Do you like 'The Story'?

Runrig discussion - This forum is for chatter on Runrig and their current affairs, albums and tours.
Kiki Angelrath
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003

Re: Do you like 'The Story'?

Postby Kiki Angelrath » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:26 am

Yes I did get dates mixed up. Thanks
0 x

Essan
Your favourite Runrig song: Cum Ur N'aire
Favourite Album: Once in a Lifetime
Favourite Gig: Brum Symphony Hall 29/3/14

Postby Essan » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:14 pm

Just listening to it on Spotify (waiting for limited edition box set to arrive in the post from Germany) , and if they play it from start to finish at Birmingham next month I wont be disappointed. A fine final album to be proud of.

Particularly like the way they mix English and Gaelic lyrics within the same songs (something I think they have only previously done on "Canada"?). And, as mentioned above, a spine tingling tribute to Laurel Clark (RIP) at the end.

Too early to say which are my favourites (but "The Story" is not the best song on the album by a long shot!) and looking forward to seeing the lyrics to get a better feel for the songs.
1 x

Steve
Your favourite Runrig song: The Old Boys
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness

Postby Steve » Sun Jan 31, 2016 6:57 pm

AS someone has said on Twitter , 'The Story' is a cultural masterpiece . Runrig has been part of my life for 16 years ( since a visit to Skye) , just to think if I had not put that Amazing Things cassette on at Torrin that rainy afternoon it would never have happened.

Steve
0 x

WeirdKerr

Postby WeirdKerr » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:23 pm

Yes.... I love it.... Full of echoes to past songs and albums big wheel gets a mention in 1 song and something bruce sings about something that was not his to lose... also loving the place where the rivers run..... and being awestruck by somewhere a great track to end on with the Laurel Clark story....
0 x

doublevc
Your favourite Runrig song: The Cutter/Leaving Strathconan/YOTF
Favourite Album: The Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003/Barras 2008 (Fri)

Postby doublevc » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:03 am

Had forgotten about the modern technology until the missus mentioned Spotify on Saturday so gave it a listen.

Not a criticism but an observation. When listening to Onar substitute the chorus from that of the The Cutter and see how well it fits
0 x
Can anyone explain?

andymorecambe
Your favourite Runrig song: oran ,eirrin,pride of summer,cutter....
Favourite Album: cutter and the clan
Favourite Gig: muir of ord

Postby andymorecambe » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:24 pm

my twopenneth for what its worth.on first hearing I thought it was a bit weak and not rocky enough for me and could do with more gaelic.buttt after a few listens I love it and it has songs on it that are up there with the runrig classics.
the story;a potential classic echoing runrigs early days and the spine of the bands musical heritage, in gaelic songs up there with oran,an dealachadh,faleas air an airidh 10/10
Onar;love the mix of gaelic and English and the sax mixes well especialy for a rock song 8/10
rise and fall;brilliant song full of meaning and emotion put together with expert wordmanship love it 10/10
elergy;very atmospheric maybe some bagpipes would of been nice 7/10
every beating heart;lovely poetic song showing great songwritting 7/10
the years we shared;echos of past songs brilliant melody and looking forward to hearing this live 8/10
when the beauty;great showcase for brilliant guitar work love the gaelic ending 9/10
18th july;not overly keen on this one but might grow on me 5/10
an diugh ghabh mi cuairt;lovely song very atmospheric 8/10
the place where the rivers run;love this song and for me it encapsulates the best of runrig,good footapping hand clapping rousing stuff ,cant wait to hear this live after a few pints and spin the wheelchair lol 10/10
somewhere;not overly keen I like my runrig rockier but lovely reason for the song 6/10

this album shows that runrig are far from over and im looking forward to the new tour with renewed vigour and excitement
moran taing run-rig
0 x

Bine
Your favourite Runrig song: Big Sky
Favourite Album: Mara
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness 2007

Postby Bine » Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:27 pm

I've just found out on youtube that Runrig were on German TV on January 28th (Morgenmagazin) - which I had totally missed, although I had two days off in order to reduce my overtime.
Interviews with Rory and Calum plus a live version of The Story performed by all band members (minus Bruce :?)
Worth watching it, although the interview part will be hard to understand for non-Germans because of the very loud translator.
Absolutely great clip and great performance from Rory - but also from the 'rest' of the band.
I'm looking forward to the live concerts :D :love: :music:
0 x

Zephyr
Your favourite Runrig song: This Darkest Winter
Favourite Album: The Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Barrowlands2010

Postby Zephyr » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:29 am

Adam wrote:
I do echo the point about the saxophone: as I recall, they have only used a sax once before - on Cadal Chadian Mi - not everyone was at all convinced about it then.

They also used a saxophone on The Dancing Floor on the Mara album, though they weren't unanimously in favor of it. I like it though.

Boo hoo, not got my copy of The Story yet. :( :( It's supposedly on the way from the Shop.
0 x
Seinn, seinn, seinn, Òran ur, òran an uir

broadstone
Favourite Album: Proterra
Favourite Gig: Portree Marquee 2001

Postby broadstone » Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:15 pm

Adam wrote: I'd also probably not have chosen to rhyme 'lightning' with 'frightening', which just sounds a little easy for such wordsmiths, but again, if that's how pedantic I have to get to think of an improvement, that just shows how high quality this album is.

Adam, that rhyme has already been done! Do you remember (if you're old enough!) "Those kids were fast as lightning. In fact it was a little bit frightening" - from "Kung Foo Fighting" by Carl Douglas 1974
0 x

Ramrig
Your favourite Runrig song: The Cutter
Favourite Album: Cutter And the Clan
Favourite Gig: Party on the Moor 2013

Postby Ramrig » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:50 pm

Having now listened to this album over a dozen times, (3 times back to back on Saturday evening travelling back from Bristol) I personally think that it is the best studio album since "The Cutter and the Clan". I have followed the band since my first concert back in 1988. It's the first album since TCATC that I thought "WOW" after the first hearing. It normally takes 5 or 6 plays of a new album before it hits the right chord. "The Story" is an emotional roller coaster from start to finish. Onar & Every Beating Heart are my personal favorites with The Place where the rivers run set to be the new "Clash of the Ash" when played live. Can not wait until next Tuesday (16th) to see them perform the new material live in Nottingham...................... followed by a long wait until July at "The Castle"

Bring it on!
0 x
With the tears of the emigrant, tongue of the Gael.

doublevc
Your favourite Runrig song: The Cutter/Leaving Strathconan/YOTF
Favourite Album: The Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003/Barras 2008 (Fri)

Postby doublevc » Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:12 am

broadstone wrote:
Adam wrote: I'd also probably not have chosen to rhyme 'lightning' with 'frightening', which just sounds a little easy for such wordsmiths, but again, if that's how pedantic I have to get to think of an improvement, that just shows how high quality this album is.

Adam, that rhyme has already been done! Do you remember (if you're old enough!) "Those kids were fast as lightning. In fact it was a little bit frightening" - from "Kung Foo Fighting" by Carl Douglas 1974

'Thunderbolts and lightning, very, very frightening' - didn't do Freddie and the boys any harm
0 x
Can anyone explain?

urbanite
Your favourite Runrig song: Proterra
Favourite Gig: Usher Hall 2009 (my first 'live' experience)

Postby urbanite » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:36 pm

I worked very hard to save listening to The Story until this weekend when I had a long journey planned and I'm not sorry that I waited - it made 4 hours of driving just fly by! I love the album - yes, l would have liked a return to something more tribal but I really like the mix of reflections across all the songs.
Is it my imagination or is there a next-generation Macdonald offering uncredited vocals on a couple of tracks?
0 x

DaveyTee
Your favourite Runrig song: Loch Lomond, This Darkest Winter, Skye.
Favourite Gig: Wolverhampton '93

Postby DaveyTee » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:15 pm

Well, the album dropped through my letterbox this morning and I've now had the chance to listen to it in its entirety, but only once. Initial reaction is that it's a decent enough album, but certainly not a great one. However, this is not necessarily a Bad Thing - in the past I've often found that an album that doesn't particularly impress on first hearing can grow with repeated hearings into something rather special (the converse can also be true). So I'll be giving it a few more spins during the next couple of days to see what happens.

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

Bine

Postby Bine » Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:39 pm

Glad to hear you finally decided to buy 'The Story', DT ;)
Good to hear that you consider it to be a 'decent enough' album. That's not bad, at least. :)
Would be delighted to read that it grew to something special for you - as it did for me. Although, somehow I have a feeling that it is not so easy to enthuse you. 8-)
0 x

DaveyTee
Your favourite Runrig song: Loch Lomond, This Darkest Winter, Skye.
Favourite Gig: Wolverhampton '93

Postby DaveyTee » Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:25 pm

Bine wrote:Although, somehow I have a feeling that it is not so easy to enthuse you. 8-)

I worry about that myself, Bine. :(

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

urbanite
Your favourite Runrig song: Proterra
Favourite Gig: Usher Hall 2009 (my first 'live' experience)

Postby urbanite » Sat Feb 20, 2016 1:47 pm

DaveyTee wrote: So I'll be giving it a few more spins during the next couple of days to see what happens. DT

I think it got me on the fourth or fifth play - although I find the words of Laurel Clark a bit mawkish (I'm ready to be shot down for daring to say that!). I was disappointed that the band didn't play "Somewhere" at Nottingham - they played "when the beauty" which had a strange audience reaction as people tried to clap along with the chorus, which didn't really work. How has it gone down at the other gigs?
0 x

davidwalters
Your favourite Runrig song: song of the earth
Favourite Album: searchlight

Postby davidwalters » Mon Feb 22, 2016 7:42 pm

Not sure if I like it. I like some of it for sure, but I don't get why Bruce isn't singing nearly all/all the songs. He has much the better voice. Very odd decision. Also, I would prefer a few more upbeat songs. And as I, and another, said on our Amazon reviews, the sound quality is really awful, compared to most of their albums. In fact compared to any other stuff I have, all played through a good system. Mushy sound. I've actually returned it and may try again when it's cheaper, but not great to listen to due to the quality. Sadly. Has no-one else noticed this, or do we all love Runrig so much that you won't say so?!!
0 x

Conor2
Your favourite Runrig song: Proterra.
Favourite Album: all of them
Favourite Gig: SCONE PALACE. 2009.

Postby Conor2 » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:17 am

I love the album , but if i had to complain about one thing , it would be ,I wish they had let Malky rip out a solo , more than what he did on EYS with IN Scandinavia ,,,
0 x
I am going away, in the hour of my days
The warm knowing place still hold you
Though we wander and roam
We will cherish our own
On that long road home, I’ll be waiting..

RUNRIG .

herzchen
Favourite Gig: LochNess+Leipzig07, Edinb.08, Oberhausen10, POTM

Postby herzchen » Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:25 pm

davidwalters wrote:Not sure if I like it. I like some of it for sure, but I don't get why Bruce isn't singing nearly all/all the songs. He has much the better voice. Very odd decision. Also, I would prefer a few more upbeat songs. And as I, and another, said on our Amazon reviews, the sound quality is really awful, compared to most of their albums. In fact compared to any other stuff I have, all played through a good system. Mushy sound. I've actually returned it and may try again when it's cheaper, but not great to listen to due to the quality. Sadly. Has no-one else noticed this, or do we all love Runrig so much that you won't say so?!!

Thank you for giving your views David. Sorry to hear that the album doesn't quite meet your expectations, but tastes differ and are difficult to argue about ;) . Judging by all opinions I have read so far I would say the vast majority is impressed by The Story. Maybe the album would have grown on you had you given it the chance to. To be honest I find it a bit odd that a fan (I suppose you consider yourself one as you mentioned "we all love Runrig so much") would return a CD :shock: Wouldn't a fan collect all the albums of his favourite band despite the fact that some are not quite to his taste? There are albums that are love at second or third sight (listening) and need a while to grow on you for whatever reasons. In giving up and returning the album you are missing this opportunity, which I find a bit sad. (And how "cheap" does it have to get until you will buy it again? :zipit: ;) )
0 x

Bine

Postby Bine » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:23 pm

I'm completely with you, Herzchen.

@ davidwalters:
Don't worry, people on here tend to express their opinions clearly, no matter if positive or not.
So they will definitely dare to say, if they don't like an album.
Quality of an album, even sound quality is a matter of taste. Sorry that 'The Story' couldn't find yor approval.
0 x

Return to “Runrig”