COAST

This section of the forum is for chat relating to other bands and artists including past and present band members solo work.
WaterWolf
Your favourite Runrig song: Right now: In Scandinavia
Favourite Gig: Scone 09!

Re: COAST

Postby WaterWolf » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:41 pm

usrunrigfan wrote:Does anybody else think the guitar at the end of the first song is very much like the end of the live version of "Running to the Light" from the last anniversay tour?

Paul Eastham wrote that himself on facebook, that it was supposed to be a little tribute to Runrig, and I didn't notice it before I read that even though I had been hearing that track nonstop over a month at that time :oops:
0 x
Good happiness is shared

usrunrigfan

Postby usrunrigfan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:05 am

Now that you mention that, I think I remember reading someone else saying that.
"Running to the Light" is one of my favorites, so I recognized the lick the first time I heard it.

(I'm glad you had a fun trip, by the way)
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

DaveyTee
Your favourite Runrig song: Loch Lomond, This Darkest Winter, Skye.
Favourite Album: Once in a Lifetime
Favourite Gig: Wolverhampton '93

Postby DaveyTee » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:58 am

usrunrigfan wrote:I have listened to it three times. I like the first few tracks but have to say I find the majority of the songs good, but a bit of a let down from the high energy stuff on the debut CD. It's not that I don't like them, just a bit sleepier than I expected.
That's exactly how I felt. Whereas most Coast fans on their MB said they preferred "The Turning Stone" to the first album, I was a bit disappointed that it contained so many slower songs and I felt that the sequence of songs on the album was all wrong. Since then I have to admit that "The Turning Stone" has grown on me, but I still think that the running order on the album was wrong (I've remedied that on my MP3 player) and even although they are very good I'd still have liked to replace one of the slower numbers with something a bit more upbeat.

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

tiz
Your favourite Runrig song: Abhainn
Favourite Gig: To many good one for a favourite

Postby tiz » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:05 am

I agree the running order could have been better. Try mixing both cds and playing them on shuffle
0 x

DaveyTee
Your favourite Runrig song: Loch Lomond, This Darkest Winter, Skye.
Favourite Album: Once in a Lifetime
Favourite Gig: Wolverhampton '93

Postby DaveyTee » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:02 am

tiz wrote:Try mixing both cds and playing them on shuffle
Basically what I've done, Tiz, except that I've put them in my preferred order - "shuffle" on my player quite often seems to favour some songs over others so I get more of them and not much of others.

DT
0 x
Scottish, not British.

usrunrigfan

Postby usrunrigfan » Tue Jul 19, 2011 8:30 pm

[quote="DaveyTeeWhereas most Coast fans on their MB said they preferred "The Turning Stone" to the first album, good I'd still have liked to replace one of the slower numbers with something a bit more upbeat.

DT[/quote]

If I had to pick, I would say I liked the debut better. I like both, though.
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

tiz
Your favourite Runrig song: Abhainn
Favourite Gig: To many good one for a favourite

Postby tiz » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:28 pm

Daveyt you show me yours ill show mine. I have saved mine and i think its a stunning double album.
0 x

WaterWolf
Your favourite Runrig song: Right now: In Scandinavia
Favourite Gig: Scone 09!

Postby WaterWolf » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:59 pm

usrunrigfan wrote:Now that you mention that, I think I remember reading someone else saying that.
"Running to the Light" is one of my favorites, so I recognized the lick the first time I heard it.

(I'm glad you had a fun trip, by the way)

Haha, I think it was me saying that he had written it the first time as well, but just another one mentioning the similarity between the two guitarparts ;)

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5046&start=200

( Thank you :) )
0 x
Good happiness is shared

skyeman121
Global Moderator
Your favourite Runrig song: Abhainn An T-Sluaigh
Favourite Album: All of them !!
Favourite Gig: The next one !!

Coast in Portree

Postby skyeman121 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:50 pm

Coast will be appearingin the Royal Hotel on Thursday 18th August. Should be good looking forward to it :)
0 x
There must be a place under the sun
Where hearts of olden glory grow young

Trousers
Favourite Gig: Chris de Burgh Support Act November 1988

Re: Coast in Portree

Postby Trousers » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:50 pm

skyeman121 wrote:Coast will be appearing in the Royal Hotel on Thursday 18th August. Should be good looking forward to it :)

Cheers John.

For those interested, the guys are doing a few other dates that week too:

Wednesday 17 August - Strathpeffer Pavilion
Thursday 18 August - Royal Hotel, Portree
Friday 19 August - Royal British Legion, Stornoway
Saturday 20 August - Dark Island Hotel, Benbecula

They then head off to Tonder in Denmark for a 4 night stint there (25th - 28th August)

All the best,
Martin
0 x

Trousers

Postby Trousers » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:12 pm

Hello!

Interesting to see the views on the new COAST album and the comparisons with the first.

Here's my take on it - mainly a personal view but with an insight into the concept behind it.

The second album is certainly deeper, and perhaps darker, than the first. It was always going to end up that way as it is a direct reflection of the somewhat choppy waters that the band have had to navigate during its conception and creation. It also deals with the pain of the personal loss of a loved one.

I think it's fair to say that the first album was a patchwork 'showcase' of songs that ended up working really well together. In that sense it has a certain simplicity and innocence that makes it more instantly accessible.

The second album is more of a concept album in construction. It's largely about Southampton - a somewhat sprawling urban landscape - most famous for its docks and under achieving football team! It's about the working man (or woman) keeping their nose to the grindstone and, from the band's perspective, it's about looking beyond the city limits and exploring new territories and taking on new challenges.

So, we start off with 'The Caller' - a song about the toils of the manual worker, specifically doffing a cap to generations of miners and the sacrifices they made.

'Road Outta This Town' is about the desire to break away from the shackles of one's hometown and see the world beyond. It's also a reflection on those that have supported your beliefs and dreams for many years but are no longer here to see the results.

'The Turning Stone' brings the sentiments from 'The Caller' closer to home and reflects the 'grindstone' of the daily routine to and from the often mundane day job.

Next up we have 'Fields of Blood'. Again, this song plucks an element from a preceding song (Road Outta This Town) and is about the anniversary of losing a loved one - someone who is no longer here to share your journey and how the pain never goes away.

'The Ghost of Dan the Boy' takes us back to a New Years Eve in Southampton many years ago, where a young boy went missing, feared drowned. He was never found. The song is about letting go of a ghost that has haunted the mind ever since.

'The Beat of You' is more abstract in the context of the album in that it's about relationships and wanting to be with someone that is out of reach. Metaphorically though, you can tie this song in with 'Road Outta This Town' - wanting to be somewhere else with someone else.

'The Docks of My Hometown' is somewhat self explanatory. It reflects on the history of Southampton which is both dark and inspiring in equal measures - from the pounding it received during WWII to the mixed fortunes of the ships that sailed from there.

With 'Victory O' we move from the docks of Southampton to Nelson's flagship the HMS Victory which is berthed just along the coast in Portsmouth. This is a historical song. It's about the battle of Trafalgar but written in the perspective of Lady Hamilton and Lord Nelson
writing to each other in a love letter. The song builds as the life becomes more drained from Lord Nelson who has been injured. Towards the end the song portrays the calm after the storm as the Victory sails away damaged and torn with the Admiral who has just passed away. But Emma Hamilton still lives in hope that he will return alive. This song pays homage to not only British fleets but also the Spanish whom also lost their lives.

And we end with 'Valley High Valley Low' which, fittingly within the concept of the album, is the last song - it is a song of hope. It was written on the road to Scotland just after the floods in Cumbria that year. It conveys the beauty of nature and icy, snowy hilltops in the north of England and Scotland.

In summary, I think the second album has many more layers and depth than the first. The more you peel back the more is revealed. It reflects the dark yet inspiring subject matter and has threads of continuity running through it from beginning to end. It's not just a collection of songs per se - it's an attempt to convey where you've come from, what's happened along the way and where you're going.

One things for sure....I can't wait for the next one!

Cheers,
Martin
0 x

Spud
Your favourite Runrig song: Every River
Favourite Album: Party On The Muir
Favourite Gig: Party On The Muir 2013

Postby Spud » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:40 pm

Thanks for that Lord Trousers. Whilst I had an incline on a couple of songs I did long to know the meaning of the others, but was too scared to ask in fear that they were private reasons. As we know, artists can write from a dark place and not necessarily wish for others to know the real meanings behind their work.

Much appreciated mate :rose:
0 x
http://manran.co.uk/

I'm only a little bear, I need hugs.....
A bear is for life, not just for Christmas - haha!!

http://manran.co.uk

Data1964
Chief joke-teller
Your favourite Runrig song: Chi Mi'n Geamhreadh, Every River
Favourite Album: The Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Bristol 05, BORLUM 07

Postby Data1964 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:28 am

My thanks for that also Martin, like Spuddie was curious about the stories behind the songs,

PS, wonderful album.
0 x
Grant me absolute forgiveness for the fool I am!

A h-uile là sona dhuibh 's gun là idir dona dhuib.

Tha mo bhàta-foluaimein loma-làn easgannan

Trousers

Postby Trousers » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:21 am

0 x

usrunrigfan

Postby usrunrigfan » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:13 am

You're right, Martin. The more I have listened to it, the more I like and understand it.
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

skyeman121
Global Moderator
Your favourite Runrig song: Abhainn An T-Sluaigh
Favourite Album: All of them !!
Favourite Gig: The next one !!

Coast On Skye Thursday 18th August Review

Postby skyeman121 » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:59 pm

Hi Folks
I went to the gig along with run132 (Craig) with an open mind, as we'd never heard them live before. They were excellent in my opinion.I'm sure Craig will tell you what he thought.

Anyway I thought they were very tight , mix perfect but the venue was a definate no no.
First off I've been playing coast on Cuillin FM for well over a year now and always got good responses to their music. Trouble was too many folk on Skye had still never heard of them and with the gig being on a Thursday night and ticket prices at £20 did'nt help matters. I met the band at dinnertime and they are a nice bunch of lads with no front to them at all. I know this was more of a fact finding/ get to know you tour and the Royal probably upped the price as they were putting them up but this I'm afraid put Skye folk off. The venue was too small ( a local hotel). I know sometimes scheduling does'nt allow to be picky and choosey but a Friday or Saturday night in the Skye Gathering Hall with wee bit more publicity and ticket prices about £14 ( no criticism intended Iain) would have been much better. Skerryvore played a few weeks ago there and the accoustics and sound were much better. Saying that though the music was excellent and the folk that were there, including me, totally enjoyed the evening. As an unbiased listener I'd give them a resounding 8 out of 10 :) Slainte
0 x
There must be a place under the sun
Where hearts of olden glory grow young

Spud

Postby Spud » Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:29 pm

Thanks for the update John, I've not heard from from anyone other than Inga. I did wonder if the Royal was the best place, but I've only been in it once so didn't want to say anything in case I put some noses out of joint.

Let's hope it doesn't put people off and they would go to another gig :)
0 x

puffin
Engine Room

Postby puffin » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:46 pm

We suggested - no, advised! - the lady who owns the cottage we stay in on Skye that she should go along as she'd be in for a great night out with Coast :music: but that was before we knew how much the tickets were, so I don't know yet whether she went or not. :( If she did go, and didn't like them, I fear there may be an extra 40 quid added to our bill! :shock: ;)
0 x
And I dream of a day when our superficial gaze
is replaced with something more real
And the lines on the face are a thing to celebrate
for the tales that they tell

[FolkLaw c.Nick Gibbs 'The Tales That They Tell']

Spud

Postby Spud » Sun Aug 21, 2011 12:17 pm

puffin wrote:If she did go, and didn't like them, I fear there may be an extra 40 quid added to our bill! :shock: ;)

I'd add £40 just because it's you :lol: :P *spud hides*
0 x

puffin
Engine Room

Postby puffin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:47 pm

Spud wrote:
puffin wrote:If she did go, and didn't like them, I fear there may be an extra 40 quid added to our bill! :shock: ;)

I'd add £40 just because it's you :lol: :P *spud hides*

*SMACK!!!!*
:twisted: :-P :twisted:
0 x
And I dream of a day when our superficial gaze
is replaced with something more real
And the lines on the face are a thing to celebrate
for the tales that they tell

[FolkLaw c.Nick Gibbs 'The Tales That They Tell']

Return to “Other Music”