Anytown - Balham Rd

This section of the forum is for chat relating to other bands and artists including past and present band members solo work.
MattDLH
Your favourite Runrig song: Running to the Light
Favourite Album: Proterra
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness 2007

Anytown - Balham Rd

Postby MattDLH » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:42 pm

Hey guys :cam:

Here is one of our latest recordings. Balham Road is the opening song from Anytown's debut album, Trouble on the Water (2014). Featuring Sheffield's Kirsty Bromley on backing vocals, Matt Taylor and Robin Baker from Dead Like Harry on vocals, keyboard and double bass and Rita Payne's Rhiannon Scutt on guitar, the song is a tribute to those killed in the Balham Road tube station bombing during World War 2. Hope you enjoy it. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2tF3eO ... e=youtu.be
0 x

rig

Re: Anytown - Balham Rd

Postby rig » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:58 am

This is a lovely song, and in fact the whole album is great. :rose:
(A good buy altogether.)

A very mature sound - and no wonder. Most of these guys have more than served their due on the live stage, and in the recording studio.

Have always been a fan of Dead Like Harry. They were themselves inspired by Runrig many moons ago, and have received praise and recognition from Calum and Rory themselves, specifically for their version of This Time of Year.

Keep up the good work! :music:
2 x

The colour frontier
The ageing light
The sight that knows no fear

puffin
Engine Room

Postby puffin » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:38 am

I'll second that! Sorry I've only just got round to listening to it (good intentions and all that... :oops: ) and it really is lovely.

Like Firth, I have been a DLH fan for some time but sadly never managed to see them (or Anytown) live due to distance, cost, and the one gig within reach being cancelled. We will get there one day!

All the best for the band's future. :thumbsup:
1 x
And I dream of a day when our superficial gaze
is replaced with something more real
And the lines on the face are a thing to celebrate
for the tales that they tell

[FolkLaw c.Nick Gibbs 'The Tales That They Tell']

MattDLH
Your favourite Runrig song: Running to the Light
Favourite Album: Proterra
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness 2007

Postby MattDLH » Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:46 pm

Thanks Puffin and Rig for that! Glad you've followed Dead Like Harry over the years and now had a listen to the Anytown songs as well. Have enjoyed writing songs and performing live since I was 16, which is 17 years now. Bit less time these days for too many gigs but I'm happier recording, writing and doing the occasional good gig when it comes along. We're going back into the studio in May to do a couple more tracks, either the start of another album or an EP, we'll see if any more songs come along. I only wish we had the resources to spend longer in the studio - if you listen to Dead Like Harry's Know The Joy of Good Living, we did this over a month, so we had loads of time for layering it up and playing with ideas, and it makes all the difference. The recordings we do these days have to be done to a ratio of about 2 songs a day, which gives a bit less time for playing around, though in the case of a few of the tracks on the new album I think this has created a less busy sound while still retaining the heart of the songs - I think we did this with Red Dress back in 2006 too. I was really pleased that Rory enjoyed This Time of Year, I felt the recording was a bit rushed as we're always working to a small budget and thus against the clock, but I've had a lot of people tell me they like this one best - perhaps it's because I didn't write it ha ha! Thanks again. Matt
2 x

Return to “Other Music”