New members - what made you join the Stamping Ground?

Runrig discussion - This forum is for chatter on Runrig and their current affairs, albums and tours.

Why did you decide to join this Forum?

I was an old MB user
23%
I am an old fan but just found the forum
52%
New fan and found the forum from the Official website
15%
New fan - joined after hearing the Loch Lomond single
1%
Decided to join after Loch Ness
4%
Decided to join after going to a gig this Autumn
4%
New fan - friend suggested I join
2%

Total votes: 447

usrunrigfan

Re: New members - what made you join the Stamping Ground?

Postby usrunrigfan » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:02 pm

Welcome to the group, Evanna!
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

Evanna
Your favourite Runrig song: An Sabhal Aig Neill, Chi mi`n geamhradh
Favourite Album: Gaelic Collection

Postby Evanna » Sat Nov 10, 2012 9:31 am

Thank you very much for welcome me :)
I hope you are fine on the other side of the world.
Do you have grey November days too?

I just discovered these beautiful runrig lyrics by the song Foghar nan Eilean/ Autumn Island:

The heather on the hills
And the sunlit forests
Will reveal their colours for us
Until they return again

I like poetry.
I think it brings a bit hope and light in grey days :)
Though at first autumn is very colourful untill the trees loosing leaves.

If my English sounds funny to you as I`m not a native speaker, I hope it makes you smile ;)

The original text in Gaelic is like this:

Bidh am fraoch air nam beanntan
'S a choille ruadh fon ghrian
'S iad a sealltain dathan dhomsa
Gus an till iad a rithis

The music of the song sounds beautiful, calm and melodic, it`s from the Album: Gaelic Collection.

Maybe it`s not so important to know a language perfect and pronounce it correct, it matters if you like speaking and talk with heart and emotion, hoping they understand you ;)
or they have at least a good laugh :D

Bye then
Tìoraidh an-drásda!
0 x
Come as you are as a friend

Evanna
Your favourite Runrig song: An Sabhal Aig Neill, Chi mi`n geamhradh
Favourite Album: Gaelic Collection

Postby Evanna » Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:37 pm

Oh Rig,
there are at least 5 other female fans who consider Rory as their darling, on this board.
so we just have to accept the facts ;)
don`t get angry.
Yes I live in Germany and I`m learning Gaelic, but till now, for my own, because travelling to the courses would be to expensive at this moment. :cry:
the town, Bonn, where they are here, it is a bit far away, but somehow I will find a way, I would favour of course to travel to the college on the Isle of Skye :love:
But thank you for your tip.

I haven`t seen them life yet, but I hope for it soon.

So maybe see you there :)

Where do you live? do you speak Gaelic as mother tongue?
You could teach me online a bit if you want :)

See you
Evanna
0 x
Come as you are as a friend

lenirox
Your favourite Runrig song: Maymorning!
Favourite Album: The Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Loreley & POTM 2013; Reading 2014

Postby lenirox » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:45 pm

Hi everybody & a Happy New Year!

I briefly wanted to introduce myself.. though this is going to be a very short story. ;-)
I'm a fan for exactly 32 days now after seeing Runrig live in Leipzig! It was awesome and I immediately fell in love with their music and energy!

I bought the 50 Great Songs compilation before the show so I knew it is going to be a great night. But I didn't expect it to be that mindblowing! I have seen a lot of bands live and really like a lot of them but only a few managed to impress me from the very start.

A little history: When I was 12 years old Roxette conquered my heart and I'm still a glowing fan nowadays, I cannot deny it. I also went to see Bon Jovi, U2, Rolling Stones, Toto, Bryan Adams, R.E.M. and many others but none of them could ever come close to Roxette. In 2003 one band nearly made it: The Hooters stepped into my life and turned into my second musical love. I went to their shows whenever possible and if I have to compare the feeling I have now then it is the one I always had with the Hooters. I think, there are some similarities between them and Runrig. I guess, that's why I love both bands so much now.

It is sad that it took me so long to discover Runrig. However, I'm grateful that I finally made it BEFORE the big anniversary! :-) And I look forward to everything 2013 might bring! There is a lot to catch up and I'm ready to make the most out of it! :-)
0 x

rig

Postby rig » Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:02 pm

Welcome, lenirox!
:rose:

Very glad you've discovered Runrig, however late!
Hope you can make one of the big anniversary shows in 2013, and you have a large back-catalogue to catch up with! :music:
0 x

The colour frontier
The ageing light
The sight that knows no fear

kivi
Your favourite Runrig song: maymorning
Favourite Gig: Leipzig

Postby kivi » Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:09 pm

lenirox wrote:Hi everybody & a Happy New Year!

I briefly wanted to introduce myself.. though this is going to be a very short story. ;-)
I'm a fan for exactly 32 days now after seeing Runrig live in Leipzig! It was awesome and I immediately fell in love with their music and energy!

I bought the 50 Great Songs compilation before the show so I knew it is going to be a great night. But I didn't expect it to be that mindblowing! I have seen a lot of bands live and really like a lot of them but only a few managed to impress me from the very start.

A little history: When I was 12 years old Roxette conquered my heart and I'm still a glowing fan nowadays, I cannot deny it. I also went to see Bon Jovi, U2, Rolling Stones, Toto, Bryan Adams, R.E.M. and many others but none of them could ever come close to Roxette. In 2003 one band nearly made it: The Hooters stepped into my life and turned into my second musical love. I went to their shows whenever possible and if I have to compare the feeling I have now then it is the one I always had with the Hooters. I think, there are some similarities between them and Runrig. I guess, that's why I love both bands so much now.

It is sad that it took me so long to discover Runrig. However, I'm grateful that I finally made it BEFORE the big anniversary! :-) And I look forward to everything 2013 might bring! There is a lot to catch up and I'm ready to make the most out of it! :-)

My story is nearly the same, but I know their music for more than a year. Sadly I never made it to one of the concerts in this time. But I am happy that I will have a great tour this year :thumbsup:
0 x

rig

Postby rig » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:21 am

Welcome, Kivi! :rose:

I hope you enjoy seeing Runrig live for the very first time this year - it should be an unforgettable experience! Listen to as much as possible before you go to a gig, so that you enjoy the sense of familiarity.
0 x

The colour frontier
The ageing light

Jan_Dahl
Your favourite Runrig song: The Stamping Ground
Favourite Album: The Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Skovdalen 2013

Postby Jan_Dahl » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:51 pm

Was to a concert this evening... decided to go look at there homepage, and found the forum, which i decided to join....
0 x

rig

Postby rig » Fri Jun 07, 2013 10:58 pm

Glad you found not only Runrig but the forum! :rose:
0 x

The colour frontier
The ageing light

johngod1
Your favourite Runrig song: every riiver
Favourite Album: 50 greatest
Favourite Gig: guildford 2012

Postby johngod1 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:57 pm

bruce - he is magic -he has a wonderful voice and a fantastic personality - bruce bruce bruce bruce for ever - we love bruce
0 x

johngod1
Your favourite Runrig song: every riiver
Favourite Album: 50 greatest
Favourite Gig: guildford 2012

Postby johngod1 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:00 pm

donnie should not perform on the the 40th anniversary - he had his chance -he decided he did not want anything more to do with runring - without bruce there is no way runrig will have got to there 40th - -if you are a true runrig fan - you will know bruce is the one that made them what there are today ( the best). If bruce decided he has had enough of this donnie V bruce , it will be the end of runrig.
0 x

Bine
Your favourite Runrig song: Big Sky
Favourite Album: Mara
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness 2007

Postby Bine » Mon Jun 17, 2013 4:08 pm

Hi johngod1:
You're quite new to the forum I suppose, and so you possibly don't know that the Bruce-Donnie issue has been discussed on here ad nauseam. I'm afraid nobody is really interested in another unpleasant remake.
There are pros and contras for both, but this discussion proved to be not constructive at all.
That's why we should better make a cut at this point.
0 x

Crunchie
Forum Admin

Postby Crunchie » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:40 pm

Bine wrote:Hi johngod1:
You're quite new to the forum I suppose, and so you possibly don't know that the Bruce-Donnie issue has been discussed on here ad nauseam. I'm afraid nobody is really interested in another unpleasant remake.
There are pros and contras for both, but this discussion proved to be not constructive at all.
That's why we should better make a cut at this point.

Thanks Bine you've more or less saved me from typing out the same thing.

A debate that's been done to death already and one which I don't really wish to see repeated.
0 x

changeling
Your favourite Runrig song: All of them!!!
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003

Postby changeling » Mon Jul 15, 2013 10:01 am

New fan and found the forum from the Official website :D ......I'm a little embarrassed about being a "new" fan of Runrig, even though I was born in good 'ol '58...but you know how things go, you can't keep up with everything in musicland, can you??? In the 70s in my beloved Australia, we were into the harder stuff like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple aND Led Zep:):)!!! Howvere, as we saY: "It's NEVER too late":):):)
0 x

Johan
Your favourite Runrig song: Every River, Running to the light
Favourite Album: 50 Greatest

Postby Johan » Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:40 pm

For some very strange reason Runrig is not well known in South Africa. Heard my first Runrig song (Skye) in a whiskey advert some 10 years ago. My wife contacted the distributors who told her that it was sang by a group called Runrig. Our local music store did not have any albums of Runrig and imported Celtic Glory for me. I absolutely love their music. Wish I could have been at the 40 year anniversary concert.
0 x

urbanite
Your favourite Runrig song: Proterra
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Usher Hall 2009 (my first 'live' experience)

Postby urbanite » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:12 am

Johan wrote:Heard my first Runrig song (Skye) in a whiskey advert some 10 years ago.

Ooh Johan you may have committed the mortal sin of getting your whiskey mixed up with whisky. ;)
Welcome to the Stamping Ground though!
0 x

TheEngineRoom
Your favourite Runrig song: every river
Favourite Album: everything you see
Favourite Gig: 40th anniversary 2013

Postby TheEngineRoom » Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:11 am

I have been a Runrig fan for 22 years now. Seen them 13 times now, first time being 30th Anniversary concert in Stirling. It was fantastic to see them at last.
I used to live in France and I could never see them. I have now moved to Scotland 10 years ago and I try to see them at least once a year now.
My daughter is also a deep hard fan and I am so proud of this.
At last, I joined the board after a long time reading it. What decided me to do so was the fact I want to say loud that I hope the band will decide to release a FULL version of the Party in the Moor concert.
It was the best and most emotional concert I have even been to. The show was simply perfect. I would like to remember it as it was.
The Stirling and Loch Ness DVDs were showing parts of the concert and I always regret that some songs are cut off, although I can understand that there could be some technical issues during the recording.
As Bruce said 2 weeks, I hope there is much more to come form the band. When is the next album?
0 x

rig

Postby rig » Thu Aug 29, 2013 5:51 pm

Welcome to new members Changeling (great name!), Johan and The Engine Room.
I'm always amazed and delighted at how wide the "Runrig net" spreads.

Hope you all continue to enjoy the band and the forum with us for many years to come! :rose:

We're not expecting any albums before next year, as the band had a huge job on their hands to get the 40th celebrations and tours up and running, and will need a breather, but as was pointed out continually at the Party, the band is NOT thinking of giving it up, and there is definitely more to come. :D :D :D
0 x

The colour frontier
The ageing light

CCKitty

Postby CCKitty » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi - I only found Runrig a few years ago on youtube, searching for my favorite song, Lock Lomond. I am now a fan. I considered getting passports updated and coming to the 40th anniversary, but other matters intervened. I came to the website to find other tour dates, unsuccessful there. Will you ever tour in the U.S. or planning to come to Canada?
0 x

crsmit
Your favourite Runrig song: Big Sky
Favourite Gig: Edinburgh castle 2013

Postby crsmit » Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:45 pm

i origonaly joined looking for information for a documentary i was doing on the band back in 2007 for my collage course. honistly i had forgotten the site was here.
0 x

Return to “Runrig”