Bruce Guthro, The Symphony Sessions.

This section of the forum is for chat relating to other bands and artists including past and present band members solo work.
Owen
Your favourite Runrig song: Somethings Got To Give
Favourite Album: Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Inverness 2012

Bruce Guthro, The Symphony Sessions.

Postby Owen » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:18 pm

Well, have to say, I'm a little bit shocked and feeling rather out of the loop. Who else knew about Bruce's latest offering, Symphony Sessions, only available at Bruceguthro.dk and billetlugen.dk, slightly annoyed to say the least - thanks to Bruce for remembering all of his English speaking fans in the Uk, US and Canada.
0 x

Bine
Your favourite Runrig song: Big Sky
Favourite Album: Mara
Favourite Gig: Loch Ness 2007

Re: Bruce Guthro, The Symphony Sessions.

Postby Bine » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:18 pm

Well, not to forget the Germans ;)
Anyhow, I suppose in DK he is more popular than he will ever be in UK, Canada or the US. Or Germany.
Music is how he makes his money, so his approach regarding the choice of his favourite country for appearance on stage seems sensible, no?
0 x

Crunchie
Forum Admin

Postby Crunchie » Fri Jan 16, 2015 1:34 pm

I vaguely remember seeing bits and pieces about this on facebook but wasn't sure if it was only available in Denmark or if the sites did ship internationally.

Is Bruce really more popular in Denmark than in Canada? I don't tend to pay much attention to his solo dates as I didn't think he would play anywhere in the UK and I'm not really in a position to travel anywhere.
0 x

solman
Your favourite Runrig song: all of them
Favourite Album: The Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Edinburgh Castle 2013

Postby solman » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:06 pm

Well I have all his solo albums so a bit annoyed I haven't heard about this before now. I agree he should remember his fans world wide and not just in one country. :cry:
0 x

Owen
Your favourite Runrig song: Somethings Got To Give
Favourite Album: Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Inverness 2012

Postby Owen » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:24 pm

Im not sure i agree that Bruce has less of a following in Canada, he regularly does Canadian shows and festivals and gets quite alot of exposure as a tv presenter too. Its not really that he is any less popular in the uk, a ton of Runrig fans would support his rise in the UK its just that everytime we seem to get close to it happening it falls apart, it has been attepted twice and for that reason i dont buy the got to go where the money is argument cause simply without Runrig hed be almost completely unknown in Germany, denmark or the UK, seems like the US get frustrated with never being able to see runrig, with the UK its deeply frustrating not being able to catch bruce live.
0 x

herzchen
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: LochNess+Leipzig07, Edinb.08, Oberhausen10, POTM

Postby herzchen » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:21 am

Don't be too harsh with Bruce and angry about the symphony sessions being released in Denmark only. The songs were recorded a few years ago in Denmark, and I don't think it was planned to publish them at all. But now the Danish National Chamber Orchestra (DRUO) is in financial distress, and the CD was put together to support them - the revenues of the CD go to the orchestra, that's how I understood it.

On bruceguthro.dk it says that:
"The Symphony Sessions is a limited edition release which supports DRUO."

Distributing the CD worldwide would probably have been too costly. I don't know how these things work, but just like in real life I suppose the more parties are involved the more expensive it gets ;) Anyway, the CD was also sold at the merch stall during Bruce's last tour in November/December - also in Germany.
1 x

Kim
Your favourite Runrig song: Hearts Of Olden Glory
Favourite Album: Proterra
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003

Postby Kim » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:21 pm

I've only just heard the album from a friend and it's excellent.
0 x

Crunchie
Forum Admin

Postby Crunchie » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:34 pm

herzchen wrote:Don't be too harsh with Bruce and angry about the symphony sessions being released in Denmark only. The songs were recorded a few years ago in Denmark, and I don't think it was planned to publish them at all. But now the Danish National Chamber Orchestra (DRUO) is in financial distress, and the CD was put together to support them - the revenues of the CD go to the orchestra, that's how I understood it.

On bruceguthro.dk it says that:
"The Symphony Sessions is a limited edition release which supports DRUO."

Distributing the CD worldwide would probably have been too costly. I don't know how these things work, but just like in real life I suppose the more parties are involved the more expensive it gets ;) Anyway, the CD was also sold at the merch stall during Bruce's last tour in November/December - also in Germany.

Thank you for the explanation herzchen! :D
0 x

nimhue
Your favourite Runrig song: Hearts Of Olden Glory
Favourite Album: Party On The Moor

Postby nimhue » Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:41 am

Owen wrote:Im not sure i agree that Bruce has less of a following in Canada, he regularly does Canadian shows and festivals and gets quite alot of exposure as a tv presenter too. Its not really that he is any less popular in the uk, a ton of Runrig fans would support his rise in the UK its just that everytime we seem to get close to it happening it falls apart, it has been attepted twice and for that reason i dont buy the got to go where the money is argument cause simply without Runrig hed be almost completely unknown in Germany, denmark or the UK, seems like the US get frustrated with never being able to see runrig, with the UK its deeply frustrating not being able to catch bruce live.

Bruce mentioned himself that the UK tour requires a lot of permits and other formalities which I suppose takes time and costs money. I'm sure he'd love to play in the UK as often as he does in Germany and Denmark. Let's try to understand it :-)
0 x
Cha d' dhùin dorus nach d'fhosgail dorus.

Return to “Other Music”