COAST

This section of the forum is for chat relating to other bands and artists including past and present band members solo work.
doublevc
Your favourite Runrig song: The Cutter/Leaving Strathconan/YOTF
Favourite Album: The Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Stirling Castle 2003/Barras 2008 (Fri)

Re: COAST

Postby doublevc » Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:55 pm

I'd stayed out the serious Coast debate as I wasn't in a position to make proper comment having not heard their music (although in the early days I did wind Trousers up about them being a RR tribute/the new RR :lol: ).

Anyhows I took the chance to see them live locally at the Dark Island on Saturday night and I've got to say I was impressed. Now admittedly I'd had a few sherbets and can't specifically remember any of the tunes (one called Rueval!) but 1) they rocked 2) they stuck to their guns and played all their own stuff when it would have been easy to sell out and do some covers to impress the sparse crowd. I did manage to blag a setlist and have just downloaded their 1st album (if anyone knows where to download songs off 'The Turning Stone' it would be appreciated). The guys seemed to have a blast despite the disappointing turn out and I would recommend if you get the chance to catch them.

Also had the pleasure to speak to/annoy Mr Bayne. He said the boys would be great and his word stood up. When quizzed about RR in the next few years he said 'big plans'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just two tips for Coast
1) to many 'come on Benbeculas!!!!!!!!!!!!'. Although trying to gee up the crowd I know (despite the booze) where I am
2) ditch Sandie the support. I knew she couldn't sing but other people in my company couldn't believe the racket

Not going to criticise the venue or prices as I am not aware how much input they had into this.

All in all a good night out and I would say they lived up to the plaudits on here
0 x
Can anyone explain?

Sheltie
Your favourite Runrig song: The Greatest Flame
Favourite Album: EYS
Favourite Gig: The next one!

Postby Sheltie » Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:20 am

doublevc wrote:Dark Island on Saturday night

Have to admit I was very surprised at this place as a venue for Coast. We passed it when we were up earlier in the year and it's a bit - um what shall we say - out in the sticks! OK I know, so are most places but at least Lochmaddy seems a little more populated. I'm sure someone will put me right if I'm wrong ;) Also I happen to know it's one of the places Shearings use on their Coach trips. And no - I haven't been on one - yet :roll: but I had this naughty picture in my head of an audience of over 70's moaning about the loud 'rock' music. :lol: :lol: Wish it had been on whilst we were up though :cry:
0 x

WaterWolf
Your favourite Runrig song: Right now: In Scandinavia
Favourite Gig: Scone 09!

Postby WaterWolf » Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:40 pm

Just came home to the place we're staying after the first night at Tønder! Coast were amazing! :D It was just such a fantastic show! Really wonderful! and lucky/happy me was in second row, behind a short person (which is good 'cause I'm short as well) so I could see everything on stage ;) The songs they played were great! The energy was great! The Tønder audience managed to mess up the singalong to Oceanos again, just as they did last year, and again we had a laugh about it! ;) Iain joined in on Docks of my Hometown near the end of the set, and they had three ladies (I didn't catch where they were from) on strings on three different songs. I also got my cd signed afterwards!!! :D :D And Chris signed as: Barnzee, while Paul signed as: Paul Eastchicken :P Only two downsides: It was over waaaay to quick!!!! (but that's the case with good concerts isn't it?) and then there was a drunk lady who kept throwing me off balance by bumping into me over and over and over :x
0 x
Good happiness is shared

rig

Postby rig » Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:37 pm

Thanks Waterwolf! :rose:

They are on again tonight - good luck to them.
0 x

The colour frontier
The ageing light
The sight that knows no fear

run132
Engine Room
Your favourite Runrig song: Impossible to say!
Favourite Album: Em, all of them!
Favourite Gig: Too many to list!

Postby run132 » Fri Aug 26, 2011 8:54 pm

Thought I would add my thoughts about the Portree gig. As has been said, the venue was not really suitable but the band got their heads down and made the most of it.

I went with an open mind, as they had not really pushed my buttons with their albums to that point. I thought that if I come away being impressed in such a venue (even though it was Portree!) then they would be doing a good job. I was impressed! They were tight and played with a lot of energy. I was particularly impressed with Steve Pickham given he is relatively new to the band. You could tell from the first couple of songs that he knew his way around a guitar! Not a well as ‘you know who’ but then again, no one is in my eyes!!

We had a good chat with Mungo, Steve and Paul after the gig (good to see Paul is a ‘Peroni Boy’ as well!). Paul was especially patient with a ‘lady’ who had one or two sherbets and was giving him some advice on his albums! I soon dragged her away and took her home! Sorry Paul!

I am listening to their albums with a different ear since the gig and they are growing on me – slowly! The band seem to be going the right way and it looks like their new contacts are opening up new markets for them. Good luck to them and I am sure I’ll see them again before too long. Maybe not next year though (at least not as headliners) as I have a feeling my diary will be full of Runrig gigs!
0 x

tiz
Your favourite Runrig song: Abhainn
Favourite Gig: To many good one for a favourite

Postby tiz » Tue Aug 30, 2011 12:44 pm

Have you seen this guys. Bruce Guthro and Paul Eastham

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=home#!/vid ... 1&comments
Last edited by tiz on Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

puffin
Engine Room

Postby puffin » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:08 pm

run132 wrote: I was particularly impressed with Steve Pickham...
We had a good chat with Mungo, Steve and Paul after the gig (good to see Paul is a ‘Peroni Boy’ as well!). Paul was especially patient with a ‘lady’ who had one or two sherbets and was giving him some advice on his albums! I soon dragged her away and took her home! Sorry Paul!

A couple of teeny little pointers if you're going to be a Coaster... ;)
It's Steve Picken :guitar: :love: and Mongo :drums: ! :D

The lady we hoped would be at the Portree gig wasn't able to go as she was unwell but we have given her the CDs and she is now converted! :music:
0 x
And I dream of a day when our superficial gaze
is replaced with something more real
And the lines on the face are a thing to celebrate
for the tales that they tell

[FolkLaw c.Nick Gibbs 'The Tales That They Tell']

tiz
Your favourite Runrig song: Abhainn
Favourite Gig: To many good one for a favourite

Postby tiz » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:19 am

0 x

Annabel.f
Your favourite Runrig song: Sona
Favourite Album: Stamping Ground
Favourite Gig: Heb Celt

Postby Annabel.f » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:32 pm

Hi there,

I was flicking through these pages and felt compelled to write a little regarding Coast. I have been a Runrig fan for many years and I actually went to see Coast in the Ironworks when they were up having heard very little of their music. I'd heard that there were similarities between them and Runrig so my sister and I thought we'd give it a go. I have to say I was very unimpressed. I didn't see any similarities to Runrig, simply uncomfortable attempts to copy and recreate something that has already been done. I can't think of another word other than uncomfortable to describe my feelings that evening. I didn't hate the music or anything, I just didn't get it and found it - dare I say - a little cheesy :zipit: . As a Runrig fan, I embarrassingly felt rather hostile and angry at it all. Everything to me felt like a poor man's Runrig, from the stage layout, the guitar riffs, some lyrical things, I could go on. When Runrig were at Coast's level, they were young, innovative, exciting and to a young Gael at the time, an outlet to be Gaeltacht and be fiercely proud of it. They were one of us and still are. Coast do not have this.

I appreciate that I am probably within the minority within this forum but I feel there is a hell of a lot more interesting and innovative music going on right now! I love Runrig and have seen them countless times and will continue to do so having got tickets for the Inverness show for Christmas!

Ha rant over

Ax
0 x

Trousers
Favourite Gig: Chris de Burgh Support Act November 1988

Postby Trousers » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:14 am

Hi Anabel,

Interesting observations - thanks for sharing.

I think you highlight that everyone has different opinions and yours is as valid as anyone's.

I have plenty of friends that have similar opinions about Runrig's music when they compare them to other bands...well, I call them friends! :-)

I've met many people who you could probably describe as "former COAST sceptics" who, having seen them live last year and listened to their albums for the first time, are now borderline fanatics! It works boths ways.

Thanks again for taking the time to offer up an alternative viewpoint even though I respectfully disagree with most of what you say.

By the way, what do you think of their studio music?

Cheers,
Martin
0 x

RC
Your favourite Runrig song: The Ship

Postby RC » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:18 pm

Interesting first post Anabel...... :shock: Welcome to the RUNRIG MB!
0 x
There is no return,
Once the seal's undone,
Morning dawning with life abounding,
But in time we all must fall,
And it seems to be this way,
Hearts change and brightness fades,
And it leaves you facing the days,
When your hope is blown apart,
Life is hard.

Only when the last tree has died & the last river has been poisoned & the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Annabel.f

Postby Annabel.f » Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:29 pm

Hi there!
Martin, if I'm honest, no, I havent heard the full album. All I've heard of the recorded stuff is on youtube etc so I'm not in a position to make a completely informed opinion on the band's records. In respone to what you said, I have had a more indepth listen, again, really just on youtube. It's fine, the last thing i want to do is offend anyone, but in the interest of discussion, I still find it all a little cheesy. I know in the past some people have said this of Runrig (the Loch Lomond brigade who wouldn't know Recovery if it was shot between their eyes), but for me Runrig are as credible a band as you get. For me they're up there with the Stones, Dylans, Knoflers etc etc of this world. I find Coast have a bit of a pub band feel to them. As I said, I don't hate it. It's perfectly listenable it just doesn't stir me, I don't buy into it. I think it's a little dated. I am speaking here as if I'm an expert. I'm not, I just like what I like. RC, I don't usually post on these forums as I'm a little out of my comfort zone when it comes to internet etc but I felt I wanted to have an opinion on this matter.

Music aside, the celtic design thing in place of the 'o' in Coast does them no favours. Again, possibly a little controversial but my opinion none the less...but that's just my ex art student side coming out! I'm a Gaelic speaker brought up in the Hebrides, very much within Highland tradition which I assume is a bit of a target market for the band so thought I'd offer these opinions. I am always open to being proved wrong and if you send me a link to something that might change my mind, I will give it time.
0 x

usrunrigfan

Postby usrunrigfan » Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:49 pm

Annabel.f, everyone has their own tastes and opinions. Some of mine are minority, I dare say. Here's just a thought. I like Coast a great deal and I love Runrig, but I have heard some youtube posts of both, that if it were my first listen, I'd have thought they were awful and probably never listened again, so, like Trousers suggested, give a bit more listen to other songs, maybe studio stuff and it might grow on you. If not, hey, you gave them a chance.

One of my thoughts that could be minority; I , adore Runrig, so I like bands that are simlilar, whether it is a copy or a tribute, I just like the sound. As far as I am concerned I agree that Runrig is right up there with the tops bands ever and there will never be another, but it's ok to me if another band sounds like them. I just posted that the guitar in some Saw Doctors songs sound like Malcolm's style. That's ok, I still like it, no matter who is playing it.
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

ianburnett
Your favourite Runrig song: Hearthammer
Favourite Album: The Big Wheel
Favourite Gig: Party on the Moor!

Postby ianburnett » Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:09 pm

I think it depends what album material you listen to. The first album "Coast" has a heavy Runrig/Big Country influence whereas "The Turning Stone" has a wider range of material, with a couple of obvious tributes to Runrig and Bruce Springsteen.
0 x
"He who hingeth aboot geteth hee haw!"

My Music Page - www.ianburnettmusic.com

Annabel.f

Postby Annabel.f » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:01 pm

With all due respect, why does an up and coming band, feel the need 'pay tribute' to other established artists? The words 'pay tribute' (which I've seen on this forum - or words to that effect - when it comes to the Coast / Runrig relationship) annoy me a little. To me it implies a certain arrogance (I don't know if Coast themselves have ever mentioned it but I'm sure I read something about a doffing of a hat somewhere on this forum) Now that's something Springsteen does to Orbison so beautifully and tastefully in his unique, irresistible way, the same cannot be said in this instance. There's a difference between taking inspiration and paying tribute. Whether intentional or not, if you type into youtube 'Coast Runrig' some songs that come up are 'The Beat of You', 'Big Blue Sky', 'Sepia Eyes', 'Sunset over Vallay strand' which all have echos of Runrig songs before the first note is even played. This is inevitably is followed by the Malcolmesque guitar and Brucesque vocal. That track Ruabhal that is simply a copy of On the Edge. I can't help feeling that Runrig fans have been targeted as an easy sale as the music is so similar and Iain is their manager (something, to my shame, I only recently realised). And the Coast overload is not from Iain himself! Sorry, I know some folk obviously do not feel the way I do and the last thing I want to do is say that I don't believe you can't be a Coast fan and a Runrig fan simultaneously. I just can't help but feel that Coast have gained a significant amount of fans on the back of Runrig which to me is not very healthy.

Also, I don't understand why Coast receive more feedback and discussion than Brian's album on this forum?! I'm sure there will be disagreement to what I've said. These are just my honest opinions and by no means meant as a slagging!! Everyone is entitled to that and i look forward to hearing more of yours. I must stress I don't hate the music.

Ax
0 x

usrunrigfan

Postby usrunrigfan » Mon Jan 16, 2012 11:18 pm

Annabel.f wrote:Also, I don't understand why Coast receive more feedback and discussion than Brian's album on this forum?! Ax

I thought Brian's CD was absolutely wonderful. As far as discussion goes, maybe we all agreed it was great, where the opinions on Coast are more varied. This is pulling an idea out of thin air, of course.
0 x
Tha e math a bhith beò!

Spud
Your favourite Runrig song: Every River
Favourite Album: Party On The Muir
Favourite Gig: Party On The Muir 2013

Postby Spud » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:41 am

I love Coast, amongst many other bands, and have a varied CD collection of artists and bands. I feel their music is inspirational and uplifting. Runrig's music has the same effect but on a deeper and more meaningful scale. For that reason, I do not, personally, see a connection between the two bands. That does not mean that I recognise and respect the opinions of others though :) .

Coast started out as a pub band and accumulated a fan base in their home town of Southampton. I feel that the connection between Coast and Scotland is not intentional of the band in order to manipulate an already established fan base but more on a personal level, as members were brought up in the Hebrides. I cannot remember how Coast came about to be a topic on this forum so correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was an avid fan of music in general that highlighted them initially.

All musicians have their influences and I feel that 'paying tribute' to them through their music is quite an admiral thing to do. That is just my opinion of course, and something that I would do out of respect. I feel that is where the band were coming from on that issue.

Coast have openly stated they are not Runrig and they never intend to be. However, they are long time fans of the band so it is expected that musical influences will be apparent now and again. I feel that going to a Coast gig with the expectation of hearing Runrig is not a good thing. Please don't take that the wrong way, you are totally right to feel and experience what you have and it is not my intention to impose my feelings on you.
0 x
http://manran.co.uk/

I'm only a little bear, I need hugs.....
A bear is for life, not just for Christmas - haha!!

http://manran.co.uk

RC
Your favourite Runrig song: The Ship

Postby RC » Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:06 am

As two of the band spent some of their youth living in the Western Isles and grew up in a Runrig loving family, there are obviously going to be huge Runrig and/or Celtic inspired influences in both their music and their use of a celtic design on their logo..... :)

I am still interested why a new member would join here and only discuss the band that this forum actually isn't about!!! You compare the number of comments on this thread, to the number of comments on the thread about Brian's new album..... Interestingly enough this new poster has only posted on the Coast thread and not a word on the Brian thread..... Okay, I am probably wrong here, but this has happened before.... ;)

And if you look back to the very beginning, although a lot of the hatred has been deleted, you will find that, historically, it has possibly done Coast more harm than good by being linked to Runrig by fans.... The link was not made by them, it was made by fans who heard them, liked them and wanted to share them with other like minded people. I would have to disagree with the statement that Coast have taken fans on the back of Runrig.... There is a long and very unpleasant history, and I am sure that there have been many occasions, when the Coast lads wish their names had never been brought up on this forum. :)
0 x
There is no return,
Once the seal's undone,
Morning dawning with life abounding,
But in time we all must fall,
And it seems to be this way,
Hearts change and brightness fades,
And it leaves you facing the days,
When your hope is blown apart,
Life is hard.

Only when the last tree has died & the last river has been poisoned & the last fish has been caught, will we realise that we cannot eat money.

Crunchie
Forum Admin

Postby Crunchie » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:52 am

RC wrote:I am still interested why a new member would join here and only discuss the band that this forum actually isn't about!!! You compare the number of comments on this thread, to the number of comments on the thread about Brian's new album..... Interestingly enough this new poster has only posted on the Coast thread and not a word on the Brian thread..... Okay, I am probably wrong here, but this has happened before.... ;)

We seem to have a fair few members register to talk either exclusively or mostly about other bands on the forum which is a little odd but as long as none of the forum rules are being broken it's not really a problem.

Most of the members that have posted about Coast and no one else only had positive things to say about them. :)
0 x

Trousers
Favourite Gig: Chris de Burgh Support Act November 1988

Postby Trousers » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:18 pm

Hi there Anabel.

Thanks for your reply. A few further thoughts from me below to address the points you raise:

Annabel.f wrote:With all due respect, why does an up and coming band, feel the need 'pay tribute' to other established artists?
They don't "feel the need", as such its a moot point.

Annabel.f wrote:The words 'pay tribute' (which I've seen on this forum - or words to that effect - when it comes to the Coast / Runrig relationship) annoy me a little.
Again, the band never set out to "pay tribute" to Runrig. They are simply one of several musical influences that every band injects (concsiously or subconsciously) into their own music. If people perceive that the band have set out to emulate Runrig then that's a valid observation per se, however, perception and reality can often be completely different.

Annabel.f wrote:To me it implies a certain arrogance (I don't know if Coast themselves have ever mentioned it but I'm sure I read something about a doffing of a hat somewhere on this forum) Now that's something Springsteen does to Orbison so beautifully and tastefully in his unique, irresistible way, the same cannot be said in this instance. There's a difference between taking inspiration and paying tribute.
Again, I can reassure you (or perhaps I can't?!) that COAST "doff their hat" to many musical influences in the same way that other artists do. In COAST you can hear influences from the likes of Runrig, Big Country, Mark Knopfler, Chris de Burgh, Bruce Springsteen, John Lennon....I could go on. Arguing whether they do it as well as other artists will always be a subjective debate. You seem to have this fixation with the word "tribute" and endeavour to differentiate this from "influence". That gives the impression of trying to find a difference for the sake of doing so. That said, perhaps it's now it's my turn to potential mis-perceive something... ;-)

By the way, and for what it's worth, the act of "doffing" means to show respect. If you're suggesting that a band shouldn't respect their influences then one might venture that that is a somewhat strange stance to take.

Annabel.f wrote: Whether intentional or not, if you type into youtube 'Coast Runrig' some songs that come up are 'The Beat of You', 'Big Blue Sky', 'Sepia Eyes', 'Sunset over Vallay strand' which all have echos of Runrig songs before the first note is even played.
Of course the band are going to have song names that follow a similar vein to the music that influences them. They are hardly going to call one of their songs "Culled Badgers of Doom" in hommage to an Ozzie Osbourne song are they? They sing about people, places and historical events ergo their song titles will follow suit.

Annabel.f wrote:This is inevitably is followed by the Malcolmesque guitar and Brucesque vocal. That track Ruabhal that is simply a copy of On the Edge.
Some valid observations there and there are similarities in some songs for the reasons already given. I disagree with Ruabhal. Once again, it contains influences but it's not a copy. You sometimes need to scratch below the surface in music to hear the wealth of differences beneath. There are probably 100s of pop songs you could say, at the same superficial level, are echos of The Beatles or such like but there are plenty of bands who wouldn't be around today if absolute uniqueness was a success criteria.

Annabel.f wrote:I can't help feeling that Runrig fans have been targeted as an easy sale as the music is so similar
I would venture that Runrig fans are more intelligent than you imply and can make an informed decision as to whether they want to buy into something they either like or dislike. Afterall, when you distill musical tastes that's what it boils down to: "Do I like that song? Yes. Ok, I'll buy that". It's not something that we need to trouble NASA with.

Annabel.f wrote:and Iain is their manager (something, to my shame, I only recently realised). And the Coast overload is not from Iain himself!
The fact that you didn't realise that Iain is their manager speaks volumes and is more of an indication that the band aren't trying to ride on the coat tails of Runrig (as you suggest). Iain has purposely kept a relatively low profile so that the band fail or succeed on their own merits.

Annabel.f wrote:Sorry, I know some folk obviously do not feel the way I do and the last thing I want to do is say that I don't believe you can't be a Coast fan and a Runrig fan simultaneously. I just can't help but feel that Coast have gained a significant amount of fans on the back of Runrig which to me is not very healthy.
Again, I don't see why that is "unhealthy" per se, unless you are looking for a problem that doesn't exist? Even IF your hypothesis had any foundation in reality, what would the problem be? Again, you are in danger of patronising the Runrig fan base by implying they are somehow being 'taken in' by what you seem to perceive as a cunning plot to sell records. Maybe I should hand back by Runrig collection because the only reason I got into them was through listening to other artists. It was the fact that Runrig sounded similar to other artists I liked that I got into them in the first place. That's how it works!

Annabel.f wrote:Also, I don't understand why Coast receive more feedback and discussion than Brian's album on this forum?!
Very good question....! ;-)

Annabel.f wrote: I'm sure there will be disagreement to what I've said. These are just my honest opinions and by no means meant as a slagging!! Everyone is entitled to that and i look forward to hearing more of yours. I must stress I don't hate the music.
Of course, constructive debate about anything is healthy and to be encouraged. That said, I think it's a valid observation made by one or two people on here that it's "a bit odd" to sign up to the messageboard of one band simply to criticise another. Human nature being what it is can only arouse suspicion in such motivation. It wouldn't even cross my mind to do that about a band that I didn't like much. I would just let it pass by and get on with loving the music that I love.

That said, we're all different so I won't overtly criticse you for doing what others perceive to be "odd".

All the best and thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts and perceptions.

Martin

p.s. I'm off for a lie down now! :-)
0 x

Return to “Other Music”