Tonder Festival

Runrig discussion - This forum is for chatter on Runrig and their current affairs, albums and tours.
mort's cap

Tonder Festival

Postby mort's cap » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:31 pm

Runrig played on the Friday evening and again on the Saturday afternoon. Their main evening concert was opened by the Faroese singer Eivor. She has a voice quite unlike anything I had heard before and left half the audience in a slightly stunned silence but I was in the half that found it quite magical - dare I say a bit po-faced but in a good way :D I have to say I didn't think Runrig had much oomph during their set (definition of oomph: energy, verve, ability to kick ass ;) ) The crowd seemed only moderately excited where I was, down at the front. I don't know how it looked further back. Two lads in kilts from this forum, I noticed you at the back in the beer house - how was it there? My friend did comment on the light show looking pretty amazing from further back where he doesn't normally stand. Anyway, it was definitely a lacklustre show in my opinion, and I can't help thinking Bruce is coasting a bit at the moment. After PotM anything is going to be somewhat of a comedown but I really think this set list is getting tired now and I sense the band are finding this too.

Much more fun was the Tonder 40th anniversary concert on the Saturday, with a mix and match of luminaries including John Doyle, John McCusker, Mike McGoldrick, Duncan Chisholm, Julie F, Oysterband, Alan Doyle and Brian McNeill along with Runrig. Alec Dalglish (Skerryvore) shared vocals with Bruce on Rocket to the Moon and Julie did so on Hearts. Can't remember ever hearing her sing in English before! She was also on for An Sabhal aig Neill, during which she was given a crash course in the 'Shadows dance' by Bruce, Calum and Iain. Bruce led on the Stan Rogers song Northwest Passage and Rory was part of a large company for I'm a Man you don't meet every Day (I've put a short extract on YouTube - camera battery died soon after), dedicated to great friends and supporters of the band from their early Tonder days 30 years ago, outgoing directors Carsten Panduro and Anni Lehmann.

Best bits of the festival for me were away from Runrig. So much wonderful music everywhere, and a standard of singing and playing that takes the breath away. If pushed I would pick out John Fullbright and the sensational Le Vent du Nord as my highlights.
Last edited by mort's cap on Sun Sep 14, 2014 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x
There's a sky of newest blue

Rolling Scone
Favourite Gig: Party On the Moor 2013

Re: Tonder Festival

Postby Rolling Scone » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:41 pm

Thanks for your review, MC. The lack of energy has been criticized in a newspaper article and the author of which has been heavily criticized himself among Riggies at facebook, but if you got the same impression there might be some truth in it after all, so the response to the concerts was positive without exception (at least I didn´t see one). So hopefully our boys will be back with a vengeance once the new album is out.
0 x
German by birth, Scottish by heart

mort's cap

Postby mort's cap » Sun Sep 07, 2014 6:48 pm

That's interesting RS, I didn't know that. It wasn't a bad gig but there was no fizz, no magic. The whole festival brought home to me quite starkly the progression and freshness of other bands while Runrig haven't moved. My understanding is that work on the new album has barely got under way, so I wouldn't be surprised if we're looking at a year's time for release (I stress that's only my speculation). With the benefit of hindsight, I wonder if they'd have been better starting on the new album almost immediately after PoTM or at latest the beginning of this year, rather than extending the party into the spring. Maybe fitted in some English dates around Christmas. It worries me a bit in terms of album sales how people will react after such a lengthy period; their core support will never desert them but how many folk outside that will be interested or will they have moved onto new things? Even the thrill of hearing Bruce say "We're not done yet" seems to be going a bit cold now. I suppose as a writer you can't force things and it might simply be that Calum and Rory have found it much more difficult to come up with original, strong songs this time but then if they felt there was nothing left in the tank, why make that bold statement at Muir of Ord? One option they could consider is putting out an EP like they did to satisfy Chrysalis while preparing to write for The Big Wheel, only this time it would be done to maintain interest and satisfy fans. Okay it could be considered a distraction but on the other hand I do think this is a critical time for them if they want to retain the momentum following PoTM.
0 x
There's a sky of newest blue

Bine
Your favourite Runrig song: Big Sky
Favourite Album: Mara
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness 2007

Postby Bine » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:50 pm

I suppose, it’s always difficult to find your motivation to go on after such a great, breath-taking event like POTM. The audience is greedy and will expect POTM standards for all future concerts. Which is an expectation, no band could fulfil.
And possibly, Tonder was indeed one of RUNRIG's weaker concerts. But Hessentag Bensheim in June was a really good concert and the band performed brilliantly.
I can imagine that it is completely impossible to force song writing (at least when you expect high quality).
Calum and Rory showed us their song-writer qualities again with the Band from Rockall and their brilliant album.
But it’s not easy to show freshness and invent yourself newly again and again after 40 years in business.

Basically, I’m not a patient person at all. But I prefer to wait for the usual RUNRIG album quality. And in case the brothers shouldn’t have enough inspiration left to provide the great music they used to give us in the past, I prefer not to have a new album at all. No album is better than an uninspired one (that would only destroy the magic).

So let’s simply wait and hope for more wonderful Runrig music to come.
0 x

Rolling Scone
Favourite Gig: Party On the Moor 2013

Postby Rolling Scone » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:09 pm

MC, Runrig announced in Bensheim earlier this summer (well, I call it "summer") that there will be a two years concert break in Germany. The new album has barely entered writing stage and will be out "late next year".

I´m with you on the tiing of the album, looking back, it would probably have bee wiser to start work on the new album to transfer the exciting into new songs. But perhaps it´s hard to ake these decisions when you´re fired up with emotion. Perhaps there have been other engagements.

However, as far as album sales are concerned, I wonder if the band is sort of "past caring". I can´t see it matters te world to them now. If it did, they come up with a new one years ago. They know they have a fan base they can rely on and perhaps by now they consider all the rest as an extra bonus. Besides, I believe to Runrig such a thing as a "critical time" doesn´t exist anymore. The one thing I learned about Runrig is that they will come back with a vengeance when they feel the time is right. So once again, we must have faith and patience.
0 x
German by birth, Scottish by heart

skyeman121
Global Moderator
Your favourite Runrig song: Abhainn An T-Sluaigh
Favourite Album: All of them !!
Favourite Gig: The next one !!

Postby skyeman121 » Wed Oct 29, 2014 6:52 am

I thoroughly enjoyed Runrig's concert at Tonder this year. Nice to see Alec of Skerryvore and Duncan Chisholm and friends joining in with them :)
0 x
There must be a place under the sun
Where hearts of olden glory grow young

urbanite
Your favourite Runrig song: Proterra
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Usher Hall 2009 (my first 'live' experience)

Postby urbanite » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:00 pm

Rolling Scone wrote:MC, Runrig announced in Bensheim earlier this summer (well, I call it "summer") that there will be a two years concert break in Germany. The new album has barely entered writing stage and will be out "late next year"

So does the concert break apply elsewhere? Or just Germany?
0 x

Return to “Runrig”