Closure of Forum

Runrig discussion - This forum is for chatter on Runrig and their current affairs, albums and tours.
DaveyTee
Your favourite Runrig song: Loch Lomond, This Darkest Winter, Skye.
Favourite Album: Once in a Lifetime
Favourite Gig: Wolverhampton '93

Closure of Forum

Postby DaveyTee » Sun May 29, 2016 9:50 am

Well, I suppose it was inevitable. I can only say thank you to Crunchie for keeping the forum going in spite of minimal assistance from the Office and even less from the band. I think that the final straw for her must have been the refusal to repair the broken link to the forum on the band's official website. And of course it seems that those who are still interested in Runrig have gone to Facebook, IMO a pretty awful alternative to what this forum once was. But having said all that, I shall miss some of the stalwart few who have remained until the end.

DT
2 x
Scottish, not British.

puffin
Engine Room

Re: Closure of Forum

Postby puffin » Sun May 29, 2016 10:06 am

Absolutely agree Davey. Crunchie has done a grand job and I'm sorry to see the Forum go. One thing I will miss is the ability to search for old discussions: Facebook is too "now" and leaves no real permanent record.

Au revoir Davey - we may yet meet up at a gig somewhere, some day! :)
0 x
And I dream of a day when our superficial gaze
is replaced with something more real
And the lines on the face are a thing to celebrate
for the tales that they tell

[FolkLaw c.Nick Gibbs 'The Tales That They Tell']

Bine
Your favourite Runrig song: Big Sky
Favourite Album: Mara
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness 2007

Postby Bine » Sun May 29, 2016 12:28 pm

This is just so sad.
Thank you so much indeed, Crunchie, for all your efforts.

Repairing a broken link on a website is a matter of about 3 minutes. One could speculate that the link was intentionally broken to isolate the forum. I had once discovered a broken ticket-sale-link on the official website leading to a wrong target. I had informed the office and the link was corrected within less than 30 minutes. Commercial issues involved seem to help improving motivation.

Thank you DT and all the others for the great discussions we had on here.
I will miss you so much.
Like Puffin, I can just hope that we'll meet again sometime, somehow.

Sad.
1 x

DaveyTee

Postby DaveyTee » Mon May 30, 2016 9:10 am

I do have your email address, Bine........ :love:

Sad that even after Crunchie's announcement only three people have responded. Perhaps says it all.

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

Crunchie
Forum Admin

Postby Crunchie » Mon May 30, 2016 10:56 am

Bine wrote:This is just so sad.
Thank you so much indeed, Crunchie, for all your efforts.

Repairing a broken link on a website is a matter of about 3 minutes. One could speculate that the link was intentionally broken to isolate the forum. I had once discovered a broken ticket-sale-link on the official website leading to a wrong target. I had informed the office and the link was corrected within less than 30 minutes. Commercial issues involved seem to help improving motivation.

Thank you DT and all the others for the great discussions we had on here.
I will miss you so much.
Like Puffin, I can just hope that we'll meet again sometime, somehow.

Sad.

Ordinarily a broken link should be easy to fix as you say, from what I've been told something has gone wrong with the site since it was hacked. It's a bit worrying, if that's the case, that the office seem to have no control over some aspects of the site. Touch wood I've never had a website hacked before but if I did I'd be wiping it and restoring from a backup to regain full control but I'm not aware of the full story regarding this.
The link definately wasn't broken intentionally as it leads to our old address, the last time the link broke I bought up the old domain name and pointed it to where the forum is currently located so the link worked for a year.
I think the old domain name ran out in April and I didn't really have the money spare to buy it again which was why I got back in touch with the office to ask if the link could be changed.
0 x

Bine
Your favourite Runrig song: Big Sky
Favourite Album: Mara
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness 2007

Postby Bine » Mon May 30, 2016 3:37 pm

Thank you Crunchie for your explanation.
Possibly, it's some sort of comfort that the problem seems to be money in combination with some bugs in the website, in combination with 'not so perfect' website administration at the office.

DaveyTee wrote:I do have your email address, Bine........ :love: DT

You're right, I completely forgot! ...... and you're of course most welcome to get in contact. :D

DaveyTee wrote: Sad that even after Crunchie's announcement only three people have responded. Perhaps says it all. DT

Exactly what I thought. Most of them seem to be facebook victims :zipit: - or not interested in the band anymore :cry: And I don't know which of those options is worse.
0 x

DaveyTee

Postby DaveyTee » Mon May 30, 2016 5:42 pm

Bine wrote:Most of them seem to be facebook victims :zipit: - or not interested in the band anymore

To be fair, Bine, it's really not all surprising if interest has waned. The band has basically retired. There are to be no new albums and presumably no new songs. All the fans may get is a gig every now and again when/if the band feels like it, and perhaps the occasional solo offering - who knows?. And not all have us have thought that the last two or three albums have been all that good. On the other hand, I've really enjoyed playing some of the old albums that had been gathering a bit of dust.

Of course, there used to be some cracking discussions in Lively Debates that had nothing to do with the band (where are you Roadtrip?). Now you don't get that sort of thing on Facebook.

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

eilidh2002
Your favourite Runrig song: Going Home. From The North. Ocean Rd
Favourite Album: Cutter and the Clan
Favourite Gig: Skye 1990/Stirling Castle 2003/Barras 89-12

Postby eilidh2002 » Mon May 30, 2016 7:56 pm

Sorry I only just noticed what's happening as been ill the past couple of days.I'm really sorry to hear that the forum is to close. Thanks Crunchie for all your hard work in keeping it going so long. I joined just after the Borlum gig and really enjoyed the many discussions about the band and about various subjects in the Lively Debates section over the years . I can fully understand your frustration about the link not being able to be fixed from the official website and of course money has to be a factor in anything like this. It is a pity that we are now just going to be left with Facebook and Twitter to comment on Runrig. It seems to be the way of things these days. It's only 18 months or so since the Runrig Ardlist closed and I know lack of postings was a major factor in that. I am a member of the Runrig Facebook group and occasionally post there. I also keep an eye out for Twitter postings re the band but I don't really like either service. I found this forum and the Ardlist much more like a community and I have to admit that I despise Facebook as a company. I have my privacy settings as high as I can as I just don't trust them with my data.
DT I don't really think there is a lack of interest in the band and Iain Bayne occasionally posts on the Runrig Facebook page. Don't know why band members seem to be slightly more interested in posting there than here maybe because Facebook and Twitter seem to be everywhere I guess. The Facebook group seems to have a fair amount of new posts most days and there is definitely a keen interest in Runrig concerts still with a fair amount of people looking for tickets for both Scottish summer shows. As far as I know Edinburgh Castle and Hebfest are for the most part sold out. I look forward to attending both. I was surprised to get an email from the Hebfest organisers saying that if anyone had any spare tickets for the day Runrig are playing that will be unused they could return them to the festival and get a refund. Looks to be definitely plenty of interest in the band and their music I would say. It seems they will do less shows than in the past but hopefully not retire all together. I think this forum has fallen victim to a changing internet and I don't think it's changing for the better.Thanks again Crunchie I am really going to miss this forum and am really sad to see it go . This page has been my browser home page for years and I really don't know what to make my new home page once it closes.
Elaine
1 x

DaveyTee

Postby DaveyTee » Tue May 31, 2016 10:19 am

Well, I guess that's it. :cry: It's the right decision, Crunchie, but I'll miss everyone. However, time to sign off, time to say goodbye. I'll leave you with Paolo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3n0MSqmeIY

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

herzchen
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: LochNess+Leipzig07, Edinb.08, Oberhausen10, POTM

Postby herzchen » Tue May 31, 2016 10:45 am

Oh! :shock:
Been a forum member for approx. 9 years and have been visiting every now and then over the last months - and am glad I am today, else I would have missed the chance for a final comment. It comes as a shock that a place like this so many fans have shared over the years will be closed now, but I understand the reasons given. I will miss it :cry: . Similar to Elaine, I follow the FB fan groups but find it difficult to keep track due to the masses of posts and short comments there, and FB is not quite a comfortable place to have lengthy discussions like in "proper" forum threads. I can only underline what Elaine has said:
I think this forum has fallen victim to a changing internet and I don't think it's changing for the better.

I will miss the lengthy discussions and debates on here, and the often well-grounded comments and opinions people have shared. Thanks everyone :rose: for your contributions over the years, and thanks a million to Crunchie :rose: :rose: :rose: for putting so much work in it and keeping it all going for so long.

See you out there I hope!

herzchen
*bowing*
1 x

scoteire
Your favourite Runrig song: Every River
Favourite Album: Searchlight
Favourite Gig: 2001 Cologne, Palladium (IMuvrini+Runrig)

Postby scoteire » Tue May 31, 2016 1:16 pm

Thank you for the time and work. I know how difficult it is to moderate and develop a forum in the time of social media / facebook.
But I´am also still there with my site:

http://www.scoteire.de/forum/Runrig

now it is only in german language, but maybe interesting for english speaking people:
http://www.scoteire.de/forum/runrig-forum-english
1 x
Runrig Fan-Community
http://www.scoteire.de

WaterWolf
Your favourite Runrig song: Right now: In Scandinavia
Favourite Gig: Scone 09!

Postby WaterWolf » Tue May 31, 2016 8:43 pm

I too would like to thank Crunchie for keeping for keeping this forum going all this time! :rose:
I'm one of the many people who haven't posted anything here in a long time, but I've loved being able to log on and see the discussions about concerts past and the like from when I first became a forum member until now.
So thanks for the lovely time I've had on this forum! :love:
0 x
Good happiness is shared

herzchen
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: LochNess+Leipzig07, Edinb.08, Oberhausen10, POTM

Postby herzchen » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:18 am

scoteire wrote:Thank you for the time and work. I know how difficult it is to moderate and develop a forum in the time of social media / facebook.
But I´am also still there with my site:

http://www.scoteire.de/forum/Runrig

now it is only in german language, but maybe interesting for english speaking people:
http://www.scoteire.de/forum/runrig-forum-english

I can also only encourage everyone interested to try scoteire.de. Most of us are able to at least read/understand English, and many are able to reply in English.
0 x

nimhue
Your favourite Runrig song: Hearts Of Olden Glory
Favourite Album: Party On The Moor

Postby nimhue » Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:24 am

I haven't been much here recently but definitely a bunch of thanks to Crunchie for running it for so long and ,y big thanks to everyone who have posted here - see you somewhere in cyberspace :rose: :music: :love:
0 x
Cha d' dhùin dorus nach d'fhosgail dorus.

Return to “Runrig”