New members - what made you join the Stamping Ground?

Runrig discussion - This forum is for chatter on Runrig and their current affairs, albums and tours.

Why did you decide to join this Forum?

I was an old MB user
23%
I am an old fan but just found the forum
52%
New fan and found the forum from the Official website
15%
New fan - joined after hearing the Loch Lomond single
1%
Decided to join after Loch Ness
4%
Decided to join after going to a gig this Autumn
4%
New fan - friend suggested I join
2%

Total votes: 447

Eagle man
Your favourite Runrig song: Healer in your Heart
Favourite Album: The Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Sheffield gigs, in last few years

Re: New members - what made you join the Stamping Ground?

Postby Eagle man » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:14 pm

Good afternoon, from a newly-signed-up Sassenach, from Sheffield.

Signed-up because I would like to share my interest in a fine band, one which is well thought of down here. Used to know a Canadian guy in a previous job, who knew Bruce Guthro way back - they used to perform together, aboard a liner, in the entertainment section. Small world.

I admire the Scots, because they are proud of their history, and bands like Runrig promote this well. English are mostly embarassed by their history, and are often made to feel guilty because of this. Flag of St. George seems to be associated with trouble of one kind or another.

Glad you stayed with us - love the warmth of the Scots - have had many joyful holidays up there - keen birdwatcher, having spent much time watching Golden Eagles. Sutherland a second home to me

Hope to converse with ' you guys ' out there, at some time
0 x

rig

Postby rig » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:53 pm

Hi Eagle man - welcome to the board! :rose:

Although I for one am sorry about the referendum result, that has nothing to do with all our English friends and fellow-fans out there, only with Westminster! :twisted: :kiss:

Where do you like to go to in Sutherland? The Summer Walkers is probably a favourite Runrig song, I imagine! :music:

Glad to have you on board, and feel free to join in!
0 x

The colour frontier
The ageing light
The sight that knows no fear

Eagle man

Postby Eagle man » Thu Oct 09, 2014 11:40 am

Many thanks for the warm welcome from the ' Summer Walkers ' friend - this is indeed one of my favourite Runrig songs, and reminds me of a place I miss; unable to travel up there currently, as am unemployed, so have to count the pennies. Great lyrics, make my heart sing: ' while our children sit at websites with no access to the cost...' is brilliant, and yet sad.
0 x

Crunchie
Forum Admin

Postby Crunchie » Tue Oct 14, 2014 9:59 pm

Welcome to you Eagle man, have you seen the sea eagles in Scotland at all? We seen a pair rather close up in Oban last year when they flew over our boat. :shock:
0 x

Eagle man

Postby Eagle man » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:18 am

Dear ' Falkirkian ' - unfortunately, I have never seen a Sea Eagle, but have been told of sightings in West Sutherland, in vicinity of Cranstackie, from a local woman. Mainly a raptor of the isles but, occasionally, we have had sightings of young birds as far south as Lincolnshire, in winter.
Intend re-visiting Sutherland next year, but depends on wether I have a job by then. Fuel cost is inhibiting. Tongue is the place I stay at.

Check out Glen Etive some time - off Glencoe's southern end, on your left - wonderful; the picture on the front cover of a ' Stepping Down The Glory Road ' is looking east, along Glen Etive; know that particular spot very well. Golden Eagle always show well there...

Take care.

By for now
0 x

herzchen
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: LochNess+Leipzig07, Edinb.08, Oberhausen10, POTM

Postby herzchen » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:42 am

A warm welcome from Germany as well Eagle man, from a Scotland holidayer who has just spent one week in Tongue (well, in May ;) ) Haven't spotted any eagles there, but the following week on Skye we spotted two Golden Eagles sitting high up on a cliff (we were told by someone else also watching that they were Golden Eagles), and while sitting on top of Sgurr na Banachdich a White-tailed eagle rising from below into the bright sky - what a sight :D
Hope you have a good time here with us and enjoy the discussions, even though it's a bit quiet at the moment.
0 x

News from heaven
Your favourite Runrig song: Every River
Favourite Album: Searchlight
Favourite Gig: York 1993 Barrowlands 6th dec 2008

Postby News from heaven » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:32 am

Am not totally new member just a lost member updated my details such as email address and what I job I had to do this trying to find my password lol.
Anyway cant believe I joined here in 2008 think that was my last gig at Edinburgh Castle that year, how time and the years race in that its no tomorrow :)) anyway got ma ticket for usher hall Edinburgh in febuary next year ,venue ive never been to seat in the Grand circle not sure what that is pick ticket up on the day at ticket Scotland Edinburgh office so roll on febuary 2016 :)))
1 x

LilithNoor
Your favourite Runrig song: Alba
Favourite Album: Amazing Things

Postby LilithNoor » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:12 pm

I am a totally new member - I discovered the band 15 years or so ago when a gift shop in Ullapool was playing Long Distance. Bought and loved the CDs, but never stopped to think that they might actually still be playing and recording!

A trip to Skye last year jogged my memory - I know a song about this place!- and it spiralled from there into an orgy of music buying, fanclub joining, and a constant thrill of excitement that something I loved was still going strong.

My husband's family is from Wick, and we still have loads of family living in Caithness and Sutherland. Runrig's music makes me homesick for the Highlands, but it also reinforces the bonds I've built up there despite being a Londoner by birth and about as Sassenach as you can get.
1 x

News from heaven
Your favourite Runrig song: Every River
Favourite Album: Searchlight
Favourite Gig: York 1993 Barrowlands 6th dec 2008

Postby News from heaven » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:18 pm

LilithNoor wrote:I am a totally new member - I discovered the band 15 years or so ago when a gift shop in Ullapool was playing Long Distance. Bought and loved the CDs, but never stopped to think that they might actually still be playing and recording!

A trip to Skye last year jogged my memory - I know a song about this place!- and it spiralled from there into an orgy of music buying, fanclub joining, and a constant thrill of excitement that something I loved was still going strong.

My husband's family is from Wick, and we still have loads of family living in Caithness and Sutherland. Runrig's music makes me homesick for the Highlands, but it also reinforces the bonds I've built up there despite being a Londoner by birth and about as Sassenach as you can get.

Welcome to this site The Stamping Ground expect this site to be busy leading up to the gigs in 2016 hope you get to a gig in England :drums:
0 x

weisswurst
Your favourite Runrig song: Wonderful
Favourite Gig: Not yet seen live

Postby weisswurst » Thu Dec 10, 2015 5:40 am

As a Runrig fan in the US Midwest I'm pretty much in isolation here. It's nice to be connected to others who love this band!
1 x

herzchen
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: LochNess+Leipzig07, Edinb.08, Oberhausen10, POTM

Postby herzchen » Thu Dec 10, 2015 6:55 am

Welcome on board weisswurst, hope you enjoy the time on here, even though it has become a bit quiet.
Is there a particular reason you call yourself "weisswurst"? Are you a Bavarian living in the US maybe? Made me laugh heartily, thank you ... ;)

Greetings from Germany,
herzchen
1 x

lennie13
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003

Postby lennie13 » Sat Dec 19, 2015 7:15 am

Love this band but why oh why do they never do a Newcastle gig....especially with Rorys wife living here!!! :-)
0 x

puffin
Engine Room

Postby puffin » Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:42 am

Eh? They do Newcastle on practically every tour Lennie13 - and 'The Story' is no exception: The Sage, Gateshead on 17th February!

Quite often it's the City Hall but unless you are really pedantic about a short stroll over a bridge then The Sage is close enough to Newcastle for anyone! :)
0 x
And I dream of a day when our superficial gaze
is replaced with something more real
And the lines on the face are a thing to celebrate
for the tales that they tell

[FolkLaw c.Nick Gibbs 'The Tales That They Tell']

weisswurst
Your favourite Runrig song: Wonderful
Favourite Gig: Not yet seen live

Postby weisswurst » Wed Dec 23, 2015 5:59 pm

Herzchen,
I teach German and our partner school is located in Bavaria. I get there often.
Merry Christmas- Frohe Weihnachten!

Weißwurst
1 x

DaveW_Blues&Roots
Your favourite Runrig song: The Story, Alba
Favourite Album: The Story
Favourite Gig: Poole Arts Centre 1993

Postby DaveW_Blues&Roots » Sun Jan 10, 2016 5:41 pm

Hello all.

Just joined up....apologies for being late!

I admit...I have been a long time but casual fan. I saw them in Poole one time, I think it was 1993....I have a couple of albums...and that's about it, collection wise. I have long enjoyed the music though and joining up with Spotify has opened up lots of tunes I had missed first time around.

I host a long running radio show, Blues & Roots and this week, I will be interviewing Brian Hurren live on the phone, so looking forward to that. I was sent The Story tracks yesterday and love every one of them, I'll be playing two on the show! :)
3 x

Dilgriff
Your favourite Runrig song: The Story
Favourite Album: Everything You See
Favourite Gig: Warwick University

Postby Dilgriff » Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:04 am

Hi.
Been a Runrig fan for just over 30 years. I heard Heartland for the first time when my wife was pregnant with our son who is now a police officer in Nottingham and will be attending his first Runrig gig next week in that city. I first heard Skye and Dance Called America etc at the same time as he started kicking in the womb! His mother and I have been to six gigs since then but this will be his first.
What makes it even more interesting is that he has just got married to a lovely Scottish girl who's parents are also Runrig fans and the six of us will be there on Tuesday.
My son and his wife spent their honeymoon on Skye.
I am convinced that hearing Runrig has sublimatically influenced his life. Their music has definitely been a soundtrack to his life so far and we are so looking forward to seeing them live with him.
1 x

Ashley Kirk
Your favourite Runrig song: And We'll Sing
Favourite Album: Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Hammersmith 1991

Postby Ashley Kirk » Fri Feb 26, 2016 8:10 am

Hello

I ticked the box marked New Fan, which is sort of true, though I first discovered the band way back at the time the Once in a Lifetime live album. But for one reason or another I lost touch with them for a few years. I owe my rediscovery to being a big fan of Scottish traditional music, especially Battlefield Band and associated performers, which led me via a convoluted route from Ewen Henderson to Manran to Gary Innes and back to Runrig again and I remembered just how good a band they are. One thing I found about coming back older and slightly wiser was that, before, what appealed was the live vibe and the big anthems, now I find myself wholly absorbed in the songs as songs and the superb combination of intelligence and gut feeling that lies in the writing. Calum and Rory really are as great a writing team as any in either of our countries.

Which does mean, yes, I'm another one of those damned Englishmen from Yorkshire (though originally from way further south). A bit of Scottish blood courtesy my Great Grandfather who came from Edinburgh, but not enough, I think, to qualify for the football team. It's my spiritual home though, as I realise every time I head north. Or listen to Loch Lomond.
2 x

lakeguard
Favourite Gig: none

Postby lakeguard » Mon Feb 29, 2016 5:52 pm

I saw "The Story" video, was intrigued by the short clip of the guy driving away in the BMW, couldn't find any explanation on any other website, and turned to The Forum as my last hope of finding an explanation for it. :-)
0 x

Return to “Runrig”