Runrig's Future

Runrig discussion - This forum is for chatter on Runrig and their current affairs, albums and tours.
Owen
Your favourite Runrig song: Somethings Got To Give
Favourite Album: Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Inverness 2012

Runrig's Future

Postby Owen » Sat Oct 11, 2014 10:44 am

I have been thinking and suspecting that this forthcoming album from the band may well be the last so when it does come out I'll be making sure that i take full advantage of any tours and such like that will come from it. Calum recently admitted that the songwriting is becoming a little harder to come by but when that does eventually dry up, as long as the band still have energy then that shouldn't by any stretch mean that should be the end of the band, I think the band have a huge back catlogue of material that rarely or never gets done at live shows and I suspect they would have enough of that, perhaps reworked to continue touring for a while yet.

On balance giving that the material they do have is limited, I would prefer to see the band playing three or four dates a year than nothing at all. A reduction in touring for long periods of time overseas and perhaps doing about 8 shows a year would take into consideration the limited amount of material not or at least very rarely done live and the fact that the band are getting older and may want to slow down.

What do you think.
0 x

Agate

Re: Runrig's Future

Postby Agate » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:42 pm

Owen wrote:I have been thinking and suspecting that this forthcoming album from the band may well be the last so when it does come out I'll be making sure that i take full advantage of any tours and such like that will come from it. Calum recently admitted that the songwriting is becoming a little harder to come by but when that does eventually dry up, as long as the band still have energy then that shouldn't by any stretch mean that should be the end of the band, I think the band have a huge back catlogue of material that rarely or never gets done at live shows and I suspect they would have enough of that, perhaps reworked to continue touring for a while yet.

On balance giving that the material they do have is limited, I would prefer to see the band playing three or four dates a year than nothing at all. A reduction in touring for long periods of time overseas and perhaps doing about 8 shows a year would take into consideration the limited amount of material not or at least very rarely done live and the fact that the band are getting older and may want to slow down.

What do you think.

We at home are being starved, god knows why?.......Playing Denmark and Germany and Denmark and Germany, and.......is all very well...............but

You know what, I like Morrisons Bierwurst, but they don't stock it in my local store.....You know the reason they gave ???....... No one buys it. :shock: ........Well OBVIOUSLY !!!, if you don't stock it..........

I suppose that if your songwriting is based on where you come from........and you don't perform there, ....well maybe you shouldn't be surprised if it's a little harder to come by.

I suspect that they actually have some new material to go with but, present circumstances may have put a delay on some of it. They should still record it though. You never know, they may still be young enough to tour with it when circumstances change. 8-)

I hope that youngsters like Crunchie leave this post to be commented on instead of pulling it as usual to suit their own starstruck, treading on glass, "politically correct" agenda. Runrig and the folks surrounding them have done a lot, made a massive difference, have a lot of history and, are big enough, humble enough and not nearly stupid enough to be 'upset by the thoughts of people who have followed them for most of their 40+ years.)
0 x

Rolling Scone
Favourite Gig: Party On the Moor 2013

Postby Rolling Scone » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:04 pm

I think we should stop discussing Runrig´s future. When they feel they have new material that´s good enohj to be released they will do so. I, for one, will be there when that eventually happens. There´s nothing I can do to make them speed up/keep going other than encouraging them by buying new stuff, show interest by keeping this forum/fb/twitter... going and, most importantly, cheer them live on stage, so hopefully they´ll feel they love doing this too much to retire just now.

As far as live shows are concerned, only Runrig themselves can decide how many to play a year and what songs they feel comfortable with. Over the years I have learned that Runig always do what they feel is the right thing for them. And I think that´s a very wise attitude. So I will continue to wait as long as needs be.

Owen, do you remember when/where did Calum say songwriting was getting harder?
0 x
German by birth, Scottish by heart

gillyp
Your favourite Runrig song: Every River, Proterra, today!
Favourite Album: 50 songs
Favourite Gig: Inverness

Postby gillyp » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:10 pm

Well said Rolling Scone. I am also a more mature fan!!! And have followed them for years and I agree with you completely.
0 x

DaveyTee
Your favourite Runrig song: Loch Lomond, This Darkest Winter, Skye.
Favourite Album: Once in a Lifetime
Favourite Gig: Wolverhampton '93

Postby DaveyTee » Fri Oct 17, 2014 7:21 pm

With every respect, I think its a bit daft to try to stop fans discussing the future of one of their favourite bands. Particularly if the band doesn't provide any information, the fans are bound to discuss what's happening and what may happen in the future.

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

Bine
Your favourite Runrig song: Big Sky
Favourite Album: Mara
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness 2007

Postby Bine » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:12 am

DaveyTee wrote:With every respect, I think its a bit daft to try to stop fans discussing the future of one of their favourite bands.

I.m.o., an attempt to stop discussions about the band's future is not wise at least, but dangerous: There is almost nothing else we could currently discuss regarding Runrig, currently there is nothing going on or in sight, that we know of.
Most of us are no teenagers anymore and so many of us tend so see things in a realistic way.

In showbiz, a band people don't speak about anymore, somehow disappears. It's upon us, the fanbase, to keep their relevance alive and to give them the time they obviously need for a new album and new motivation for touring.
We as their fanbase are very, very faithful I suppose. But even the deepest, greatest love starts fading when it is not 'fed'.
I want their music being a part of my life, and for me that includes live performance and a new album after so many years. I hope from the bottom of my heart that it is worth waiting and that no big disappointment will be the end.
I love them, I miss them and I desperately hope for a new album and tour.
0 x

Rolling Scone

Postby Rolling Scone » Sat Oct 18, 2014 9:51 am

Bine wrote:so many of us tend so see things in a realistic way.

In showbiz, a band people don't speak about anymore, somehow disappears. It's upon us, the fanbase, to keep their relevance alive and to give them the time they obviously need for a new album and new motivation for touring.

I wonder what this "realistic way" is. When we talk the band´s future most of the statements I read sound an awful lot more negative than what we get to hear from the band. It almost sounds as if we were talking them into retirement! Runrig, especially the two Macs are getting older, granted. So it maybe true the next album will be the last one. Or it may not be the last one. There are other bands that are still going strong even at that age and older. We still haven´t caught up the Rolling Stones! AC/DC aren´t that young anymore but have a new video/tour out (they usually take years beween albums and have just replaced one of the founding Young brothers due to bad health and still go on9. There´s a German singer with a show celebrating his 80th birthday (OK, not a rock´n´roller, but still able to perform 2 hour shows), the list goes on.

So of course I understand all the worries about our aging boys, I´m worried myself. I just don´t believe that it´s up to us to discuss their future. I totally agree about keeping interest alive (as I´ve said earlier on). Like Oscar wlde said: There´s only one thing worse than being talked about, and that´s not being talked about. However, I still don´t believe it´s their future we should discuss. I know there isn´t that much else, it´s a kind of dilemma, I admit. So any ideas greatly appreciated.
0 x

DaveyTee

Postby DaveyTee » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:03 pm

Rolling Scone wrote:"When we talk the band´s future most of the statements I read sound an awful lot more negative than what we get to hear from the band.

Unfortunately we don't hear anything from the band, at least not on this forum or on the website. That silence, combined with the absence of any new material for some years now, inevitably leads to talk about the future of the band.
Rolling Scone wrote:So of course I understand all the worries about our aging boys, I´m worried myself. I just don´t believe that it´s up to us to discuss their future

I've no worries about them. But I completely fail to understand why you shouldn't think it's "up to us" to discuss their future. I discuss and consider the future of an enormous number of things, and imagine that you do too. What's so special about Runrig that they should be exempt from such discussion? You are veering a little too close to censorship for my liking.

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

Rolling Scone

Postby Rolling Scone » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:49 pm

Ooooooooops, I´m very sorry if I created that impression, DT, that was certainly NOT my intention at all. Seems I have a acquired an ability to make myself misunderstood lately. :shock: :? Please bear withh me until i´m back to old strength in making myself clear (I wonder if I can hire rig as my personal translator before I´ve upset everybody on here ;-) ). Meanwhile, let´s see if I can mend it:

All I meant was that in my very personal opinion I don´t see a point in discussing somebody else´s future if that somebody isn´t there to take part in that discussion (which is NOT to say I want YOU to stop discussing it if you feel like it!!!). It´s just that with Runrig, I feel they´ll do whatever they consider the best for them and they´ll do it whenever they feel the time is right, so in to my mind, all I can do to influence that giving direct feedback that will be noted somehow, e. g. buying, cheering at concerts, keeping forum etc. going...). But whether I believe they´ll record 1, 2 or 5 albums, do a big tour/minor tours every year won´t change anything.

I understand that prospects ae bleak for the reasons you gave. Solid argumentation, no doubt. Yet I cling to Bruce´s word´s at POTM when he said they weren´t done yet (and he repeated something along the same lines in a recent interview (don´t ask me when/where, sombody posted it on fb). Perhaps the only reason why I do this is taht I don´t want to face even the slightest possibilty that the end may be near.

Anyway, to cut it short: Just because I don´t see the point in discussing RR´s future, I do not mean to stop everybody else from talking about it. Hope that clears things up, at least a bit.
0 x

DaveyTee

Postby DaveyTee » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:21 pm

Rolling Scone wrote:All I meant was that in my very personal opinion I don´t see a point in discussing somebody else´s future if that somebody isn´t there to take part in that discussion

Hmmmm - so that means that my wife and I shouldn't discuss our grandchildrens' futures if they're not there? Or that I and other SNP members shouldn't discuss Alex Salmond's future when he's not there? Or that parents can't discuss their adult childrens' futures when they're not there? Or that I can't discuss with other supporters my local football team's star striker's future when he has broken his leg, or has had a lucrative offer from another club? A lot of every day conversation is spent discussing peoples', groups', organisations' futures without they're being there - I don't know how you manage to avoid it, RS!

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

Owen

Postby Owen » Sun Oct 19, 2014 12:31 pm

OK well here is my response to this growing post, seems I've caused a bit of a stir here, don't know whether that's a good thing or not giving how quiet this place is as of late.

I think as a fan of the band that has followed them for most of their career, brought their records and gone to many concerts, I have a vested interest like many of us do like to know what is happening and while I understand that the band like to take things at they're own pace, they wouldn't have lasted five minutes during the chrysalis years and seem to forget that they have a loyal following waiting for a tiny little sign of life, after all it would take literally five minutes to post something on the website just to say hey were still here.

I felt my original post on this was actualy quite the contrary and not negative at all, I think it was fairly balanced view and I'm pretty sure that's how DT seen it too. OK yes indeed they may very well go on until they've matched the rolling stones, which would be fantastic but at the same time we have to face facts and not be in denial that Runrig are a band that are starting to settle down a bit now, the end may be in sight for the band.

Calum once said that the band will go on as long as they have something to offer in contrast to only a few months ago Calum also admitted that the songwriting is drying up and that words don't come as easy as they used to, it came straight from the horses mouth in a BBC radio Scotland interview he recently did with phill Cunningham. Its not a thought that I've just plucked out of the air, its based on statement made by Calum himself.
0 x

Rolling Scone

Postby Rolling Scone » Sun Oct 19, 2014 1:26 pm

Owen, please don´t believe I tried to question the source of your statement. You made quite clear you got that from Calum himself. I only took a sincere interest in where you got that information from, as it had obviously slipped my attention. And I definitely think opening this thread and elicit a more livel, albeit controversial discussion, was a good thing. What a sorry forum this would be if we all agreed constantly on everthing! We all share the love for Runrig and as long as we don´t offend each other, controversy is a good thing. Ii opens up new perspectives.

DT, I think discussing family members future is way more personal and can´t be compared with discussing the future of a celebrity, espicially since you´ll probably share your insights with family members, thus "influencing" (NOT manipulating!) the course of their future. As far as celebrities are concerned, of course you can discuss their future as much as it pleases you. But it won´t change a thing. Therefore, belive it or not, I myself rarely discuss these people´s future - at least not in a way that justifies the word "discussion". We may speculate a bit, sometimes even consider alternatives. Yes I know, that´s what this thread is all about, but again, I don´t weigh the pros and cons of one way or the other, at which a discussion should aim, so I don´t go into detail. But once again, just because I don´t do that, it doesn´t mean you can´t. Just go ahead!
0 x

Zephyr
Your favourite Runrig song: This Darkest Winter
Favourite Album: The Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Barrowlands2010

Postby Zephyr » Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:00 am

Say, another lively discussion going here. It was a good idea, Owen, it's always good to hear the opposing opinions and ideas. After all isn't that what this Forum is about - sharing opinions and thoughts about the Band. It's good to keep the fires lit and I love all the interesting ideas and tidbits of information people post here about the Band..

It would be nice if the Office would put up some info or updates about the Band on the website just to keep the momentum going there, but they are a Band in the music business and not in the on-line communication business, I suppose. DT, do other Bands put up their plans on their websites and such? I don't visit other sites much. Though the ones I have seen do tour more actively and post their dates. Have Runrig ever done that?

I can't really see the point in trying to second-guess their motives or future actions. They will do what they will do and I doubt it will be to quit any time soon.
I trust they are working on an album as they have indicated. That it will come out when it's ready. That they will continue touring as Bruce indicated at POTM - they weren't done yet. And that they will go on for many more years as they ARE NOT THAT OLD. Really, must be the youngsters talking! Calum and Rory are only in their 60s. That is still young in my book. I am far older and if I were making a living doing something I loved as much as they do, I would not be quitting at that age.

Owen - getting more difficult for the songs to come, doesn't really mean drying up. So we will expect they will produce some new stuff - eventually.
they seem to be able to tour just enough to keep things going and Bruce and Brian are continuing their solo interests. It would be lovely if the Band toured in Scotland more and lovelier still if they came to the US - (pie in the sky, won't happen).
I'll be ready when whatever happens, happens and meanwhile look forward to the Wire and any other scraps that come this way.
0 x
Seinn, seinn, seinn, Òran ur, òran an uir

herzchen
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: LochNess+Leipzig07, Edinb.08, Oberhausen10, POTM

Postby herzchen » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:17 am

I fully agree with Rolling Scone, although I admit that of course I silently speculate myself about what will come next. But at the end of the day it's just that: speculation, and it's what most people do when faced with lack of news - publicly or silently. Well, they did come out with the information about "a new album coming soon" (whatever "soon" means :zipit: ), so for me this means I am waiting (more or less) patiently until it's finished and published - there's not much else I can do, can I? Calum's comment about songwriting being not as smooth as it used to be may not be the thing we want to hear. The Macs have written so many songs over the decades that probably they feel they have said what they wanted to say, and inspiration isn't rolling in in waves anymore - but let me repeat: just speculation :) Surely this is the reason why the gaps between new albums get wider. You go a bit slower the older you get - being in my forties :shock: :zipit: :roll: I feel entitled to say this ;) -, and your attitute about what you MUST do and what you CHOOSE to do changes over the years - well, at least this is the case for myself.

Bine wrote:I love them, I miss them and I desperately hope for a new album and tour.

So do I, but so far - based on the information by the band we HAVE got - I have no reason to panic yet :love:
0 x

Owen

Postby Owen » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:00 am

I understand and take every single persons point who has commented on this but like any business Runrig have a duty to the fans and followers to keep them as informed as can be, now I understand some of you may not like that but the truth is, like any business Runrig are a trademarked brand that pays its taxes to the government (thank god) and like any business loyal followers will get bored and go elsewhere if they are not fed with little bit of information, its one of the fundamental rules of business and I can't see or understand why Runrig should be any different.

During these long spells where nothing seems to happen, I always felt that Runrig missed opportunities to perhaps give us a little sneak preview behind the scenes. I understand that some things need to be held back for the fan club but it would be good to perhaps have a 'lite' version of that stuff on the website - for example, they say they are recording right?, a missed opportunity once again when the band could have been posting little bits and bobs like photos and recording diaries just to give us a little insight as to what a day in the recording studio is like with Runrig, it would keep things current and would ensure fans and followers remain engaged because ultimately they can see the progression of a masterpiece that will soon be in their hands.
0 x

DaveyTee

Postby DaveyTee » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:35 pm

Owen wrote:.......but the truth is, like any business Runrig are a trademarked brand that pays its taxes to the government (thank god)

How do you know, Owen? For all we know there may be a Runrig (Offshore) Ltd...... ;)

Otherwise I agree with everything you say. :) I have never understood, far less agreed with, those who say that Runrig have no duty to their fans (I hasten to add that that applies to any band which has a following out of which they make money).

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

roadtrip
Your favourite Runrig song: Too many to list
Favourite Gig: New York, 2004

Postby roadtrip » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:00 pm

My 2cents:
How wonderful that we have the internet, for the time being and hopefully forever. I will continue to look for news about Runrig online.
0 x
All our roads are waiting to be revealed...
I'm still here with the eyes of a child, the wonder never grows old

Rolling Scone

Postby Rolling Scone » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:25 pm

Owen wrote: (...) like any business loyal followers will get bored and go elsewhere if they are not fed with little bit of information, its one of the fundamental rules of business and I can't see or understand why Runrig should be any different.

During these long spells where nothing seems to happen, I always felt that Runrig missed opportunities to perhaps give us a little sneak preview behind the scenes. (...) a missed opportunity once again when the band could have been posting little bits and bobs like photos and recording diaries just to give us a little insight as to what a day in the recording studio is like with Runrig, it would keep things current and would ensure fans and followers remain engaged because ultimately they can see the progression of a masterpiece that will soon be in their hands.

Some wonderful ideas there, Owen. I´d love to see that. Yet for some reasons that are beyond you and me, Runrig have chosen to let these opportunities pass by.

As for the basic business rules, I agree. However, I´m sure Runrig know about these rules and are aware of the risk they take (of losing fans and by losing fans, lose money). I assume financially they are home and dry so they don´t have to do anything they don´t want to do and simply take the liberty to live by that principle. It´s their risk as much as it is our decision whether we still want to follow them or not. Again, basic business here.

To be honest, I´m somewhat jealous that they are in this luxury position. I´d happily reduce my working hours to half time if I could afford that financially. I know for certain that this would also increase the quality of m ywork and consequently my well-being. Alas, like herzchen said, you get a bit slower as you get older while, unfortunately, the world around you seems to speed up. So all I can do is try to run a bit faster to catch up, whereas Runrig seem to be able to keep going at their own pace, lucky lads! (and well deserved it is, they´ve worked hard when things where rough for them).
0 x

Rolling Scone

Postby Rolling Scone » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:44 pm

In addition, here's another thought: perhaps Runrig feel they couldn't deliver the goods in the quality they aim for if they played by the rules of fundamental business. So instead they decided to live by the rules of fundamental Rigness, so to speak.
0 x

herzchen
Favourite Gig: LochNess+Leipzig07, Edinb.08, Oberhausen10, POTM

Postby herzchen » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:30 am

Rolling Scone wrote:Alas, like herzchen said, you get a bit slower as you get older while, unfortunately, the world around you seems to speed up. So all I can do is try to run a bit faster to catch up, whereas Runrig seem to be able to keep going at their own pace, lucky lads! (and well deserved it is, they´ve worked hard when things where rough for them).

RS, you are describing exactly the thing I hate about the modern world: feeling forced to keep up with the treadmill - running ever faster as the world around you is speeding up and up and up. I try to shield myself from this as much as possible, however, I admit not always successfully ;) I respect Runrig's decision not to sumit themselves to these so-called "business rules" - or rather just to the least necessary extent. Wasn't this one of the reasons they quit with the big record labels? My loyalty to them is definitely not subject to the quantity of information I get from them.

Rolling Scone wrote:In addition, here's another thought: perhaps Runrig feel they couldn't deliver the goods in the quality they aim for if they played by the rules of fundamental business. So instead they decided to live by the rules of fundamental Rigness, so to speak.

Amen :rose:
0 x

Return to “Runrig”