Too many to list
Favourite Gig: New York, 2004

Postby roadtrip » Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:53 pm

We call those spiders "daddy-long-legs" here.
0 x
All our roads are waiting to be revealed...
I'm still here with the eyes of a child, the wonder never grows old

Lothlorien

Postby Lothlorien » Sat Jul 28, 2012 9:58 pm

Best bird I have seen this year by a long chalk...... (European Roller)
Attachments
Roller.jpg
Roller.jpg (60.97 KiB) Viewed 2395 times
0 x
"A dog bit me. B.I.Itme, Bit Me"

DaveyTee

Postby DaveyTee » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:38 am

roadtrip wrote:We call those spiders "daddy-long-legs" here.

We use that term too, but in relation to crane flies (family Tipulidae), not harvestmen as pictured by Crunchie.

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

DaveyTee

Postby DaveyTee » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:44 am

Lothlorien wrote:Best bird I have seen this year by a long chalk...... (European Roller)

What an excellent picture of a rare visitor, Loth! Did you know it was around or did you just get it by chance?

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

Lothlorien

Postby Lothlorien » Sun Jul 29, 2012 8:03 pm

DaveyTee wrote:
Lothlorien wrote:Best bird I have seen this year by a long chalk...... (European Roller)

What an excellent picture of a rare visitor, Loth! Did you know it was around or did you just get it by chance?

DT

I knew it was there. I don't usually travel to see birds but this was within an hour and a half drive so I incorporated it into a day out. It hung around for about 2 weeks in Aldborough near to Withernsea in E Yorks.
0 x
"A dog bit me. B.I.Itme, Bit Me"

Return to “Off Topic”