Edinburgh Usher Hall 13 Feb

Runrig discussion - This forum is for chatter on Runrig and their current affairs, albums and tours.
mitc
Your favourite Runrig song: Flower of the West
Favourite Album: Searchlight

Edinburgh Usher Hall 13 Feb

Postby mitc » Sun Feb 14, 2016 2:37 pm

I thought Aberdeen was good but Edinburgh was even better. Lively crowd with people dancing from the first song I think that was my best 'seated' gig. I like to stand but try not to if I'm going to block someones view but most around me were standing. The short break between the support act took me by surprise wasn't expecting Runrig to be on so soon! The new songs were greeted with the same enthusiasm as old favourites. I didn't see any one getting told to sit down so stewards must have been a bit more lenient than at Dundee. All the band seemed in good form from where I was, lots of dancing from Rory. Loved the addition of Malcolm on guitar to the drum solos, and the bass and guitar solos in the second song of the encore.
2 x

Crunchie
Forum Admin

Re: Edinburgh Usher Hall 13 Feb

Postby Crunchie » Sun Feb 14, 2016 3:07 pm

The Usher hall was the only gig I could really get to on the tour so I'm glad I went. I thought that the crowd were all on board from about Pride of the Summer onwards, I thought folk didnt take to the new songs quite as much as I imagined they would. Highlight for me was The Story I think. The song is rather sad but the video and such is so well done.
1 x

Highlander284
Your favourite Runrig song: Dance Called America, Maymorning
Favourite Album: All of them
Favourite Gig: Loch Lomond,POTM,many more

Postby Highlander284 » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:02 pm

Just back home after great 3 day trip to see Runrig in Glasgow, Dundee & Edinburgh & contrary to some negative comments on other gig reviews on the forum, the gigs were all terrific...there were some minor issues on occasions on sound but the new songs & the old songs were terrific, the band WERE together, the effort & energy WAS there , I do feel the Edinburgh gig edged the others purely on the audience overall participation & being up for the gig, but it was usual Runrig genius .... I was lucky to meet the guys at the after show party at the Usher Hall last night, I was extremely fortuitous owing to a lucky set of circumstances to get an invite & the guys were just their down to earth welcoming selves although Bruce looked tired..... Calum & Rory are such beautiful people that it just warms my heart... I am a 57 year old man who has followed them for 38 years & not prone to submitting comments on forums... But I love them dearly ...they have played such an integral part of my life & part of the my fabric of my total love for the Highlands & Islands of SCOTLAND TO WHO I belong....I will catch them again next week in Manchester & let me assure anyone who has not yet seen them on this tour ITs Brilliant as always & you will love it... The critics have it wrong
2 x

Owen
Your favourite Runrig song: Somethings Got To Give
Favourite Album: Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Inverness 2012

Postby Owen » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:43 pm

By all means Highlander, the usual standard of Runrig's performance on all dates of this Scottish tour hasn't diminished, that quite frankly goes without saying, however, I don't believe to be wrong or incorrect in my analysis of the Aberdeen gig. It may well have been some teething issues with this being a new album/tour etc, but I felt some kind of disjoint and my feelings were only exasperated further when Bruce decided to tell us that the band have been having meetings and quite simply don't have a clue in what is happening next - most people seemed to see that comment rather light heartedly, but truth be it, for me, the fact that the band do not have a clue where or what they are doing next is actually a very worrying development - Bruce also said something else (Can't remember exactly what it was) that sounded like he was having a dig and to me it sounded like he was getting a little bit tired and peeved off with all of this. I realise that I am probably wrong in my analysis but this is just how I felt about it and while others who were at Aberdeen might not share my views on the gig, I think certainly DT can relate to some of what I am saying, particularly regarding Dundee.
0 x

DaveyTee
Your favourite Runrig song: Loch Lomond, This Darkest Winter, Skye.
Favourite Album: Once in a Lifetime
Favourite Gig: Wolverhampton '93

Postby DaveyTee » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:15 pm

No, Owen, I can't say that I noticed or felt any discord among the band, although if there had been I doubt that I would have recognised it (unless, of course, they had come to blows or something :twisted: ). I just thought that the Dundee gig didn't really start particularly well and was initially a bit low key though things improved as the gig went on and by the end were very much back to normal.

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

windy miller

Postby windy miller » Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:07 pm

I can only say again was at Aberdeen, Glasgow, and Dundee, thought lads looked happy refreshed with new set list had great time with my family of 5 two are teenagers and they all enjoyed it, Bruce seemed happy great story about his time in bar with older man, great 3 nights who ever has not seen this tour GO if not give me your tickets THANK YOU RUNRIG XX
0 x

Bluejay
Your favourite Runrig song: Protect and Survive
Favourite Gig: Newcastle City Hall

Postby Bluejay » Mon Feb 15, 2016 8:02 am

I really enjoyed the Usher Hall too, although in parts the sound issues did spoil it slightly for me.

Hope they get it sorted before they play Gatesheeed!!
0 x

doublevc
Your favourite Runrig song: The Cutter/Leaving Strathconan/YOTF
Favourite Album: The Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003/Barras 2008 (Fri)

Postby doublevc » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:26 am

Firstly a great show (as per) at the Usher Hall on Saturday and I'm going to try and give my take on the various points raised on this thread and others about the tour.

Venue - first time in the Usher Hall and it's a good venue - a proper old school theatre where even if you are in the back row of the upper circle you aren't really too far away from the stage. I didn't realise it was so long since I saw the band indoors and my personal take on these kind of shows is it would be better if the floor was left for standing so you have the choice when buying a ticket but I realise it may not be easy for every venue to take out the seats. As for sound issues maybe it's my hearing (the years have taken their toll!) but I didn't notice anything being too 'off'.

Setlist - pretty much as per what is on the setlist thread. Obviously they had to change things to accommodate songs from the new album but apart from Harvest Moon is there really anything new from recent tours? I made it only 3 songs from the previous 4 albums (ie the Bruce years). However we can't be choosers and you pay your money you take your chance. The standout was without question Bruce with IOSA - I would consider this a real highlight from all my years watching the band. Another note was Malkys nod to Bowie with some riffs from Rebel Rebel during Maymoring. The new songs came across well with Onar being a good opening and The Story being the pick of the bunch.

The Band - probably paid more attention to this than normal as a result of Owens comments. I didn't see anything that made me think all wasn't well in the camp - they all seemed to interact as per normal and Bruce and Rory done their usual jammin and a jigging. I don't mean this in a bad way at all but with regards to comments about Malcolms health he has always looked to me as a bit peely wally - I mean who else cuts around on a roasting stage with a leather jacket on??? In relation to the 'speech' Bruce made about them not being able to agree I took it as a light hearted comment. Think about it in terms of setlist even - put 6 mature RR fans in a room and ask them to come up with a setlist for a gig and you'd be a while in there before everyone was in 100% agreement! My only observation that could be constrained as a negative vibe is that it seemed to me that Bruce spent more time than normal off stage/in the background but as I say maybe its because I was watching for these kind of minor things.

So the show goes on and I'll be back in the capital in July (and possibly make it to Lewis). Hopefully they will shake the set a bit for the summer shows and play for maybe a bit longer (we can live in hope).
1 x
Can anyone explain?

alick
Your favourite Runrig song: Cnoc na Feille
Favourite Album: Recovery
Favourite Gig: Barras 1989

Postby alick » Mon Feb 15, 2016 6:33 pm

Really enjoyed it, maybe the best show (IMO the one I've most enjoyed) since Bruce joined. It helped we had seats a few rows back on the aisle, so could see even if we were sitting. Great songs well played, the new album came to life, Bruce with ISOA (a song I've never been sure of before) was magical, DCA worked really well. Shame about the bass on Flower of the West, that grated and the band looked a bit put off by it but it's still classic Runrig. I didn't get any negative feeling from what Bruce said, but wasn't looking for it. Long may they play on.
0 x

Slimline62
Your favourite Runrig song: Clash the ash
Favourite Album: Mara
Favourite Gig: Party on the moor

Postby Slimline62 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 11:47 pm

I too was at the Usher Hall on Saturday night and enjoyed the music as usual. The only downside was the seating, we were up in the heavens on the left hand side and the viewing was limited ie , couldn't see the left hand side of the stage. Anyway, that's the moaning done with, back to the concert. I bought the first, according to the chap selling the merchandise, vinyl album and I thought that it would be rather unique opportunity to get it signed by the group , the" First of the Last" if you get what I mean. I tried before and after the concert but to no avail. I've just bought tickets for the Edinburgh Castle gig in July so hopefully I can get an opportunity there to get the album signed.
0 x

Gary_Cleghorn

Postby Gary_Cleghorn » Wed Feb 17, 2016 4:41 pm

I've said this a few times, owens comments are always around the death of the band and feeling that things aren't right. I think we need to remember these are the views of one person and I think it says it all when I read the Aberdeen review on here and thought "that sounds like an Owen review" to then read that was indeed the author. I am not making personal digs at Owen but less negativity would be appreciated if u can do that. This type of attitude is what would piss me off if I was in their shoes.
All that said and done Edinburgh was FANTASTIC and the fact Bruce said the only thing the band could agree on was that they loved performing on stage said a lot. I know they have to end one day but from the atmosphere on Saturday night I hope that isn't anytime soon!!!
2 x

Owen
Your favourite Runrig song: Somethings Got To Give
Favourite Album: Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Inverness 2012

Postby Owen » Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:05 pm

Lol, indeed they are the view of one person Gary, I perhaps should have said in my post that some may have felt different about the gig, what I saw was how I interpreted it to be, that of course is not to say that I am correct, its certainly not to say that I am wrong, its simply just an opinion and I certainly wasn't, or at least not intentionally, trying to steer the conversation into the 'death of the band', god forbid eh, so, my apologies if that's how it came across, it just doesn't take away from the fact though that in my opinion, I left that concert feeling as if something wasn't right, I've never said what, I've never said why, all I've said was I couldn't put my finger on it - perhaps as has been pointed out, my experience was shaped by the roudy passers by taking the micky that turned the night for me or perhaps it was just a mixture of alot of emotions, giving the significance and meaning of this album, I don't know, I don't have the answers but my opinion should certainly not sway you or anyone else from enjoying yourselves, I mean, it was still and will remain a great Runrig memory to me and despite all the issues was one of their best live performances. Most of you will know by now that I don't really do unconstructive criticism, I always have a reason I think what I think or believe what I believe and I hope if the guys do pop in here from time to time that they simply know that while yes it may be a criticism, mainly its simply an observation.

I am happy with the band explanation that they aren't calling it just yet, which is fantastic to hear from the horses mouths, I hope that we can at least get a 50th ;)
1 x

Bine
Your favourite Runrig song: Big Sky
Favourite Album: Mara
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness 2007

Postby Bine » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:18 am

Gary_Cleghorn wrote:I've said this a few times, owens comments are always around the death of the band and feeling that things aren't right. I think we need to remember these are the views of one person and I think it says it all when I read the Aberdeen review on here and thought "that sounds like an Owen review" to then read that was indeed the author. I am not making personal digs at Owen but less negativity would be appreciated if u can do that. This type of attitude is what would piss me off if I was in their shoes.

When I read Owen's review, it didn't appear 'negative' to me. If his feelings about the gig were kind of ambiguous, why shouldn't he be allowed to express this very personal view on here? This is what a review is about! :?
I've seen/heard Bruce's words in question on youtube, and they appear a bit strange to me, as well. So did the fact that Bruce was the only band member not present at the live-premiere of 'The Story' on German tv. And Germany is an important market for the band. After all, this was for direct album release promotion where you would definitely expect the frontman's presence. (Even though this special song does not necessarily require Bruce's voice)

Nevertheless, this will definitely not dampen my spirits: I'm absolutely enthusiastic about the album and look forward so much to my first live experience of 'The Story' on the Castle Esplanade in July :D
2 x

eilidh2002
Your favourite Runrig song: Going Home. From The North. Ocean Rd
Favourite Album: Cutter and the Clan
Favourite Gig: Skye 1990/Stirling Castle 2003/Barras 89-12

Postby eilidh2002 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:45 pm

I'm not sure which remarks you and Owen are referring to that Bruce allegedly said. If you mean what Bruce said at the recent Glasgow and Edinburgh concerts and probably others that the band had a big meeting and don't agree on anything and haven't a clue what they will do next. It's not exactly news that often they have meetings and don't agree. They have been articles in previous fan club newsletters from at least Calum and possibly Rory that tell about the disagreements about development of previous albums and their future plans at that time. I am also pretty sure that at the Glasgow concert Bruce said something like they had several meetings and the thing that was clear after 42 years was that they couldn't agree on anything then I think he said only kidding. If anyone has that bit recorded maybe they can do a transcript. As Bruce started off this bit at both concerts with the words Woo Hoo Runrig's last studio album I took his remarks as fairly light hearted banter and maybe this change is lightly scary for them but if there are other clips that counter that can someone please post a link to them.
Elaine
0 x

urbanite
Your favourite Runrig song: Proterra
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Usher Hall 2009 (my first 'live' experience)

Postby urbanite » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:55 pm

eilidh2002 wrote:...the thing that was clear after 42 years was that they couldn't agree on anything ... Woo Hoo Runrig's last studio album Elaine

I thought that left the door nicely unlocked on another studio album - I would have thought that a studio album would be less exhausting than touring (when they finally get into their dotage 30-40 years from now!)
0 x

rig

Postby rig » Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:00 am

As regards Bruce not being present at the promotion events in Germany, I had the good fortune to be at the Bochum event, and Bruce was present via Skype link for part of the time. He even played In Search of Angels live on Skype for us.

As he has often said at gigs, he does have a family back home, and a solo career in Nova Scotia, and does find the transatlantic travel exhausting. I was perfectly happy the way it was. The main interest was in the new songs and their background, which Calum and Rory were best placed to talk about, and the production by Brian. So no burning need for Bruce to be there.

I was also at the Edinburgh gig and loved it. Band on fire, audience fully engaged.
2 x

The colour frontier
The ageing light
The sight that knows no fear

Return to “Runrig”