New members - what made you join the Stamping Ground?

Runrig discussion - This forum is for chatter on Runrig and their current affairs, albums and tours.

Why did you decide to join this Forum?

I was an old MB user
23%
I am an old fan but just found the forum
52%
New fan and found the forum from the Official website
15%
New fan - joined after hearing the Loch Lomond single
1%
Decided to join after Loch Ness
4%
Decided to join after going to a gig this Autumn
4%
New fan - friend suggested I join
2%

Total votes: 447

gsailors
Your favourite Runrig song: Book of Golden Stories
Favourite Album: 30 th Anniversary
Favourite Gig: Haven't been yet

Re: New members - what made you join the Stamping Ground?

Postby gsailors » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:21 pm

Look, the wife and I made our first trip to Scotland in September and were so struck with the beauty of the country and the soul of it's people. Then we found Runrig, quite by accident, and may have become two of their biggest fans. Wow, why haven't we known about them for the past 30 years. I joined this forum to learn anything and everything I can about Runrig. I was always a huge Beatle and Bee Gees fan, and now there must also be room made available for Runrig. Runrig is right up there at the top for my wife and I. I have ordered the 50 song CD set, and am anxious to learn what the concert schedule will be for the fall of 2011. Believe it or not, we think we will try to come back to Scotland, just to see Runrig in concert if they are playing. I could only dream that they would be at Edinburgh Castle again. BTW, we are not star-struck kids but serious fans of great music and likely star-struck adults. LOL
0 x

Tepet
Your favourite Runrig song: One Thing
Favourite Album: Alba
Favourite Gig: N/A

Postby Tepet » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:40 am

First heard of Runrig when I saw the Alba lp on the record store shelf....here in Olympia, WA, USA. Fell in love with both Runrig and Dougie MacLean. It didn't hurt that I had just come back from holiday in England and in Scotland. I have been a fan ever since Alba and I got annoyed when Donnie left and didn't know how I could like Bruce....Now of course I prefer Bruce. I have collected Bruce's solo albums and have ALL of Runrig...Decided to read about the 50 great songs and went to the web site and found the forum.

I am a huge fan...they are my favorite band....but damn them for not coming to the US.

Tepet
0 x

puffin
Engine Room

Postby puffin » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:46 pm

gsailors wrote: I have ordered the 50 song CD set, and am anxious to learn what the concert schedule will be for the fall of 2011. Believe it or not, we think we will try to come back to Scotland, just to see Runrig in concert if they are playing. I could only dream that they would be at Edinburgh Castle again. BTW, we are not star-struck kids but serious fans of great music and likely star-struck adults. LOL

Hi there and welcome to the Board. :rose:
Sadly Runrig have decided to take a year out from live touring in 2011 (hopefully to write some more wonderful songs!) to recharge their batteries, do individual stuff and go fishing ;) but will be back in 2012 - which gives you an extra year to save for that special trip to Scotland! In additon, 2013 will bring the Band's 40th Anniversary and something big has been promised.... but we all just have to wait and see what that is. :music: Something else to save up for!!

You absolutely MUST see Runrig live at least once if you possibly can - but I warn you, it's addictive!! We have just returned from a road trip to Glasgow from the south west of England to see them live at the (in)famous Barrowlands Ballroom in the coldest conditions I think I have ever encountered. Was it worth it - the cost, all the stress and worry of 'will we get there because of the weather?' ... You bet it was!!!!! :music: :music: :D
0 x
And I dream of a day when our superficial gaze
is replaced with something more real
And the lines on the face are a thing to celebrate
for the tales that they tell

[FolkLaw c.Nick Gibbs 'The Tales That They Tell']

gael
Your favourite Runrig song: Fifteen?(Beurla) all the Gaidhlig ones
Favourite Album: All of them I have
Favourite Gig: waaaa!

Postby gael » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:01 pm

Hi Tepet,

I'm another huge fan out here in the Pacific Northwest USA! Oregon (Eastern) to be exact, and welcome to the forum! Most of my family live in Washington (Tacoma, Gig Harbor, and Port Orchard) and you'll find me going to Gaelic classes in Seattle five times a year, thanks in part to this amazing group of lads from Scotland called Runrig.

I missed the Barras concert but have already seen snippets of it on YouTube! And at the risk of repeating myself, I love this band and their music. Saving up for a trip in 2012!
0 x
Cha chaidil mi gun till mi do mo ghraidh

Soar above the singing river...Running to the light.

Cutter Jonny
Your favourite Runrig song: O Cho Mealt
Favourite Album: Heartland
Favourite Gig: Barras '87

Postby Cutter Jonny » Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:56 pm

That's me just joined. Great wee site this.

My Mother used to sing with the boys, so that's the reason of joining.

Other than that, their music has been with me through the good times and the bad.
0 x

SDB
Engine Room
Your favourite Runrig song: Sunndach
Favourite Album: Recovery
Favourite Gig: Barrowlands 1993

Postby SDB » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:33 pm

Cutter Jonny wrote:That's me just joined. Great wee site this.

My Mother used to sing with the boys, so that's the reason of joining.

Other than that, their music has been with me through the good times and the bad.

Welcome aboard.
0 x
See the young men late in the glen , all with camans in hand

ninja_jim
Your favourite Runrig song: An Toll Dubh
Favourite Album: Year of the flood
Favourite Gig: Live at Scone Palace - Year of Homecoming 2009

Postby ninja_jim » Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:18 am

I've been a fan for quite a few years - when I'm away from home with work, just listening to the music and I'm right back there.... there's just such an incredible feeling and atmosphere to their music - just makes me think of home and family and growing up, and all the important things in life..... put simply, I love their music..... but I've no real excuse for not joining the Stamping Ground sooner! sorry......
0 x

doobster
Your favourite Runrig song: Prottera
Favourite Album: ALL
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003

Postby doobster » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:35 pm

Been a fan since Balloch Country Park [Loch Lomond] gig back in the early 80's got every album and dvd but never thought to look for a forum for them? however having just missed them when up in Dunfermline in December to see another of Scotlands greats RHCP [The Red Hot Chillie Pipers] so was damn annoyed i never even knew RR were playing decided them to keep tabs on them to try to get to see them live again 30 yrs later as soon as i can ......

Btw am i thick or is there not any listings on here of where they are playing ...
0 x

Albalass
Engine Room
Your favourite Runrig song: Maymorning
Favourite Album: Too Hard To Choose
Favourite Gig: Heb Fest 2010

Postby Albalass » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:54 pm

doobster wrote:
Btw am i thick or is there not any listings on here of where they are playing ...

Welcome doobster. Your not thick the listings of the gigs are on the official site (link at bottom of main page or go direct to www.runrig.co.uk) unfortunately the guys are taking a year off touring so no gigs until 2012 :( . Withdrawl symptoms kicking in for quite a few of us so your not the only one waiting for a gig.
0 x
You can tell me, flowers never bend
Or that this world's at an end
But don't tell me
That we'll never meet again

Seitheach
Your favourite Runrig song: Satelite Flood
Favourite Album: Gaelic Collection

Postby Seitheach » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:06 pm

I'm new to both the band and the forum. Not sure how I found out about Runrig but love the music and how it makes me feel. We don't hear much about bands from Scotland out here in the Pacific Northwest of the USA but I sure wish I had known about them sooner so now I am working on getting all of them. The first three I have are Beat the Drum, The Gaellic Collection and Everything You See.
0 x

Bine
Your favourite Runrig song: Big Sky
Favourite Album: Mara
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness 2007

Postby Bine » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:48 am

Seitheach wrote:I'm new to both the band and the forum. Not sure how I found out about Runrig but love the music and how it makes me feel. We don't hear much about bands from Scotland out here in the Pacific Northwest of the USA but I sure wish I had known about them sooner so now I am working on getting all of them. The first three I have are Beat the Drum, The Gaellic Collection and Everything You See.

Welcome on board Seitheach! A very clever idea to get all of RUNRIG's recordings. Not really cheap though ;) but definitely worth your while :music:. And getting deeper into their musical work will make you love them more every day.
0 x

sundaydriver
Your favourite Runrig song: Big Sky
Favourite Album: All of them
Favourite Gig: the NEXT one!

Postby sundaydriver » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:13 pm

HEY! Another one from the US! Welcome! I've not been a member here for very long, but my goal has been to obtain all the CD's and DVD's the Runrig shop has to offer. And no its not cheap, with the exchange rates and shipping costs - but SO EXCITED to get new material every few weeks. Keeps the "fever" alive so to speak!
0 x

usrunrigfan

Postby usrunrigfan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:38 pm

Failte, Seitheach! I'm in Ohio. (from the east coast, though)

I agree, we do not hear much Scottish music here. I would love to hear more, so I go to all the festivals the purse will allow in the summer, and spend probably too much time with youtube. :)
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

Seitheach
Your favourite Runrig song: Satelite Flood
Favourite Album: Gaelic Collection

Postby Seitheach » Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:59 pm

To those that have welcomed me so far thank you. The last month or so has been really trying and I have found that listening to the songs that are in Gaellic have really been a source of comfort for me. Not sure why, but it is a big part of my life now. I am looking forward to getting more of their music to add to my library and have found that my interest in learning the language of my ancestors has increased.
0 x

rig

Postby rig » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:52 pm

Hi Sitheach,

Fàilte an seo!

Glad to have so many Runrig fans across the Mighty Atlantic!

If you want to learn Gaelic but there are no classes where you are, there's a distance programme (Skype + online) with the Atlantic Gaelic Academy :

http://www.gaelicacademy.ca/

They do all levels, from Beginners upwards, and have students all over North America and even Europe.

You can also make a start with the free BBC online course Beag air Bheag:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/alba/foghlam/beag_air_bheag/

and there are more resources listed on Fòram na Gàidhlig:

http://www.foramnagaidhlig.net/index.php?page=4

and you can join in easy threads in the bilingual section, and ask questions: http://www.foramnagaidhlig.net/foram/

And of course we have a wee Gaelic Learners Corner on this board, in the Off Topic section:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=121

Glad to have you on board! :rose:
0 x

The colour frontier
The ageing light
The sight that knows no fear

usrunrigfan

Postby usrunrigfan » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:03 pm

I also know a lady from Barra that gives lessons via Skype. If anyone wants her email address, please let me know.
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

KatieG
Your favourite Runrig song: Harvest Moon
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: never been

Postby KatieG » Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:03 pm

Mainly I'm looking for an answer to a few questions. Seems the best place to ask. I'm a Yank; my uncle lived in Scotland for a number of years and set me to listening to Runrig years ago. He thinks he created a monster. ;)
0 x

usrunrigfan

Postby usrunrigfan » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:34 pm

Hi Katie. Welcome to the group.

Where in the US are you? I'm from the east coast but live in Ohio.
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

flippygirl
Your favourite Runrig song: Every River
Favourite Album: Everything you see
Favourite Gig: Sheffield 2010 my girls 1st concert

Postby flippygirl » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:33 pm

Have been a fan for years since living in Germany but since my young daughters spend every moment singing Runrig songs and attended their first concert last year (first ever I might add) decided they could visit the website and stumbled across the forum x :twisted:
0 x
Always loved Runrig but nothing makes me smile more than hearing my girls sweet voices belt out Beat The Drum

Slackitude
Your favourite Runrig song: May Morning
Favourite Album: The Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: n/a

Postby Slackitude » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:33 pm

I was watching a YouTube video on the use of the Highland broadsword (I collect swords) and it had the most fascinating background music. In the comments someone asked about the music and was told it was by a band called "Runrig". I set out to find out more about the band and was soon watching YouTube video after video, then I showed my wife what I had found and she agreed we needed some of the albums. We're new fans, wondering how we managed to go all this time without ever hearing of Runrig. Maybe being in the US had something to do with it.
0 x

Return to “Runrig”