The story video

Runrig discussion - This forum is for chatter on Runrig and their current affairs, albums and tours.
Crunchie
Forum Admin

The story video

Postby Crunchie » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:17 am

I vaguely remember it being mentioned that this would be uploaded today at 9am. Does anyone have a link for it at all? I've checked the official website and official Youtube channel but it doesn't appear to be there, have I got the date wrong again?
0 x

colyates
Your favourite Runrig song: stepping down the glory road
Favourite Album: the cutter and the c
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003

Re: The story video

Postby colyates » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:44 am

1 x

Crunchie
Forum Admin

Postby Crunchie » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:46 am

Cheers colyates!
0 x

urbanite
Your favourite Runrig song: Proterra
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Usher Hall 2009 (my first 'live' experience)

Postby urbanite » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:12 am

Love the song. Love 6mins 15 seconds of the video - just going to have nightmares of that weird David Cameron look-alike in the car mirror.
0 x

Steve
Your favourite Runrig song: The Old Boys
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness

Postby Steve » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:27 am

But what has he to do with the theme of the video ?
0 x

MattDLH
Your favourite Runrig song: Running to the Light
Favourite Album: Proterra
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness 2007

Postby MattDLH » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:35 am

I didn't get the bit about the business man in the posh car either!
1 x

puffin
Engine Room

Postby puffin » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:36 am

MattDLH wrote:I didn't get the bit about the business man in the posh car either!

Nor me :? - I was going to watch it again in a day or so and see if it makes more sense to my befuddled brain! I 'get' the man pawning his love's locket then remembering, regretting, and redeeming it, but it's a younger man in the posh car "today" and not (presumably) him when he was more successful. His son who has his own life and cares nothing for his father's memories or the fact that he needs to pawn sentimental jewellery in order to raise a few pounds, perhaps? A representative of all the superficial, successful people with "I Love the Hebrides" car stickers who don't really understand what life was like there a generation ago? Nope, too subtle for me!
Can anyone explain? :music:
0 x
And I dream of a day when our superficial gaze
is replaced with something more real
And the lines on the face are a thing to celebrate
for the tales that they tell

[FolkLaw c.Nick Gibbs 'The Tales That They Tell']

eilidh2002
Your favourite Runrig song: Going Home. From The North. Ocean Rd
Favourite Album: Cutter and the Clan
Favourite Gig: Skye 1990/Stirling Castle 2003/Barras 89-12

Postby eilidh2002 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:28 pm

I presumed the pictures of the younger man were the older man thinking back to his younger self and his life in the Hebrides. The car the business man gets in to has an I Love Hebrides sticker on it and I presumed that part implied that he may be a posh successful business man but his heart is still in the Hebrides essentially that he has left the islands but they have not left him. Those of us who know Glasgow will then recognise that the car turns North in Glasgow City Centre. If that was deliberate I think it implies the call of home (previous life experience in the Hebrides) However how you interpret songs or videos is often personal to your culture and your life in general.

Elaine
0 x

Bine
Your favourite Runrig song: Big Sky
Favourite Album: Mara

Postby Bine » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:41 pm

puffin wrote:A representative of all the superficial, successful people with "I Love the Hebrides" car stickers who don't really understand what life was like there a generation ago? Nope, too subtle for me!
Can anyone explain? :music:

I'm afraid, I cannot explain either. :?
However, my first thought regading the guy with the Hebridies sticker was: Real love and memories are inside.
And unfortunately, there are people who want to appear like what they think is fashionable or expected of them - which doesn't necessarily have something to do with their real feelings.
Or even worse: They intentionally pretend their love in order to reach their business or political goals.

But as you say, Elaine: Interpretation is closely related to one's personal experience and life.
0 x

MattDLH
Your favourite Runrig song: Running to the Light
Favourite Album: Proterra

Postby MattDLH » Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:35 pm

Think I've got it! The man in the Mercedes is a second home owner who has a house in the Hebs. The old guy remembers his youth in the Hebs but presumably had to leave to find work in the city. The Hebs is not a home to the rich guy but a place he goes to for fun. The injustice of second home owners driving up the prices?
1 x

rooster007
Your favourite Runrig song: The Ocean Road (Live), Alba (Live/New)
Favourite Gig: BTD/IronWorks '07/POTM

Postby rooster007 » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:17 pm

What I took from it is that it's the man's son who has to work in the city for his job but never forgot his roots in the Hebrides and commutes home at the weekend (or something to that effect). Perhaps the older man has now passed away but he told his "Story" to his son to remind him of where he came from and it still resonates deep within him.

I suppose it would help if I spoke Gaelic so I could fully understand the song, but with the song called "The Story" I assumed that that's what they were going for
1 x
Rooster

Bine
Your favourite Runrig song: Big Sky
Favourite Album: Mara

Postby Bine » Sun Nov 15, 2015 11:17 am

I love the old man's face.
0 x

skyeman121
Global Moderator
Your favourite Runrig song: Abhainn An T-Sluaigh
Favourite Album: All of them !!
Favourite Gig: The next one !!

Postby skyeman121 » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:10 pm

Great track and I like the use of a couple of the MacDonald clan in the video :-)
1 x
There must be a place under the sun
Where hearts of olden glory grow young

UrsaMajor
Your favourite Runrig song: The one I am listening to at the moment
Favourite Album: Everything You See
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003

Postby UrsaMajor » Sun Dec 20, 2015 8:42 am

I love the song and have listened to it at least once every day since I got it! (Obsessive? Moi? I blame the medication.)
I have two theories about the video.
#1 It is the story of an elderly man, fallen on hard times since the death of his wife and subsequent estrangement from his Glasgow-based, businessman son. In his desperation for cash he pawns his last memento of his wife, the heart shaped locked she wore the first time they met at a dance. The memories flood back and he realizes he can't bear to lose the locket, retrieves it and as, in his head, the music plays and he dances....
or
#2 (Imagine that line read by the detective David Tennant plays in Broadchurch.) it is the story of a murderer, driven insane by his guilt. Back in the day, he met a young girl at a local dance, but things went badly and he murdered her. In his desperation for cash he pawns the locket he stole from her. He panics and rushed back to reclaim it. He dances as he celebrates his freedom, unaware of the call made by the pawnbroker to the Cold Case Unit. The delighted detective, based in Glasgow but with Hebridean heritage, sets out to interview the pawnbroker. The net is closing on the man dubbed by the press as the 'Ceilidh Killer'...

I think I have watched too many TV detective shows!
0 x

run132
Engine Room
Your favourite Runrig song: Impossible to say!
Favourite Album: Em, all of them!
Favourite Gig: Too many to list!

Postby run132 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:18 pm

The new Wire should help clear up any confusion! Calum has written an article about the making of the video.
0 x

lakeguard
Favourite Gig: none

Postby lakeguard » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:05 pm

OK, for those of us who don't subscribe to "The Wire", can't see ourselves doing so, live in the US and aren't that familiar with Runrig, could someone please fill us in? :) Who IS the guy we see in the rear-view mirror of the BMW, who rolls up the window and drives away, and what does this mean? Thanks for any charitable help you can offer to us who are in the dark (trying to run to 'the light') :) :?: :?: :?: :?:
0 x

Return to “Runrig”