Do you like 'The Story'?

Runrig discussion - This forum is for chatter on Runrig and their current affairs, albums and tours.
davidwalters
Your favourite Runrig song: song of the earth
Favourite Album: searchlight

Re: Do you like 'The Story'?

Postby davidwalters » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:12 pm

Actually folks, I've played it 6 times, more than enough to say that I DO like it! I have returned it because the sound quality is not good. I have about 1500 cds so I know what good sound production is like, actually, thank you, and this does sound 'mushy'. I mentioned that another guy on Amazon also said this, so I have returned it stating why I have returned it - sound quality. There is a chance that it is a faulty pressing. I hope so, so like I said, I will wait till it falls in line with the price of most CDs these days ie. around £9 -£10 rather than the £13 I paid, hoping that by then, IF it was a faulty pressing, that it will be corrected by then.
I am disappointed, as all my other Runrig cds,(yes, I'm a fan) especially once they got decent label backing ie Searchlight onwards, SOUND SO good, crisp and clear. This doesn't, and I don't get why...like I said, hopefully it's a pressing thing.
My other comment is it's odd Bruce is not the lead singer almost 100%, as that is his job in the band. A great singer, and the best in the band by long way. Isn't he? And yes...what a great guitarist they have, but not in evidence enough for my 'taste'. THAT is a personal opinion!!
0 x

Bine
Your favourite Runrig song: Big Sky
Favourite Album: Mara
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness 2007

Postby Bine » Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:56 am

davidwalters wrote:THAT is a personal opinion!!

.... And no one blames you for expressing it on here.
But people do not necessarily have to share your opinion.
I don't. Plus, I'm not sure, if the possession of 1500 CDs automatically makes someone a music expert.
1 x

herzchen
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: LochNess+Leipzig07, Edinb.08, Oberhausen10, POTM

Postby herzchen » Wed Feb 24, 2016 7:19 am

@ David,
maybe it was indeed a faulty pressing, that's difficult to judge. Because my impression of the sound on The Story is that it is crystal clear, a lot better than on EYS e.g..
Regarding Bruce, okay, I wouldn't have mind one or two more sung by him ;) , but Rory does a great job on the ones he sings :love: . I had the chance to see the CD presentation/talk session in Bochum on 27 Jan, and someone asked the band how they decide who sings which song on an album. The answer was that often they decide it during the recording process only - they may have an idea beforehand, but this may change in the process. My interpretation of this answer is that the one who sings, whoever it is, has to feel comfortable with the song he sings in order to sing it in a convincing way.
0 x

DaveyTee
Your favourite Runrig song: Loch Lomond, This Darkest Winter, Skye.
Favourite Album: Once in a Lifetime
Favourite Gig: Wolverhampton '93

Postby DaveyTee » Wed Feb 24, 2016 8:53 am

Bine, David doesn't say he's a "music expert" - he merely says that his considerable experience with CDs enables his to judge the quality of "sound production". He also mentions that he has a pretty good sound system whileas, of course, most of us these days listen to music in a compressed format through our tablets and phones. Gone are the days of the 70s and 80s when we all used to buy "What Hi-Fi" rather than "What Gadget".

I shall listen to the album again on headphones (yes, compressed mp3 format) when walking the dog in this morning's bright sunshine. It is growing on me to some extent and while I don't agree with David that there's not enough Bruce (I think Rory does a pretty good job) I do entirely agree with both him and Conor that there's not nearly enough evidence of Malcolm's guitar. For me, Malcolm epitomises the Runrig sound and an album that consigns him to the background, as this one appears to do, inevitably starts off with a great disadvantage.

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

Owen
Your favourite Runrig song: Somethings Got To Give
Favourite Album: Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Inverness 2012

Postby Owen » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:14 am

davidwalters wrote:Actually folks, I've played it 6 times, more than enough to say that I DO like it! I have returned it because the sound quality is not good. I have about 1500 cds so I know what good sound production is like, actually, thank you, and this does sound 'mushy'. I mentioned that another guy on Amazon also said this, so I have returned it stating why I have returned it - sound quality. There is a chance that it is a faulty pressing. I hope so, so like I said, I will wait till it falls in line with the price of most CDs these days ie. around £9 -£10 rather than the £13 I paid, hoping that by then, IF it was a faulty pressing, that it will be corrected by then.
I am disappointed, as all my other Runrig cds,(yes, I'm a fan) especially once they got decent label backing ie Searchlight onwards, SOUND SO good, crisp and clear. This doesn't, and I don't get why...like I said, hopefully it's a pressing thing.
My other comment is it's odd Bruce is not the lead singer almost 100%, as that is his job in the band. A great singer, and the best in the band by long way. Isn't he? And yes...what a great guitarist they have, but not in evidence enough for my 'taste'. THAT is a personal opinion!!

The band havent been under a major label since In Search Of Angels, i find the in search of angels album to surpass even some of the sound on the major recordings.

I guess, being a musician and having attended college etc to be so, i could claim to have a trained ear when it comes to listening to recordings, it was a huge part of what i did at college and therefore feel i could offer at least a decent analysis of the recording.

The sound on the album comes across to me to be very well put together, the EQ seems to sit well in the mix, apart from maybe a couple places where they could have knocked a wee bit of the tiny edge off. The sound is very subjective and i feel that this recording is mixed much better than EYS where it seems to destort a little because theyve had the master set too high during what we call the mix dowm.

It may well be that youve purchased a faulty one, it certainly doesnt sound mushy to me, what i dont understand though is why you didnt just get it replaced when you have things like spotify or Itunes to reference the sound quality.
0 x

davidwalters

Postby davidwalters » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:38 pm

Very interesting replies from everyone - thank you! Quite right- having loads of CDs is helpful for me to judge sound quality only, which has nothing to do with the actual songs, which I enjoyed. Like I said, I may well get another copy but will wait to give any 'bad' copies a chance to clear! I hadn't thought of checking a downloaded version, so I will do that next. Spotify, I am sure, is great, but I am a bit traditional and indeed listen from CD on a good HIFI. Compression is the enemy of good sonics these days, which is such a shame. The new Iron Maiden CD sounds very dull sonically compared to most of their stuff, and many reviewers have said so. Very odd, and SUCH a shame. There's no excuse.
Re. major label for the band - that can help production but I guess later albums without big backing still sound good because of the experience they have had over the years. In other words, they knew what they were doing by then! Bruce? I still say, as he has no/limited instrumental input, his voice should be used to the max, like Donnie's was. And yes - more guitar please!
Looking forward to seeing them in Cambridge on Saturday.
0 x

davidwalters

Postby davidwalters » Wed Feb 24, 2016 9:18 pm

English and British....and United Kingdom-ish.......confusing eh?!
0 x

DaveyTee

Postby DaveyTee » Thu Feb 25, 2016 12:35 am

I should maybe add European to mine!

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

Florabunda42
Your favourite Runrig song: siol ghoraidh
Favourite Album: The last one!
Favourite Gig: 1988 Birmingham -1st sight!

Postby Florabunda42 » Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:42 pm

I'm probably going to be burned as a heretic but the jury is out. I have loved every previous album and have needed to play them continuously to 'absorb' them - not so to this. Maybe it's the inherent sense of loss it communicates, but both my husband & I sensed a sense of 'ending of life' and 'the last long goodbye' ; so much so, that my husband said, "I hope the guys are well/OK?" We hope so. Poignant, bittersweet, we love but this was darker.
0 x

davidwalters

Postby davidwalters » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:45 am

Well, I tend to go along with that certain 'dour' feeling; not enough upbeat stuff....BUT hearing several 'live' at Cambridge last Saturday, they sounded great. In fact possibly my favourite of the night was Rise and Fall. Wonderful!
0 x

DaveyTee

Postby DaveyTee » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:50 am

Well, that's a couple of months passed since "The Story" was released. Is anyone still playing it? Or is it now confined to the CD cabinet and largely forgotten?

DT

P.S. It's Spring Bank Holiday weekend and we've got four inches of snow......
0 x
Scottish, not British.

gillyp
Your favourite Runrig song: Every River, Proterra, today!
Favourite Album: 50 songs
Favourite Gig: Inverness

Postby gillyp » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:22 pm

Still playing it, still hearing more in each track, still loving the whole album.
0 x

Bine

Postby Bine » Mon May 02, 2016 3:53 am

gillyp wrote:Still playing it, still hearing more in each track, still loving the whole album.

Same here.
Definitely not forgotten.
Although, I must admit that the CD itself really has its place in the cabinet now.
But the album is always with me on my mobile.
Still listening to it all the time :love:
0 x

DaveyTee

Postby DaveyTee » Wed May 04, 2016 8:32 am

Oh well, that's two people still playing it.....

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

solman
Your favourite Runrig song: all of them
Favourite Album: The Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Edinburgh Castle 2013

Postby solman » Wed May 04, 2016 1:13 pm

Played selected tracks last night and the 18th of July twice
0 x

Bine

Postby Bine » Wed May 04, 2016 5:22 pm

Adding Solman, I count three (on here :( )
Might be that all the others are facebook or twitter users...
Suppose, you're not playing it anymore, DT?
What a pity.
0 x

DaveyTee

Postby DaveyTee » Wed May 04, 2016 7:35 pm

To be frank, Bine, no, not much. On the other hand, I have dug out The Cutter and the Clan and Searchlight, both of which I like a lot and are getting quite a lot of play. And I gave Amazing Things a spin and enjoyed it very much. However, dominating my mp3 player at the moment is Ballast der Republik by the excellent Toten Hosen.

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

LMGirl
Your favourite Runrig song: Abhainn An T-Sluaigh
Favourite Album: Heartland
Favourite Gig: Stirling 2003, Barrowlands 2012

Postby LMGirl » Thu May 05, 2016 1:21 am

I've loved the album from Day 1 and still do :). After hearing the songs live, Rise and Fall has become one of my all-time favorites.
0 x

Bine

Postby Bine » Thu May 05, 2016 7:33 am

DaveyTee wrote: However, dominating my mp3 player at the moment is Ballast der Republik by the excellent Toten Hosen.
DT

Good choice! :music:
0 x

DaveyTee

Postby DaveyTee » Tue May 10, 2016 1:41 pm

So that's three people still playing it a lot and one playing selected tracks every now and again. Not a great endorsement......

But as you say, Bine, most fans are probably on Facebook or Twitter. Crunchie, as a matter of interest, do you have any record as to the number of people who visit this site daily or weekly?

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

Return to “Runrig”