Do you like 'The Story'?

Runrig discussion - This forum is for chatter on Runrig and their current affairs, albums and tours.
Bine
Your favourite Runrig song: Big Sky
Favourite Album: Mara
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness 2007

Do you like 'The Story'?

Postby Bine » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:56 am

I had pre-ordered the limited edition box at Amazon, and very early this morning, I've received an e-mail from Amazon saying that 'The Story' is now ready for me to download. Which I immediately did, because the 'physical' edition had not arrived yet.
I had just very briefly listened into the pre-release of these songs, because I had no intention to 'spoil my appetite'. And so I had the chance to perfectly enjoy the listening experience this morning.

What an amazing album !!!!!!
Rory and Calum:
This really tops your many years of songwriting. Phantastic work ! :music:
Brian:
Apologies that I've always underestimated your skills. I can't think of a better way of producing a Runrig album. :rose:
Bruce:
Great performance. So much feeling comes across. :kiss:
Malcolm and Iain:
I love, love, love these guitars and these drums :love:

Thank you so much, Runrig. This album is a gift.
1 x

Potter72
Your favourite Runrig song: Clash Of The Ash
Favourite Album: Party On The Moor
Favourite Gig: Drumnadrochit

Re: Do you like 'The Story'?

Postby Potter72 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:20 am

Arrived through letterbox half an hour ago and straight onto CD player. Excellant. I think it will be played a few times today. Role of Birmingham Symphony Hall next month to hear it live.
0 x

herzchen
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: LochNess+Leipzig07, Edinb.08, Oberhausen10, POTM

Postby herzchen » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:20 am

Bine wrote:
What an amazing album !!!!!!
Rory and Calum:
This really tops your many years of songwriting. Phantastic work ! :music:
Brian:
Apologies that I've always underestimated your skills. I can't think of a better way of producing a Runrig album. :rose:
Bruce:
Great performance. So much feeling comes across. :kiss:
Malcolm and Iain:
I love, love, love these guitars and these drums :love:

Thank you so much, Runrig. This album is a gift.

SIGNED ! :love:
0 x

fannwenner
Your favourite Runrig song: Flower of the west, Dance called America
Favourite Album: The big wheel
Favourite Gig: Melody, Stockholm, 1991

Postby fannwenner » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:44 am

I have listened to it a few times on Spotify, since my box is "preparing to dispatch" from Germany and then won´t be here until late next week at the earliest, and this far I love it. A really strong set of songs, varied musically to touch on almost all phases of earlier Runrig while still adding something new as well, as always very strong melodies. I Think it has potential to become one of my very favourite Runrig albums ever though it might be too early to say that on the first day. Excellent job, band, thank you very much!
0 x

doublevc
Your favourite Runrig song: The Cutter/Leaving Strathconan/YOTF
Favourite Album: The Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003/Barras 2008 (Fri)

Postby doublevc » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:06 pm

Nae planes, nae boats, nae Story :x :x :x
0 x
Can anyone explain?

gallus79

Postby gallus79 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:32 pm

If you ordered on Amazon you should be able to download a free digital copy, until your cd arrives.
0 x

doublevc
Your favourite Runrig song: The Cutter/Leaving Strathconan/YOTF
Favourite Album: The Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003/Barras 2008 (Fri)

Postby doublevc » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:59 pm

gallus79 wrote:If you ordered on Amazon you should be able to download a free digital copy, until your cd arrives.

Ordered direct from shop so it's not an option. Will just have to wait until Saturday/Monday/Tuesday - delete as applicable given weather forecast
0 x
Can anyone explain?

David
Your favourite Runrig song: Going Home/Hearts of Olden Glory
Favourite Album: Pro Terra or Cutter
Favourite Gig: My first at Barrowlands

Postby David » Fri Jan 29, 2016 1:43 pm

If The Story is REALLY to be the last studio album (surely not, please!!!!!) what a magnificent finale to the legacy of a band who so encapsulated and reflected the beauty, tragedy and culture of their native land. And this from a Yorkshireman!!!!!!
I can't wait now to see them perform in Portsmouth.
Thank you all for the music and the memories - they will survive.
David.
1 x

Kiki Angelrath
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003

Postby Kiki Angelrath » Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:26 pm

To make sure I ordered one CD from Amazon and one from Runrig. Both arrived today Friday. I love it - as I think all Runrig fans will - but don't know how it will appeal to a wider audience. The booklet with the lyrics and background to the songs is great. The group photo in the centre of the band has just caught the moment and you can see the character behind the faces. To repeat - I love it.
0 x

UrsaMajor
Your favourite Runrig song: The one I am listening to at the moment
Favourite Album: Everything You See

Postby UrsaMajor » Fri Jan 29, 2016 4:20 pm

CD arrived safely this morning. I like the booklet, its great to know the inspiration or the story (sorry) behind each song.
Somehow the whole album seems to me to sound both familiar and fresh simultaneously. A typical melange of lyrics that hit you in the heart, some achingly beautifully simple arrangements and some more elaborate treatments,with soaring strings and moments where I can imagine Malcolm treating us to one of his stunning solos.

Just one complaint: Onar. I love the song but for the last ten years I've had a saxophone gathering dust (although it was never as good as a vacuum cleaner at it). As i can no longer play (long story) I disposed of it, safe in the knowledge that Runrig were a sax-free zone and there was no point lugging it to a gig on the off chance that my daydream of Rory announcing that the saxophonist was indisposed and was there by any chance a sax player in the audience? Be honest is there a musician amongst you who hasn't had that day dream? Oh, just me then.
0 x

Adam
Engine Room
Your favourite Runrig song: Flower of the West, The Engine Room
Favourite Album: The Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Borlum 2007

Postby Adam » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:10 pm

Listened to most of it today via Spotify and iTunes and, so far, it's clear to me that they have nailed the finale album pretty much perfectly. I didn't even know what I wanted from it before I started listening to it: a return to their roots? Well, that was kind of what TSG did. An edgy concept album? Well, that was Proterra. So I settled for somewhere down the middle, that somehow managed to blend modernity with tradition. This does the business, and knowing it's the last album charges everything with an extra layer of emotion. It's going to get a lot of listens.

I do echo the point about the saxophone: as I recall, they have only used a sax once before - on Cadal Chadian Mi - not everyone was at all convinced about it then. So I was more surprised than anything, not least because I'd always opt for Malcolm Jones guitar/pipe/accordion option there, but I will get used to it. I'd also probably not have chosen to rhyme 'lightning' with 'frightening', which just sounds a little easy for such wordsmiths, but again, if that's how pedantic I have to get to think of an improvement, that just shows how high quality this album is.

Very, very happy about the album, and bittersweet about what it represents. Perfect.
0 x
"There is the purely objective and the purely subjective. The purely objective is photographic. The purely subjective is incommunicable."
-Neil Gunn, Highland River

Outdoor Runrig gigs: if it's not raining, I'm not going!

jeff
Favourite Album: the one i'm playing
Favourite Gig: Bristol,Mara tour 1995

Postby jeff » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:19 pm

Glorious !!!
0 x

LMGirl
Your favourite Runrig song: Abhainn An T-Sluaigh
Favourite Album: Heartland
Favourite Gig: Stirling 2003, Barrowlands 2012

Postby LMGirl » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:56 pm

Downloaded from itunes this morning as I just couldn't wait for the CD to cross the Atlantic ($10 well invested :)). Absolutely love it! Was only able to listen once so far and Onar was a standout for me, but may revise that after further consideration :).
0 x

solman
Your favourite Runrig song: all of them
Favourite Album: The Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Edinburgh Castle 2013

Postby solman » Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:58 pm

Listened to it twice today no comment so far let it grow on me with each listen
0 x

urbanite
Your favourite Runrig song: Proterra
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Usher Hall 2009 (my first 'live' experience)

Postby urbanite » Fri Jan 29, 2016 7:10 pm

Really pleased that some people have this already. :music:
I pre-ordered from Runrig shop on the promise that it would be despatched ahead of the release date. An email this afternoon tells me that it has now been despatched so it will probably be the middle of next week before I can share the joy - on the basis that it's unlikely to be delivered before Monday, I'll be at work so it will be taken back to the sorting office and I will have to wait until the SO's late night opening to be able to collect it. :oops: :cry: :cry:
0 x

Kiki Angelrath

Postby Kiki Angelrath » Fri Jan 29, 2016 8:19 pm

Sorry "urbanite" that you haven't got your copy yet. That's why I ordered from Amazon and from Runrig - in the hope that one copy arrived today Friday - in fact both did. Anyway I wanted one copy for my car - Landcover Defender (last one off the production line today!) and one for indoors - but hubby didn't go to the pub at lunchtime today as usual so had to endure Runrig at full blast - hope he goes to pub tomorrow - if not will have to endure more of the same ! As others have said it's "bittersweet". Love it.
0 x

eilidh2002
Your favourite Runrig song: Going Home. From The North. Ocean Rd
Favourite Album: Cutter and the Clan
Favourite Gig: Skye 1990/Stirling Castle 2003/Barras 89-12

Postby eilidh2002 » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:47 pm

Have only listened to it 1.5 times and for the most part love it. I think one or two songs will take a while to grow on me. It's quite different a wee bit more bluesy/country then previous albums. The booklet is very interesting and sets the scene very well
0 x

Kiki Angelrath

Postby Kiki Angelrath » Sat Jan 30, 2016 2:13 pm

Anyone else noticed that re "Somewhere" and the words in the book from NASA astronaut Commander Laurel Clark that Monday February 1st 2016 will be the 30th anniversary of the loss of the Colombia Space Mission craft on re-entry.
0 x

Owen
Your favourite Runrig song: Somethings Got To Give
Favourite Album: Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Inverness 2012

Postby Owen » Sat Jan 30, 2016 8:16 pm

Kiki Angelrath wrote:Anyone else noticed that re "Somewhere" and the words in the book from NASA astronaut Commander Laurel Clark that Monday February 1st 2016 will be the 30th anniversary of the loss of the Colombia Space Mission craft on re-entry.

Don't think that its as far back as that, nevertheless a very nice tribute.
0 x

eilidh2002
Your favourite Runrig song: Going Home. From The North. Ocean Rd
Favourite Album: Cutter and the Clan
Favourite Gig: Skye 1990/Stirling Castle 2003/Barras 89-12

Postby eilidh2002 » Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:06 pm

I think you have got your shuttles mixed up. The shuttle that Laurel was on Columbia was destroyed on 1st Feb 2003 sadly I remember it all to well. The first space shuttle to be lost Challenger was lost on 28th Jan 1986 just over 30 years ago. Both of these incidents had a great effect on me as I have always had a great interest in the space programme. It was great to hear the guys remember Laurel in the song Somewhere. It is a lovely and poignant song
0 x

Return to “Runrig”