COAST

This section of the forum is for chat relating to other bands and artists including past and present band members solo work.
colyates
Your favourite Runrig song: stepping down the glory road
Favourite Album: the cutter and the c
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003

Re: COAST

Postby colyates » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:49 pm

They've added 2 dates in Scotland

Glasgow 11th May and Inverness 12th May

http://www.coastrock.co.uk/live.html
0 x

Celtman

Postby Celtman » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:10 pm

They are also playing Southampton in April
0 x
http://www.youtube.com/Celtman

Check out the runrig group "Runrig Fans" on facebook

Trousers
Favourite Gig: Chris de Burgh Support Act November 1988

Postby Trousers » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:52 am

For those not interested, look away now....

Here's some more info for the Glasgow gig on 11th May.

http://www.classicgrand.com/events/coas ... -echofela/

Coast with special guests Echofela

Tickets-Scotland

COAST hail from Southampton.

Having spent time in the Outer Hebrides as young men, Paul Eastham together with his brother Chris Barnes were moved and inspired by the people, the culture and the music, from which the grass roots of Coast emerged.

Coast’s unique sound will take you to the barren lands and shores of North Uist to the cold and bitter hard working docks of their home town, Southampton. Their potent sound, always delivered with power and passion, is both moving and dynamic. They stand proud of their amalgamated rock and Celtic roots.

These musicians are among the best you’ll hear today, and once heard, never forgotten. Their audiences are dancing one minute and silenced by beauty the next. Their live show will not only excite and move you, but connect and involve you.

The band played at the Tonder festival in Denmark in August 2010 leaving the audience gasping for more, so much so they were invited back in 2011; a rare occurrence for this festival. They spent most of last year playing major festivals in Europe; – in Denmark, Germany and Norway, and winning every audience every time.

One of the highlights was supporting Bryan Adams to an audience of 14.000 at the Tanzbrunnen in Cologne.

Their debut album, Coast, released in 2009 is packed full of great songs and has received fantastic reviews all of which are performed with heartfelt conviction. The second album “The Turning Stone was released in May 2011, and raised the bar considerably, and has proved a hit with the fast growing fan base across the UK and Europe. Coast launched “The Turning Stone” at the Ironworks in Inverness to great acclaim.

Coast have completed a sell out tour of Denmark in March 2012 and are preparing for more major events this year.

They have attracted interest from major industry executives in London, and their career is set to soar.

Coast are already well advanced in the demo stage for their 3rd album, and again it is a huge leap forward from the first two.

An emotionally-electric polarised journey best describes the Coast live experience, taking you to places without ever having to set foot there.

Here's a track by support act Echofela:

http://youtu.be/XzSM3e6j3nw

Sounds like a great band
0 x

Trousers
Favourite Gig: Chris de Burgh Support Act November 1988

Postby Trousers » Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:38 pm

I've just heard that COAST's gig at the Ironworks in Inverness on Saturday 12th May will be supported by special guests SLANJ!

Slanj is a collaboration of musicians from bands such as Skerryvore, The Red Hot Chilli Pipers and Manran.....check them out here: http://www.slanjband.com/meet-the-musicians/

And....drum roll (literally!).... special guest star drummer playing with Slanj will be.....none other than Runrig's Iain Bayne!

This promises to be a cracking night. Tickets available via the Coast homepage for those who fancy a bit of a springtime knees up!

http://www.coastrock.co.uk
0 x

Celtman

Postby Celtman » Wed May 02, 2012 7:38 am

I'm sure those going to the 2 scottish dates next week will have a great time
0 x

Celtman

Postby Celtman » Mon May 14, 2012 5:35 pm

Coast were great in Glasgow...but in Inverness they were simply outstanding

Here they are in Inverness doing the new version of The Ghost of Dan the Boy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQD2so-mz6o
0 x

Celtman

Postby Celtman » Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:50 am

New Coast song now on the website with video

http://www.coastrock.co.uk/
0 x

skyeman121
Global Moderator
Your favourite Runrig song: Abhainn An T-Sluaigh
Favourite Album: All of them !!
Favourite Gig: The next one !!

Postby skyeman121 » Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:48 am

I hear the talented guitarist Steve Pickens left the band this will be a huge miss, although on a positive note I'm sure they will soon find a replacement.
0 x
There must be a place under the sun
Where hearts of olden glory grow young

skyeman121
Global Moderator
Your favourite Runrig song: Abhainn An T-Sluaigh
Favourite Album: All of them !!
Favourite Gig: The next one !!

Re: COAST New Guitarist Andy Davey

Postby skyeman121 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:02 pm

Andy Davey - New Guitarist
Andy was born and raised in Southampton and is a keen cook and an avid Saints fan. Andy has a reputation for having a witty sense of humour and likes to drop in the odd impersonation every now and then (he's already got a decent version of Andrej in the bag!) but his main passion is music. His first and biggest influence is his father. Through him he was exposed to the amazing music of bands such as Dire Straits, Jimi Hendrix, Pink Floyd and early Fleetwood Mac.

Even though Andy was surrounded by music growing up, he didn't start playing until he was 17. However, he quickly became obsessed with guitar though, spending every hour he could with it (at the expense of sensible things like college) and developed his skills quite quickly. In 2005 Andy spent a year studying at BIMM to consolidate his knowledge and ever since then he's been plying his trade as a professional guitarist.
0 x
There must be a place under the sun
Where hearts of olden glory grow young

RunrigCorvusCoraxFan
Your favourite Runrig song: All
Favourite Album: All
Favourite Gig: All

Postby RunrigCorvusCoraxFan » Wed Nov 21, 2012 5:02 pm

I love Coast, and have Great Crowd and Coast on CD. All this talk about that Ruabhal is coping Malcolm Jones. Have a listen to Sky - Carillon, which is similar to Morning Light/Suilven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vj_VE8Ut1gA

This sound similar to Morning Light. You could On The Edge,in that also.
0 x
Know the Lord is Good
It is He who made us, and not we ourselves
We are His people and the sheep of His pasture - Pslams 100:3 NKJV

Syber
Your favourite Runrig song: Proterra, Book of golden stories
Favourite Album: Proterra
Favourite Gig: Beat the drum

Postby Syber » Wed Jun 26, 2013 11:12 am

Coast are returning to Scotland throughout July and August 2013!
Kicking off at TMF 20th of July followed by;
Stirling on the 23rd
Fort William on the 25th
Spey Fest on 27th and 28th
Kinlochbervie on the 30th
Applecross on the 31st
Skye on the 1st of August
Uist on the 2nd
Finishing in Stornoway on the 3rd!

Check out http://www.coast-official.com and http://www.syberpromotions.com for details and ticket info :)
0 x

RC
Your favourite Runrig song: The Ship
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground

Postby RC » Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:53 pm

I am so excited about seeing the band again. Looking like Stirling, Speyfest, Broadford and Applecross for me.... well Applecross if I pluck up the courage to dig out tent..... :D

For anyone who is still unsure about Coast.... They are simply getting better and better. Andy has been a very popular asset to the band and his guitar playing really needs to be heard.

As they are managed by our very own Iain Bayne, it would be great to support them as they once more make the long journey north to Scotland. Who know maybe Mr Bayne will buy all Riggies a drink.... Mine's a large Morgans sir!!!!
0 x
There is no return,
Once the seal's undone,
Morning dawning with life abounding,
But in time we all must fall,
And it seems to be this way,
Hearts change and brightness fades,
And it leaves you facing the days,
When your hope is blown apart,
Life is hard.

Only when the last tree has died & the last river has been poisoned & the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Lancs Dave2
Your favourite Runrig song: Ocean Road
Favourite Album: Everything You See
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003

Postby Lancs Dave2 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:26 pm

Kinlochbervie, Applecross and Uist seem expensive remote places for gigs but good luck to them. I went to see Duncan Chisholm in Tobermory last year and he only managed 15!! RC, if you go to Applecross, have fish and chips in the Applecross Inn!
0 x

RC
Your favourite Runrig song: The Ship
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground

Postby RC » Tue Jul 02, 2013 9:54 pm

Lancs Dave, The Applecross Inn is most defo on my list of things I need to do sometime soon.....

On another note, are any of the RR fans who are in Edinburgh in July still going to be in Scotland later that week?

Would be lovely to see any fans who are still around at the Coast gig in Stirling on 23rd July. They really are worth popping to Stirling to see and who knows you might get the chance to be up close and personal with their manager, RR's very own Iain Bayne..... :music:
0 x
There is no return,
Once the seal's undone,
Morning dawning with life abounding,
But in time we all must fall,
And it seems to be this way,
Hearts change and brightness fades,
And it leaves you facing the days,
When your hope is blown apart,
Life is hard.

Only when the last tree has died & the last river has been poisoned & the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Syber
Your favourite Runrig song: Proterra, Book of golden stories
Favourite Album: Proterra
Favourite Gig: Beat the drum

Postby Syber » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:15 am

They're all set to be cracking nights!
The passion and drive they have is so evident on stage it will literally leave you breathless!
0 x

Owen
Your favourite Runrig song: Somethings Got To Give
Favourite Album: Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Inverness 2012

Postby Owen » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:06 am

Annabell, I need to ask you if you like Skerryvore.
0 x

Owen

Postby Owen » Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:11 am

Annabel.f wrote:Hi there!
Martin, if I'm honest, no, I havent heard the full album.

Annabel, I find your comments about Coast and your statements about them rather sweeping and sensational. Sorry to say this but you discredited yourself a little bit when you said that you hadn't given the full Coast album a listen to, your comments therefore are some what rather hypocritical.

Also, what I find truly hypocritical is the fact that you have joined a Runrig forum but not on one occasion have you introduced yourself. You have gone on straight away to criticise the fact that posts about Coast have more feedback than posts about Brian Hurren's album but yet you have visited no other section of this forum other than 'other music' and you yourself have not participated in any discussions about Brian Hurren so to go on making that statement without actually having done it yourself gives your comments on that side of things absolutely no credit at all.

As for the whole Coast/Runrig thing, its getting a little bit 'old hat' now and I find it rather amazing that you seem to be completely closed off about the idea that bands share influences and styles and you make it sound like having been influenced from a band or artist is the crime of the century. Regardless of who you listen to, every single artist/band in the world draws influences from somewhere it just happens to be that Coast are a Celtic Rock band and their influences, whether intentional or not are drawn from Runrig, Big Country and so forth. Given Runrigs massive stature in the world of Celtic, Folk and Rock it would be hard to be a young Celtic Rock band growing up and not be in some way influenced by Runrig - the fact is that whether you like it or not (its not event subjective) Runrig are the Elvis of their genre - No one does it better than Runrig and like I say, it would be very hard not to be influenced in someway by that if you were building up a Celtic Rock band.

Another sweeping statement that you make, which to be fair as a Runrig fan I find rather insulting. My mouth almost dropped when I read it. You stated that Coast have gained bigger following due to the fact that they have deliberately targeted an already established Runrig fan base. I think it would like to clearly state that I would like to give Runrig fans the benefit of the doubt that they can make up their own minds about whether or not they like Coast without the need to be brain washed by Coast, which is effectively what you are accusing them off.

You've made plenty of sweeping thoughts annabel, so here is mine. Truth is, I don't think that you are a Runrig fan, I don't think you particularly care much about Brians album and I am certainly under no illusions that you are not a fan of Coast. Truth is, I think that you are or have recently become aware of all these connections between Brian Hurren, Coast and Runrig and you have just joined this board to try and create a divide. That may not be the case Annabel but your trial throughout this forum tells me otherwise.

If you are going to make such sweeping remark Annabel, at least make sure that you are not discrediting yourself by looking like a hypocrite.

I may be wrong Annabel, but if you have come to cause trouble here and try and create that divide, I would warn you that this is a very strong community that look after one and other very well. Many have tried to cause a divide between us on this forum in the past, it has failed time and time again because we fail to be brainwashed by people who seem to think that they are better than us because they listen to and have been brainwashed by the mainstream pop act industry. If you are not going to participate in any Runrig discussion and have just come here to try and draw and divide between us Annabel, please leave now because you are wasting your time, it will not work.

And, for the Record. I am a Coast fan, I first heard them not through Runrig but on my very own merits.
0 x

puffin
Engine Room

Postby puffin » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:57 am

Owen - just to point out (in case you hadn't realised) that Annabel's post is now 18 months old, having been made in January 2012. As she hasn't returned I suspect she may have been trolling just a bit. ;) It seems that she herself made the "error" of going to see Coast in the mistaken belief they would be like Runrig and was disappointed when they were not and so joined this forum to complain! :lol:
0 x
And I dream of a day when our superficial gaze
is replaced with something more real
And the lines on the face are a thing to celebrate
for the tales that they tell

[FolkLaw c.Nick Gibbs 'The Tales That They Tell']

Owen

Postby Owen » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:58 am

puffin wrote:Owen - just to point out (in case you hadn't realised) that Annabel's post is now 18 months old, having been made in January 2012. As she hasn't returned I suspect she may have been trolling just a bit. ;) It seems that she herself made the "error" of going to see Coast in the mistaken belief they would be like Runrig and was disappointed when they were not and so joined this forum to complain! :lol:

OOoops!!!! :oops: Forgive me, I do not get out much nowadays LOL and not as frequent on here as I used to be so I completely missed the date that the subject concerned was posted. On the plus side, I guess that makes me pretty much right on the feeling that I thought that he/she was just on here to try and create a divide, quite funny actually, seems he/she failed dramatically. As a Runrig fan, I found her post to be rather insulting and i'm glad that he/she is no longer around.
0 x

puffin
Engine Room

Postby puffin » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:45 pm

Will you be seeing Coast on any of their forthcoming Scottish dates (I am assuming here that you are Scotland-based)? If so, you are in for a real treat - some great new material, some old favourites, a new twist on familiar songs from Andy's guitar playing... :love: :thumbsup:

See Syber, Puffins can promote too! ;) :-D
0 x
And I dream of a day when our superficial gaze
is replaced with something more real
And the lines on the face are a thing to celebrate
for the tales that they tell

[FolkLaw c.Nick Gibbs 'The Tales That They Tell']

Return to “Other Music”